Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Adding POI ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding POI ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Adding POI ? Reply with quote

Hi all

What is the best way of adding POI to routes.

Is it best done when planning a route before downloading to the Active 10. Do the POIs transfer ok.

Or do people import a route into the active 10 then add POI

Many thanks for your time

Regards

Mike
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you've had no reply I'll give it a bash. The POI file is a separate file and not directly connected with the route file. You can create them in whichever order you wish. Assuming you are creating the POI on Satmap I would suggest you may wish to create the route first, then you can use this as a guide when adding POI's, but it's totally up to you.
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd definately create the POIs outside of Satmap then import them. The reason for this is that you can create them quicker and give them descriptions before importing them.

As Jonesback has said they are seperate files to the routes so it is up to you whether you create them before the route or after.

You can create POIs in many ways, Google Earth is a free way of doing it, you can give each POI a name and a description then save them as KMZ or KML and import them into satmap. Satmap will convert them to a .map file and put them all in folder.

If you have the satmap route planner, you could create your route there first then import that route into Google Earth and plot your POIs around it.

Or, you could do the route and POIs in one go in a third party mapping program, I use Quo for this purpose.
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10 wrote:
Or, you could do the route and POIs in one go in a third party mapping program, I use Quo for this purpose.

Gibbo10,

Just started with Quo. In general I'm finding my way, but I can't seen how to produce PoIs and save them in the right form. Can you help?

Chris
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisJakarta wrote:

Gibbo10,

Just started with Quo. In general I'm finding my way, but I can't seen how to produce PoIs and save them in the right form. Can you help?

Chris

Yes, it is quite straight forward,

1. Open Quo, Click New
2. If the Explorer box doesn't appear press F5
3. Click on "Layer" in the explorer box
4. Click "WPTs" on the menu bar (with the red flag), to start a new "waypoint set"
5. Now click on the map where you want the first waypoint.
6. Enter the name and the description in the dialog box that appears and click ok
7. Repeat steps 5 & 6 as many times as you need to.
8. When you have finished adding waypoints, right click on the open Waypoint set in the explorer bar and click "End Waypoint set"
9. Right click on the waypoint set again and select "export to" then "File".
10. Give you file a name and change the "Save as" to "GPX XML (schema version 1) (*.gpx)" and click save.

Now connect up satmap to satsync and import the saved gpx file and it should appear in your"POI Menu"

Hope this helps
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10,

Thanks, that helps a lot - I have yet to get my hands on my Active 10, but I'm trying to get myself informed and prepared.

One more question: The .gpx file does include reference to the icon for each point in the 'sym' element. But does that reference actually tie up with anything when imported into the Active 10? Is there a way to export the actual symbols from Quo?

Thanks again...

Chris
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisJakarta wrote:
Gibbo10,

The .gpx file does include reference to the icon for each point in the 'sym' element. But does that reference actually tie up with anything when imported into the Active 10? Is there a way to export the actual symbols from Quo?

Thanks again...

Chris

Chris, no it doesn't. however, Satmap has a library of POI icons or you can create and import your own 16px x 16px. The file path the satmap icons is for example: (between the sym tags

Code:
\Flash Disk\My POI Icons\0.Targets__001_Target_Traditional.png

Satmap supports tab delimited files so full instructions are contained in the Satsync user manual, you can certainly download this software from the satmap website now and start having a look at the userguide.

You could therefore export your quo file as tab delimited txt file instead of a gpx file then open it in excel, format the columns as you need it to and add the file path to your icon and then save it again as a tab delimited file.

I'm sure that it wouldn't be that difficult to write an excel template that creates the file from the data you drop in from quo.

If you are technically minded you could use GSAK software and write a macro to create the POI file. GSAK is really designed for geocaching POIs but it probably could be used.

What will the main purpose of your satmap be used for?
ChrisJakarta
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibbo10,

First, please forgive the delay in responding - a lightning strike put me out of business for a bit.

Thanks for suggesting I download the SatSync software - for some reason I'd assumed that I'd have to wait till I had the hardware. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet; let you know if I have problems.

I had previously downloaded the POI icons file. [Question: can one add icons directly into this file before uploading?] Edited: just found the section in the manual which indicates how to do this. Sorry!

You ask what I will use the Satmap for. It'll be primarily for walking - I'm well into planning a nine-day hike in the Peak District. Actually I was rather against GPS, having been brought up to be proud of my map-reading, and the last time I hiked in the Peaks was in the 1960's, when there wasn't an option! But as something of a geek, the temptation to try out a new 'toy' was too strong, and I must say I've already been having a lot of fun learning about GPX files and PoIs. I've also really enjoyed using Quo to plan my routes - it's so much easier than using a piece of thread to measure distances, and trying to navigate map turnovers.

I'll only get the Satmap after I return to the UK at the end of this month, and I'm really looking forward to that. But in the meantime, I want to be prepared...

Again, thanks for your help.

Chris
Gibbo10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisJakarta wrote:
Gibbo10,
I had previously downloaded the POI icons file. Question: can one add icons directly into this file before uploading?
Chris

Yes, you can.

You will have seen that the POI Icon file comes in a zip file if you open the zip file you will see that it contains a folder structure. Depending on where you put the icon will depend on where it appears in the list in satmap. You will also see that there are a ton of POIs that personally are not much help in the UK, unless you need to plot meerkats and elephants on your map!! if you want to declutter you can always delete these.

If you need any advise on creating your Icons let me know as I made most of the geocaching icons and targets that are in the file for satmap.

Once you have dropped you icons in the file then re-zip it and import it into sat map. WHATEVER YOU DO DONT CHANGE THE NAME OF THE ZIP FILE.

Good luck with your planning, what you may also like to do is export your route out of Quo as a KML file and open it in google earth so you can see the terrain that's quite cool.

There are loads of helpful users on thsi forum so post any questions, someone will be able to help.

You will never return to paper maps again - the unit is briliant.

Don't forget to take plenty of battery power with you though for nine days.

I use high power AA rechargable batteries from 7dayshop.com. I get about a day out of them, you may want to look at other posts on the subject.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: