Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map udates - are they worth it ..?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map udates - are they worth it ..?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MapShare already submited. Both to block them and request removal...
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the NEW A228 which has been open so long it now needs resurfacing because of the lorry tracks which still is not on the new maps(also reported on numerous occasions).(This is the main lorry route to Thamesport for the container lorries)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
I think there should be a rule, that if an update a user submits doesn't get included within 6 months then their maps are free until it does
There's a real problem with that - the update submissions include daft ones like the change to 20mph for 3 or 4 hours per weekday for school hours over a length of 200 yards (just a point about this - I personally consider that "correction" to be stupid, but obviously somebody else thinks otherwise - which should TomTom regard as valid? His "correction" or my "stupidity"?). And the 50mph on a motorway I encountered the other day - these two examples are updates which HAVE been included. I can tell you of several inaccuracies in my area which never get put right for all the number of times I've reported them - but can you believe me? - how reliable am I? I'm 70 years old and approaching Alzheimers maybe! I'm absolutely certain there are quite a lot more inaccurate submissions - I know that from doing verification of camera submissions here (and from sometimes trying to do camera submissions myself). I'm sure that all (or at least most) submissions are sent in with the best of intentions, but without a strong verification sytem I would hate for TomTom to start including any submission, be they mine or yours. I don't download any MapShare corrections (partly) because I don't trust them.

Daggers wrote:
That maths leaves a little to be desired! 1% of Britain + 9% of Europe does not make a total of 10%.
I wish I understood this. My initial thinking was that Lost_Property meant that if 9% of the corrections numerically were in Europe and 1% numerically were in UK&ROI. Last time I saw the number offered for my latest map, there were about 400 on offer - I'd see LP's figures as meaning 40 for UK and 360 for Europe. By the way, the TT map download page describes W&C Europe as nearly 10 million Kms of road (which would include UK&ROI) and UK&ROI as 690,000. As I'm hopeless at sums, I leave them to Anita and hopefully she'll be along soon to make me feel more comfortable with them. As for what changes are counted as new in the new maps, I'm quite sure every little speed limit change, every little blocked access and no turn restriction is part of the figures.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TT map download page describes W&C Europe as nearly 10 million Kms of road (which would include UK&ROI) and UK&ROI as 690,000.

Assuming it was an even spread then

400 changes = 0.00374% of total.
UK+RI = 25.8 changes in 690000
Rest of Europe = 374 changes in 10000000

It appears, from working with percentages, that the 10000000 does not include the 690000 Kms for the UK & ROI.

So, the original poster asked if map updates were worth it. Apparently not.

Off Topic And Dennis, the Bible says we get three score years and ten.......

Aren't you worried? Razz
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theripper wrote:
The trouble is, if you are driving down from London and want to come off at that exit, by the time it tells you to turn off its too late and you then have to go to Jcn 3
Are there not big blue signs at the right place Very Happy Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Off Topic And Dennis, the Bible says we get three score years and ten.......

Aren't you worried? Razz

Yes Evil or Very Mad - and No Twisted Evil - my will has just arrived from the solicitor for signature and so has the cover note for insurance on my new van.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a mail from TomTom offering me 18 months of updates (that is, 6 of them) for £35.80. That's a lot cheaper than a new sat nav!

But is it worth it? I am STILL waiting for the two main roundabouts in Rochdale to become traffic lights on the maps - in real life, it happened about 3 years ago - garmin has it correct.

Alan
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
theripper wrote:
The trouble is, if you are driving down from London and want to come off at that exit, by the time it tells you to turn off its too late and you then have to go to Jcn 3
Are there not big blue signs at the right place Very Happy Twisted Evil

Yes there are big blue signs, but you and I both know that(especially if they don't know the area)a lot of people follow their satnavs and as you drive down the M2 the Lane Guidance gives you a big picture with three flashing arrows taking you past the actual slip road and then tells you to turn left onto the slip roads that don't exist.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a test from Sole Street to Rushdean Road, Strood. With old slip roads blocked it routes correctly but unblock and you'd miss the exit.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
I've just had a mail from TomTom offering me 18 months of updates (that is, 6 of them) for £35.80. That's a lot cheaper than a new sat nav! .........

Reading this this morning, I thought that I would see what TT offered me by way of updating my maps. Sadly, TT are not quite so generous to me as they are to you, alan_sh. Sad
My Go730 is less than a year old and I used LMG upon opening the box. TTHome is offering to bring my maps up to date and install the next 18 months of map updates for £79.60. or just download the latest map at £74.95. So, not buying a map for two/three years saves me £150-£160.

Edited several times because I can't add up! Embarassed
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
My Go730 is less than a year old and I used LMG upon opening the box. TTHome is offering to bring my maps up to date and install the next 18 months of map updates for £79.60. or just download the latest map at £74.95. So, not buying a map for two/three years saves me £150-£160.
TT have factored in the cost to bring the Map up to the latest version.

See Here.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
........TT have factored in the cost to bring the Map up to the latest version. ..........

Hi Richard, It is too early for my head to get round the sums this morning (I need tea!) but presumably if TT have discounted the price of the maps to bring me up to date, this means that I shall have actually saved more by not updating previously?
Regards.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Pieman1972
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just clicked through for a "personal" quotation.....my Western Europe maps are about 10 months old (got the device in May 2009)

Upgrade to latest map : 29.85
Update service (18 months) : 39.80

Making a grand total : 69.65

Am considering this as will be travelling France during the holidays....does that sound reasonable?
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
I've just had a mail from TomTom offering me 18 months of updates (that is, 6 of them) for £35.80.

I had the same email.....Probably everyone will get the same offer if they have the latest map.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, had this one as well.

I haven't worked out if i can get away with the lower price or have to pay additional to get up to date 1st.

My map is out of date, being the last update provided last year under the 4 quarterly update thing I was subscribed to.

I'll do the sums and see, I wasn't going to bother with the map guarantee, but if I can actually get 18 months for the price of 12 so to speak - I may take up the offer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: