Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 750 runs out of memory when using latest map guarantee.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

750 runs out of memory when using latest map guarantee.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: 750 runs out of memory when using latest map guarantee. Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem that others seem to have, and would be grateful for the procedure. I bought a new 750 from Amazon, and it arrived today. Did a full back up using Windows Explorer, and then went to TT HOME. I was offered the latest map, which downloaded and then failed to load to the 750, with an error message saying 9mb short of memory.

I reloaded the device from the back-up, but got an error message saying I couldn't use this map on this device.

I bought a 4gb card and put it in the 750, and connected to home. It recognised the card, and I selected the card for future downloads, but when I then tried to reload the new map, it said it was loading to the internal memory, and then the memory card. Once again it ran out of space internally, and refused to load to the memory card because of "previous failure".

Where do I go from here?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, as you have the map on your computer simply open the download using WinRar and extract the contents straight to the memory card, when you have extracted the large file set repeat but this time extract the activation code to the folder WinRar created on your memory card when you extracted the first file set.
If this doesn't make sense its probably because I have just got out of bed! - Post back and I will create some better instructions - Simple upshot is not to use TomTom Home to install maps as its crap - Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To install the map manually without using TomTom Home follow the guide below, note you will still have to download the map to your computer using Home, but after that you can shut down Home and use this method:

Advantages:

You specify whether the map is installed to the memory car or the internal Flash memory, something Home is incapable of getting right!

You have the option to "Prune" certain unwanted files for the ASR feature reducing the resultant map folder storage space required.

To start with download and install WinRar to your computer, you can download the application by clicking Here

Next locate where Home has stored the new map download on your computer, you can find this location from within Home if you tap Tools/ Preferences and then select folder preferences, use Windows Explorer to locate where the map download is stored, it should be My Documents/ TomTom/ Home/ Download/ Complete/ map each map download is stored in its own folder, if you have more than one map be sure to select the correct one (the date associated with the folder is a good clue) :

Right click the Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB.zip file and select Open With/ WinRar, the WinRar application will start up displaying the contents of the downloaded folder. Select all the files in the folder by scooping them up with the mouse or click the file at the top followed by clicking the file at the bottom while holding down the Shift key.
If you are short of space or don't want the ASR files loading to the device press and hold the "CTrL" key while you click the mouse on each file you want to deselect, in this case I have removed all ASR files except the one associated with Great Britain:

Click the "Extract" button and then select the drive letter associated with either the TomTom PND Flash memory or the external memory card, in this case Drive "K" make sure the folder path is correct as this details where you want the files to be put, WinRar will create the folder if it doesn't exist, in this case I am using K:\Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB (Note the folder name is the same as the zip file name less the .zip extension).

Hit the OK button and WinRar will process the downloaded zip file extracting all the files to the correctly named folder on the memory card or device as applicable:

Next we have to put the activation file in to the same map folder created above, right click the file activation_map_XYZ.cab (XYZ will be a set of numbers specific to your download) again choose Open With/ WinRar:

Select the .meta.dct file and click "Extract"

Point the WinRar application at the folder where you want the activation code to be placed, in this case k:\Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB Hit the "OK" button to complete this step.

With all the files in the correctly named folder the contents should look like this, you might have more cspeech files if you decided not to "prune" the files:

Put the memory card in to the device and select the map to be able to use it, it might appear long winded but this process takes longer to extract the files than clicking the options, a 2GB Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB map folder can be installed in under 15 minutes using this method - Mike
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the downloaded folder, I have the following additional files.

Europe_2GB.toc 5kb
Map14478.gif
Map 14478-1.gif
NEa04648 404,410 kb

Do I need to do anything with them
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did all that and on Windows Explorer, the files are all on the card. But the 750 doesn't show the card as a second map. There is only one map shown with the message "Problem with map. You cannot use this map on this device : Europe_2GB-112"

I tried to restore from my back-up and get the same message.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extra files in the download folder are not required you can ignore them, as for the map not being recognised try downloading and running the "Clear Flash" utility three times, this doesn't wipe the device but often repairs issues with map activation/ recognition - Mike
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get the new map on the sd card, but the device won't recognise the existence of the new map. Only one map appears in the list, and that's the one in the internal memory.. I've had enough and it's going back to Amazon.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you go to all that hassle, copy the map folder from your device and paste it onto your desktop. You could then delete the map folder from your device, replace the card (which has a map on it) and see if it works. If you are still having problems then, the map on your card is probably corrupt in some way. At that stage I would tend to agree with you - put the map folder from your desktop back onto the device and return to Amazon
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that Robin, but then I got a message saying I had no maps. DHL are picking up the 750 today, and my 950 should be arriving. I presume that the 950 has adequate memory to accept the new maps. If not I will simply transfer the USA map folder to my PC, and that will free up more than enough space.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 950 has 4GB of internal storage, you will have to put the USA map on to the computer though as storage space is still tight with this device due to the combined size of the Western Europe and North American maps - Mike
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

950 arrived today and had 500mb of free memory. I used the latest map guarantee, and both the USA and Europe maps loaded without a murmur. Added the PGPSW cameras for UK and Europe, and the .ogg files and they are now fully operational.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, how much memory does the 950 have built in as they (TT) have either increased the amount of memory fitted or perhaps your maps have no ASR files in them as there shouldn't be anything spare with an up to date 950 - Mike
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I'm trying to copy my western european map to my SD card too.
I have a new 8GB card which the TomTom recognises.

However, I'm having problems formatting it so as to copy the Map which I have copied to the desktop.

When I put the SD card into the card reader, it shows up under 'My Computer' as 4.12 GB with the name 'NEW' - which I believe is a default of Windows Vista.

However, it also shows up under properties as 'Full' and Windows will not let me Format it - says it's Write Protected (even though I slide the slider back on the SD Card adaptor before inserting into the built in reader.)

[edit: having now had a mess with it - it is showing as an empty 8gb disk. Good, but, it is still "write-protected" so unusable. That is, I can't copy a map to it. I know I'm probably showing my ignorance, but when I push the SD Card in its adptor into the card reader - it automatically slides the lock on,. Is this then making it write-protected? How do you bypass write-protection then? Help!)

It also says I have insufficient admin priviliges to rename the card, even though i am always logged on as Adminstrator and never get this warning for anything else.

So I can't format it nor copy anything to via the card reader it (says insufficient space). Is it a problem with the Micro SD Card adaptor, or what do you think?
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you 100% sure your card reader is fully SDHC compliant? If not it won't read the new type card correctly, look on the reader for a specific SDHC logo - Mike
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

According to Windows explorer, the 950 has a capacity of 3.74GB, and at present, having loaded the latest maps and the camera data + ogg files, I have 447MB free.

My Europe map folder contains 1.86GB version 845.2702, and the North America folder 1.32GB version 845.2645.

When I tried to download to the 750, there were shedloads of cspeech files. The 950 Europe folder only contains cspeech_GBR and cspeech_IRS, so it could be that they are now customising these files on the basis of your country of download, to reduce the folder size.

Last edited by TomDavison on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: