Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route Planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route Planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
margek56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Route Planning Reply with quote

Firstly thanks for the invaluable assistance I have read so far. I have been trying to prepare a route of some 500kms from the Snowy Mountains to Sydney in NSW Australia. There are many speed changes and several main highways involved. I followed Mike Alder and other forum members' advice about using a small side road and then delecting it and selecting the segments where I really want to make the changes.
after a while I got the hang of it and have managed to have most of the route corrected.
I still have one difficult section in the middle where the highway goes through Canberra (another State) and intend to attack that section now.
I am worried that if I make a mistake now I could undo some of my hard work to date. Can I save this route in its present state and if so HOW? Can I back up this route to my PC so that any further speed Map Corrections I make will not ruin my work to date. I have a TomTom XXL540S
Margek
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi margek56, As far as I know, any changes you make to your map using the "Map Corrections" icon are saved as soon as you confirm the change by pressing the "Done" icon. You will not delete previous corrections by making an error later.

The corrections you are making are probably saved in the Mapsettings.cfg file which is saved in the same Folder that your map is saved in. I am sure that if this information is wrong somebody else shall be along to correct me very soon.

I am not sure I know what you are asking about saving a prepared route. On my Go730 there are two methods of route planning;
a) "Prepare Route", here you simply confirm where you are departing from and then where your destination is and the SatNav plans a route according to your pre-set "Planning Preferences" You have the option of diverting the route to one waypoint using the "Travel Via" icon. A route planned this way can not be saved.
Alternatively, b) Using "Itinerary Planning" it is possible to plan a more detailed route with several Waypoints. This Itinerary can be given a name and then saved for later. When saved it is stored in the "itn" folder on the TT.

If you are planning a 500km route on your TT I should imagine that it is quite tricky, have you considered using either "Tyre" or the "Houghi Script"? both of which are on-line tools for route planning using your PC and the internet which can thenbe saved on your TT.

Regards, Ali.

EDIT - I have just re-read your original post margek56, if the route you are wanting to save is the corrections you are making, paragraphs 3 & 4 in my reply are superfluous.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:

The corrections you are making are probably saved in the Mapsettings.cfg file which is saved in the same Folder that your map is saved in.

I am sure that if this information is wrong somebody else shall be along to correct me very soon.

Running all the way! Very Happy

They aren't in MapSettings.cfg

This is how I *think* it works....

Firstly, there is a small file in the map directory called 'MapUserPatch.dat'.
However, that file doesn't seem to contain the actual corrections.
Instead, it refers to changes in a file in the root directory called 'UserPatch.dat' which actually contains the details of the changes.

If you delete either file they recreate themselves but if you do not have a matching pair you seem to lose the changes.
margek56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: route planning Reply with quote

I have had a lot of invaluable advice on the forum and have managed to change all the speed limits which were incorrect on quite a long route in Australia. I have also copied all the files on my TomTomXXL 540 to my hard drive via Windows Explorer as recommended.
Two questions now
Firstly will this route with all its corrections work in reverse. I have corrected it on a trip from Adaminaby to Sydney, approx 600km. Now if I run it from Sydney to Adaminaby will the speed corrections still include my corrections? I realise II can run a Route Demo but that takes a long time if there is a simple answer.
Also relevant to this why it is so difficult to set the speed to run the demo. Does Tom Tom default to 500 times for a longer route because no matter where I tap the slider it bounces back to 500 even on a shorter route.
Secondly if I need to use my computer backup can I restore only the files relevant to this route with POI's etc or must I restore the whole lot and overwrite all my files.
Margek
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: route planning Reply with quote

margek56 wrote:

Firstly will this route with all its corrections work in reverse. I have corrected it on a trip from Adaminaby to Sydney, approx 600km. Now if I run it from Sydney to Adaminaby will the speed corrections still include my corrections?

The speed corrections are for the road itself, nothing to do with your route, so they will work in the reverse direction UNLESS there are dual carriageways involved and you haven't corrected both carriageways.

margek56 wrote:
I realise I can run a Route Demo but that takes a long time if there is a simple answer.
Also relevant to this why it is so difficult to set the speed to run the demo. Does Tom Tom default to 500 times for a longer route because no matter where I tap the slider it bounces back to 500 even on a shorter route.

I've never seen that problem before. On every TomTom I've owned you can simply drag the slider to wherever you want (in 5% steps).
Maybe you have some grit stuck under the edge of the screen? Try running the corner of a piece of thick paper around under the bezel.

margek56 wrote:
Secondly if I need to use my computer backup can I restore only the files relevant to this route with POI's etc or must I restore the whole lot and overwrite all my files.
Margek

I think there may be a bit of confusion here.... There AREN'T any files associated with a particular route if you set it up normally. Every route is calculated "on the fly" whenever you tell the TomTom to go there.

But if you stored the route as an "Itinerary" then that file is stored in the "itn" folder as a .itn file with the name you chose when you saved it. You can back that up and copy/paste it back whenever you like, if you have deleted it off the machine. Otherwise just leave it there.

POIs are stored on the machine all the time, and once again they don't really have anything to do with a particular route.
The POI files are all saved in the folder for the map you are currently using. They have an .ov2 file extension and there is also a .bmp icon file to go with each (with the same name). You can backup and restore those if you need to as well, using normal copy and paste routines, but once again there's no need to remove them in the first place.

Hope that all makes sense! Ask again if it's not clear.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much exactly the same advice our Aussie friend when she posted the same query at TTF! Cheers!
margek56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Route planning Reply with quote

Thanks all. You may realise I am a new TT owner and am trying to understand it like a computer. Getting there slowly but my terminology is a bit off. I am sorry if I should not have posted the same message on this forum and the Tom Tom forum but I don't know the connection between the two forums and thought two requests for help would be better than one.
Again your answers are helping me to understand what I am doing. I am 75 years old and GPS technology is a whole new (and interestin g) world.
Margek
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely NO reason to be sorry. You are wise to find answers wherever you can, really! Be very proud of yourself.

It is the many, many users of this or any technology who never try to find answers to their questions that unfortunately get into a great deal of problems.

You keep posting wherever and whenever you like.
margek56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Route planning Reply with quote

Thanks and thanks again. All becoming clearer and I have practised saving an itinerary and also saving it to my computer OK. I was pleased to see that my speed corrections were used when viewing these routes.

One more question. Is there any way of planning an itinerary starting from anywhere other than home or where I am now? I am back in Sydney but like to plan a sightsseing itinerary from Adaminaby to a few other places (not including Sydney). I tried changing my Home address but TT still wanted to take me from where I am now. The only success I had was when I had TT inside for a long time and it lost its satellites and didn't know where I was and gave me the opportunity to select a starting POI.
Margek56
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being able to select a starting point is not good.

If you want a simple itinerary you can plan one by using the advance planning feature then adding a "via" but it only lets you add one, so you have a start, a waypoint and an end point.

You can simulate losing satellites by going into options then selecting flight mode.

As it is not mentioned above, and you may already know this, but changing the speed limits on a road only affects the speed limit display and warnings, it does not affect the speed that TomTom calculates you will be driving along that road when planning a route.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi margek56,
Paragraphs 3 & 4 of my previous reply do apply now.

If you plan an itinerary on your TT it is possible to tap the screen and save several waypoints along the route you wish to travel. To create an itinerary select the "Itineray Planning" icon which (on my Go730) is on menu page 3, bottom line.

If you are not presently at the startpoint at which you shall be starting your travels from, simply create the FIRST waypoint about 50m away, but on the route, from where you do intend starting from. Once you have created your route you can give it a name and save it for later use. You can create, name and save several Itineraries for later use.

The only reason to create the FIRST waypoint as suggested above is so that you can view the entire itinerary beyond this waypoint/start-point, otherwise the TT shall show you the route from your present location (i.e. Sydney?) to your first REAL waypoint without going anywhere near your intended starting point.

Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
margek56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Route planning Reply with quote

Thanks for help.
Mr. T you say I can simulate losing satellites by going into options, flight mode. What is this? I have a TT XXL540 and is this an available option?
Margek56
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can run your device using TomTom Home you have the option to choose your present position. For itinerary planning, you can make this the start of your planned route.
Sometimes, when not near a PC, I go inside the house where there is no satellite signal and once again you are given the option to choose your current position.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: