Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT930t newbie needs help with customisation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT930t newbie needs help with customisation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: TT930t newbie needs help with customisation Reply with quote

In a previous life I had a TTN5 which ran on my IPAQ but today I have splashed out on a new TT Go 930 traffic. I could do with help on a few customisations:-

Favorites - can I copy a favourite file from the IPAQ (TTN5) to the Go930. Where are they located and are they compatible? How do you install them into the Go930?
POI - ditto
Voices - I have some custom voices on a memory sick. How do I install them into the 930. Are voice files from TTN5 compatible with Go930
Colour schemes - can I import a colour scheme from TTN5 to Go930 - where in the Go930 are they located/how do I import and are they compatible. I used to use an application to design my colour schemes but was long time ago and cannot remember what it was called. I have a new computer now (MAC) - is such a thing available for a GO930?
Custom button layout - I had an application that allowed me to edit the button content and layout for each screen. Again cant remember much detail now but is this still available for a Go930?

Not realy customisation questions but...
TMC - I have a European version of Go930T. Does the same TMC antenna work in US and UK - I saw ebay selling US versions (much cheaper) and wondered whats the difference? Taking the Go930 to US next month so wanted to make sure the traffic updates would work there aswell.
SD Card - what size/type of SD cards can a Go930 handle. Is the card just for additional maps or can you use it for music, voices, POI, etc. How does TomTom know here to look for say POIs if you have some on hard drive and some on card.

And finally ....I plan to get a case and a non-slip dash "holder" for the Go930 - any particular ones to go for or avoid? or should I just dip into ebay to see what I like the look of??

Your help would be really appreciated.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TT930t newbie needs help with customisation Reply with quote

Quite a raft of questions to go at in one post so here goes:
nontechmike wrote:
Favorites - can I copy a favourite file from the IPAQ (TTN5) to the Go930. Where are they located and are they compatible? How do you install them into the Go930?
The easy way is to convert the favourites in to a custom POI file which is detailed on the FAQ Page #15 which can be found by clicking Here

nontechmike wrote:
POI - ditto
Copy the files that end with extensions of .ov2 and .bmp from the iPAQ map folder to the Western_Europe map folder on the 930

nontechmike wrote:
Voices - I have some custom voices on a memory sick. How do I install them into the 930. Are voice files from TTN5 compatible with Go930
Yes they will work fine, on the iPAQ you will have a "voices" folder, locate the custom voices in that and copy them to the "voices" folder on the 930.

nontechmike wrote:
Colour schemes - can I import a colour scheme from TTN5 to Go930 - where in the Go930 are they located/how do I import and are they compatible. I used to use an application to design my colour schemes but was long time ago and cannot remember what it was called. I have a new computer now (MAC) - is such a thing available for a GO930?
Copy the content from the "schemes" folder on the iPAQ to the "schemes" folder on the 930

nontechmike wrote:
Custom button layout - I had an application that allowed me to edit the button content and layout for each screen. Again cant remember much detail now but is this still available for a Go930?
Add a folder called "SDKRegistry" to the root of the 930's memory and put the TomTom.mnu file in it as this will activate the custom menu, note you will lose the MapShare and HelpMe functions as these are not called up in the same way as other menu options, everything else should be Ok though.

nontechmike wrote:
TMC - I have a European version of Go930T. Does the same TMC antenna work in US and UK - I saw ebay selling US versions (much cheaper) and wondered whats the difference? Taking the Go930 to US next month so wanted to make sure the traffic updates would work there aswell.
No the European and USA RDS receivers are different devices, the European is free to use for the life of the device but the USA version is different hardware and requires a subscription.

nontechmike wrote:
SD Card - what size/type of SD cards can a Go930 handle. Is the card just for additional maps or can you use it for music, voices, POI, etc. How does TomTom know here to look for say POIs if you have some on hard drive and some on card.
32GB is the largest size card your device can accept and use, both SD and SDHC styles are supported, as for POI files they MUST be in the map folder they are expected to work with, a map can reside on the internal memory or the SD card but you cannot put a map on internal and have its assocated POI files on the SD, if you find you running low on storage space consider a 4GB or 8GB class 6 SDHC card for the device and put everything on it, maps, music, application etc.

nontechmike wrote:
And finally ....I plan to get a case and a non-slip dash "holder" for the Go930 - any particular ones to go for or avoid? or should I just dip into ebay to see what I like the look of??
Carcomm are well worth considering as they provide a wide range of decent powered car holders for the device - Mike
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - quick response and so comprehensive - huge thanks. Very Happy

re custom button layout - do you know where I can find the application (that runs on MAC OS) to create a new tomtom.mnu file?

Thanks again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about text editting on a MAC but anything that is capable of performing edits and saving a simple text file will work fine, below is a sample menu of one of my older devices which should give you a clue about the text file format, below that is another list of all the commands that can be employed:

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main menu 1 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK1|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAIR_WITH_PHONE
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PHONE|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main menu 2 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main menu 3 of 3|
MENUITEM|TASK_BUDDIES|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

Now for the list of whats available:

TASK_NONE
TASK_EMPTY
BTM_GPS_POSITION
BTM_DONE
BTM_TRAFFIC_INFO
TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES
TASK_SWITCH_ASN
TASK_SET_VOICE
TASK_SET_LANGUAGE
TASK_SET_DIST_UNITS
TASK_SET_CLOCK_TYPE
TASK_SET_GEO
TASK_SWITCH_TIPS
TASK_SET_VOLUME
TASK_SWITCH_SOUND
TASK_SHOW_STATUS
TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS
TASK_SET_BRIGHTNESS
TASK_SET_BACKLIGHT
TASK_RESET_SETTINGS
TASK_SWITCH_BLUETOOTH
TASK_SWITCH_CLOCK
TASK_LEFTHANDED
TASK_ROTATE_DISPLAY
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_SIZE
TASK_SET_KEYBOARD_TYPE
TASK_SET_PROMPT
TASK_SET_COMPASS
TASK_SET_STATUS
TASK_SWITCH_NIGHTVIEW
TASK_SET_COLOR_SCHEMES
TASK_SET_DAY_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_SET_NIGHT_COLOR_SCHEME
TASK_CHANGE_HOME_LOCATION
TASK_MAINTAIN_FAVORITES
TASK_ADD_FAVORITE
TASK_SET_SAFETY_SPEED
TASK_SWITCH_2D3D
TASK_SET_MAP
TASK_DELETE_MAP
TASK_SHOW_MAP
TASK_SET_HIDEMAP
TASK_SWITCH_POI
TASK_CONFIGURE_POI
TASK_MAINTAIN_POI
TASK_MENU_RECALC_BLOCK
TASK_AVOID_ROUTE_LINE
TASK_PLAN_VIA
TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES
TASK_ASK_CHANGE_OWNER
TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC
TASK_TRAFFIC_SETTINGS
TASK_TRAFFIC_ENABLE
TASK_TRAFFIC_UPDATE
TASK_TRAFFIC_REPLAN
TASK_TRAFFIC_VIEW
TASK_TRAFFIC_EXPLAIN
TASK_RDSTMC_SELECT_COUNTRY
TASK_NAVIGATE_TO
TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB
TASK_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_CONFIRM_DELETE_ROUTE
TASK_SET_TOLL
TASK_SET_PLANTYPE
TASK_SET_CRADLE
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_DEMO
TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_SHOW_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_STEP_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS
TASK_ABOUT
TASK_ITINERARY
TASK_TUTORIAL
TASK_EXIT_APP
TASK_SET_NAME_DISPLAY
TASK_SHOW_WEATHER
TASK_MANAGE_MAPS
TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD
TASK_DOWNLOAD_MAP
TASK_DOWNLOAD_POI
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VOICE
TASK_DOWNLOAD_SCHEME
TASK_DOWNLOAD_VERSION_NUMBER
TASK_SERVICE_LOGIN
TASK_HELP_GENERAL
TASK_HELP_MAINMENU
TASK_HELP_MAPBROWSER
TASK_HELP_ZOOMING
TASK_HELP_TRAFFIC
TASK_HELP_ITINERARY
TASK_HELP_PLANNING
TASK_MENU_PHONE
TASK_PAIR_WITH_PHONE
TASK_DIAL_POI
BLOCK_MAIN
BLOCK_PREF
BLOCK_CURSOR
TASK_SDK
TASK_PAGE
TASK_BUDDIES
TASK_DOC_BROWSER
TASK_IMAGE_BROWSER
TASK_IPOD
TASK_JUKEBOX
TASK_MULTIMEDIA
TASK_PLAN_TO_MAPLOC
TASK_NEARBY_POICAT
TASK_CENTER_ON_MAP
TASK_DO_ADD_FAVOURITE
TASK_CURSOR_INTO_POI
TASK_TRAVEL_VIA
MENUBLOCK
MENUPAGE
MENUITEM

There used to be some online menu edit capabilities but the last time I checked these sites they were no longer available so you will have to resort to a text edit - it doesn't take long though to get the desired result - Mike
nontechmike
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike - you're a star Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: