Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest 2010.40 maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest 2010.40 maps
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the map saved to the SD card got corrupted en-route?

Things to try:

Do it again, but this time via MapSource rather than MapInstall - it should give you a bit more control over things. Cherry-pick from the Eastern EU states, and maybe mix-and-match to see if different combinations have any effect. They'll certainly make a difference to size, and this may possibly have a bearing too. Try smaller filesize combinations, and see if there's a 'sweet-spot'.

Maybe also try a different SD card - perhaps that one has a problem? Try formatting it before you use it again for map-storage (though this is a long shot).

Maybe also make sure that none of the maps or sub-regions that are already installed on the GPS unit are also installed on the SD card (i.e. weed out any duplicate regions or sub-regions), just in case. MapSource should be able to help you do that.

Oh - and a very long shot... does your GPS have Bluetooth, and is it paired with a phone? If so, try making sure the phone is completely off, and then see whether it has any effect. I have heard tales of the Bluetooth getting itself confused in some start-up scenarios, and the unit getting into a perpetual reset cycle - but whether this is likely in your case is hard to tell. Certainly, the SD card seems 'involved' - but if you have Bluetooth, it might still be worth a try to see whether there's anything you can fathom via a process of elimination.

Brain's gone blank now... try those above, and let us know whether you notice any differences. Good luck.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advise.

I reformatted card and downloaded again using Mapsource and the problem has disappeared. Very Happy

As I didn't think of trying reformatted card in device before reloading map, I cannot say which solved the problem. Embarassed
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me what the new version is I'm confused? There was talk of a 2010.30, 2010.20a and maybe a 2010.30d ????????
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a pain the latest update is! Not too much problem with the download but 12 hours on a 1Meg line. However, replacing the maps is not easy. You are given region options and having selected a region you have to add other areas through MapSource or MapInstall without any idea of whether the selection will fit until the software has prepared sll the files - then it says TOO BIG. Mapsource used to give the estimated file size as you added regions. Now it's trial and error.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to advise that the third version of Europe Maps 2010.30 is now out

File name is garmin_rmu_cneunt2010_30c.exe which replaces the .30b.exe I downloaded the other day.
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are the changes in this version Question
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some roads are different? Wink

(Sorry for that, but how on Earth could anyone know?)
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult to know what the changes are - I can only assume that Garmin coded something wrong. The "b" version was required due to an incorrectly named .JCV file, there were rumours that a motorway in Italy was labelled as an A road
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIRD version in less than a fortnight! Wow! Major foot-shooting exercise going on at Garmin this month then, eh?

I feel sorry for the punters on mickey-mouse ISPs... three times 3.5 gigabytes is probably going to blow a few people's 10GB a month limits, quite possibly without them realising, and cop a few penalties. Poor blighters.

Strange no official word from Garmin as such on this score. Anyone else found anything from them to say what's been going on?
Burn180
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As BAVC10 says there were problems with the .JVC file also roads in italy were wrong. This is all said to have been fixed in the 2010.30c version.
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burn180 wrote:
As BAVC10 says there were problems with the .JVC file also roads in italy were wrong. This is all said to have been fixed in the 2010.30c version.

Laughing Out Loud - "As BAVC10 says..." - I like that! Go back a page on this thread, and you'll see that the OP and I were discussing these same two exact points (the JCV problem and the A4 in Italy being marked as a local route rather than a motorway) more than a week ago! And (more to the point) they were being discussed as possible causes for why the original .30 version was updated to .30b.

My post immediately above yours was more questioning why BOTH these points (both of which were known prior to the release of 30b) weren't addressed IN 30b! How come they either overlooked one of them, and rushed the release of 30b... or, alternatively, was there something ELSE wrong, which necessitated 30c, I wonder?

Either way you cut it, it's still one in the foot for Garmin. Not impressed - but let's hope they've at least got it stable for the time being, eh? Wink
alansbestmate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: 2010.30c Reply with quote

Well, having downloaded the 'c' version to replace my 'b' version which replaced the original download, I get a message after transferring to my unit that says something like ' GPS updated but there was an error with the computer version'. Or something like that. Anyone had this or knows just what it means? Possibly a mapsource issue? Rolling Eyes
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the 'b' version a few days ago. Went to check (with "my garmin") and it tells me my maps are up to date - no option to get a 'C' version.

So, how did you all get at it?

Alan
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh

If you go to My Garmin, connect your Nuvi and go to manage my maps - you should get an option to download again. If not, then ring support and they will usually re-instate the download facility again - but only for the existing version is 2010.10 or .20 or .30. But if you are eligible for .30 then I am sure you will be given access to the "C" or even later version
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's only Italy that's messed up, I won't bother. I can wait for the next update (I have the lifetime updates). But thanks for that.

regards

Alan

PS - I have a Zumo, not a Nuvi

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: