Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Looking for GPS bundle for US
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for GPS bundle for US

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PinballWiz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Looking for GPS bundle for US Reply with quote

I have an iPaq 4155 on the way, and I would like to order a bluetooth GPS receiver and GPS software for it. Most of my travel is within 400 miles of my home in New Jersey, but in the summer, I will be driving for the first time down the east coast to Florida.

There are so many software packages out there, and I'm very confused. Since software is generally not returnable, I want to get it right the first time. From the reviews and information I have researched, I'm leaning towards Destinator3 or CoPilot. I know no one system will be perfect. I just want something that will get me from point A to B. Large turn instructions and voice are a plus. The more talkative, the better, as I would like advanced notice of turns. Fast remapping would also be nice, if I happen to miss a turn. I'd like it to be easy to use on the PPC, as my wife will be operating it while I drive.

Since the iPaq 4155 only uses SD cards, should I get a 256mb, 512 or hold out for a 1gb? For the trip to Florida, I would like to have everything pre-loaded into the PPC, if possible.

To give you some background, I have been using a full sized laptop with Delorme Street Atlas software, and a USB GPS unit. I have been pretty happy with it. The whole set-up is just too big, and the wife doesn't appreciate it on her lap for the whole trip. What can I expect from going from a laptop / software situation to running the whole thing on a PocketPC? Is the PPC software generally better that the laptop software?

I hope someone out there can help me make the best decisions for my situation. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also want to look into Deluo Routis or PocketMap navigator (we have reviews for both of them) and you should get a 512 MB card. Don't bother looking at Destinator, it can't handle long routes well.

There is a comparison table for US navigation systems up in our "Compare Hardware" corner...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SD cards - I don't believe there's any 1GB SD cards in the marketplace at the moment, other than Sandisk and rebadges thereof. Sandisk SD cards have an appalling reputation for compatibility, data corruption and slow operating speed.

The best thing would be to buy a Panasonic card (which doesn't actually have to be Panasonic branded, so long as it's made by Panasonic) - though I don't know what availability is like in the US. SimpleTech are usually Panasonic (or another fairly good "Made in Japan" type) - I think ebuyer.com sells those in the US, though maybe Lutz can guide you further.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: