Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - latest home & updates now unable to access 530
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

latest home & updates now unable to access 530
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: latest home & updates now unable to access 530 Reply with quote

Sorry if this has been covered already but I couldn't see anything in the first 2 pages of topics.

I connected my 530 to pc this morning. I started home and it came up with updates, which if my memory is correct had update for x30 application and voice updates. The application update, I believe was for the 530 sdk(?) and as I use a sd for mp3 songs I thought nothing more of it and pressed install. Then before installing voice updates another window opened saying there was update for home. I clicked ok and thought no more. Re started the pc and now my 530 wont start or connect with home. I cant get past the green start screen, even when connecting to pc. It doesn't give option of connect to pc, as before.
The green screen usually shows tt device and hard drive symbol but now shows a flashing blue 'book' symbol next to where the hdd symbol usually appears. It doesn't go any further than that. If I remove the sd card then it shows me to replace it. The 530 now thinks it boots from sd card. Evil or Very Mad
I tried to reset device but no change. I have backup but the pc wont see 530 to re install backup. It shows a device is connected but asks for a disk to be inserted when trying to open it. Guess the pc sees the 530 as an expensive card reader! Crying or Very sad

Any help would be appreciated...

Oh... have been having battery issues but just incase it helps. It takes about a minute before black TT start page appears and another minute before green screen appaers. Confused

The moral of the story is if home tells you there's an update for your device, you cant trust it to get it right!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there was a bug in the latest application of Home that it would ignore the user's choice for where to install selected items like maps and applications and, instead, try to install on BOTH the card and internal or on internal instead of card and vice-versa.

Also, the application is geared to boot from the sdhc card if it sees an application there.

So, if you can connect to the computer (not Home) with the sdhc card installed, use Explorer to see what is on the sdhc card. If you originally ONLY had a mp3 folder there, see if you now have a bunch of loose files not in folders on the card as well. These would represent the application.

Try deleting these loose files if there, remove the sdhc card, make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your internal unit's contents.

Now, delete all the loose files in the root of the internal, NO folders or their contents. Connect to Home without the sdhc card and you should be offered an application. Accept and install.

Remove the unit properly from Home (use the Device disconnect icon) and restart the unit. Is it working ok?

If so, reinsert the sdhc card and again connect to Home. Have things improved?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an odd "Home" glitch to me.

Firstly, there hasn't been a software update for the Go x20/x30 models for ages (May 2009)
And secondly, the mention of SDK implies the old Software Developers kit, which TomTom scrapped in 2007!

Can you remember what software version you were on before, and what version Home offered kiwi69?
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys.

The home version it is now is 2.7.3.1894. It was a 2.7 version before, but which I can't remember.

If i go into home, manage my device, the applications versions listed are 8.351, 8.302, 8.350

Map version 835.2419

I deleted all folders and files on the sd card that home put there as dhn suggested but no joy. It still wont see the interal memory and odly enough, although home doesn't show the 530 connected it says update for application and puts it on the sd card when sd connected to 530. remove sd card and nothing. Crying or Very sad
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried to connect the 530 without sd card, on my wifes laptop, which doesn't have home installed and it only sees 530 as 2 removable devices. Each when I try to open say to insert disk. It just doesn't see the internal memory which is my biggest concern. I cant reload a backup if its not seen by a pc.
Startup of the 530, disconnected from pc, without sd card goes to a green screen, with picture of sd card being removed from device and a red cross through the sd card. Startup with sd card in 530 and green screen showing device and blue book flashing icon next to hdd symbol. hdd symbol also flashes on for less than a second when blue book symbol goes out. Then it repeats over and over again.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a pin reset with the sdhc card out of the unit. And another one with the sdhc card in the unit.

Then remove the card and try to boot up.
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks dhn but nothing changed. Boots up still showing the sd card being inserted over and over again. Connect to pc and shows deviced docked on 530 screen and my computer shows in as removable disk, but no internal memory showing. Crying or Very sad

Could a battery fault cause internal memory to not show through short or dry joint. Unit does have a faint smell that you get from electric train set. Only ask as TT sent reply about my battery not holding a charge and that was one of the questions, did it smell burnt?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't format the internal memory then you have a problem. Can you manually install a Navcore on to the SD Card in a card reader and then insert that and try and boot from it?

You don't need anything else on the card - just extract a Navcore cab straight on to it using WinRAR.

If it still can't boot get it returned and repaired.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download 8.351 from here

Use WinRAR to extract it directly in to the root of a blank SD Card

Put it in the TT and see if it boots.

If it doesn't it is more than likely goosed and needs a repair.
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

I had some trouble with winRAR Embarassed so I just loaded my backup from december 2009(8.351) onto sd and put it in 530. Apart from the long long boot up (over 2 minutes) it worked from sd card, but internal memory still missing from 530.

If I look in device manager on pc with or without sd inserted in 530, it shows 2 tomtom go's connected but each have nothing showing in volume size, capacity 0mb, unallocated space 0mb, reserved space 0mb.

Is my 530 HDD dead? Is it likely the software update caused it or just a hardware failure coinsidence? Don't think warranty covers software issues or does it?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - some progress then if you can boot up from SD.

If the internal mem does not get recognised by windows as having a disk present then it is probably fried.

Can't think of a way out of this as you cannot run chkdsk or fdisk commands if windows doesn't see a drive as being mounted.

Looks like time for a repair.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your device is out of warranty or you don't want it away for too long then consider running it from the SD card, your device can support cards up to 32GB in capacity which is far more than required for a few maps and mp3 files.
With a good quality high speed (class 6) SDHC you might even find its quicker at planning a route running from a card than using the built in Flash memory was - Mike
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help and replies. Smile I'll contact Tomtom as its still in warranty (only 10 months old) and hope this is covered. I'll let you know what they say.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least you can still use it whilst TT have you jumping through hoops for a week before they agree to a RMA.

If you suspect you have a battery related problem make sure you send your car charger etc back as well
kiwi69
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update....

Just got the replacement 530 from TT today! To have a Saturday delivery impressed me as only got email they were returning unit yesterday afternoon, so expected Monday.
Didn't say what the fault was but sent replacement unit and connections. Did windows backup first, then used Home to update. Home asked to change unit to account, so hoping its correct with swapping map updates for 2 years for old unit to this one. I'm hoping its on account and not the unit? Confused Used your link to update postcodes and latest speed camera update, so good to go.

Thanks again for your help Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: