Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

I am SO confused with the plethora of pages and information on this site.

I have a Nuvi satnav and have been downloading Points of Interest using the Gamin POI Loader and each time I am informed of the number of POI's that have been installed but NOWHERE do I see any reference to my speed-camera database being updated.

Is this included in the downloads? or if not, I cannot see how to do it.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Have you subscribed to the Speed Camera Database?

If you look at the top left of every page you will see a blue ball with a speed camera logo on it. Click on that and it'll take you to the Speed Camera section.

The Speed Camera Database is not a part of the normal POIs (i.e. Tescos, BP Fuel etc).

If you are a subscriber and you are downloading the Speed Camera Database already POILoader will not distinquish between the normal POIs such as Tescos and Petrol Stations and the speed cameras. To POILoader the speed camera database is no different to any other POIs database. So if you load 10,000 POIs and 12,000 speed cameras it will report 22,000 POIs were loaded.
Moky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul B.

You said:
"The Speed Camera Database is not a part of the normal POIs (i.e. Tescos, BP Fuel etc)."

You then indicated that dowloading POI's DID include Speed Cameras. I found that apparent contradiction confusing however on studying what you said on a second reading I have now concluded that each time I update my POI's I have ALSO updated my speed camera database.

My question is "Why doesn't it say so?" The final screen after download says "you have download x number of POI's" Why doesn't it also add "x number of speed cameras"?

If I have made the wrong deduction please let me know. Otherwise I am grateful to you for putting me in the picture.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The POI download is separate from the camera download, so you have to do two downloads from the site (on the home page - cameras top left where Paul B says; POIs top right).

BUT, you download all of them into the same main folder on your PC which you will point POILoader to, and it will load all of them to your satnav in one operation. It is important to have all you want in that folder (even POIs that will be the same because you are not updating them on a particular occasion) because POILoader replaces ALL POIs on your Garmin with ALL POIs that are in that folder.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll try to clarify.

There are two sets of downloads on the PGPSW website.

POIs - These are things like supermarkets, petrol stations etc

Speed Camera Database - These are the speed cameras.

Unfortunately you haven't made it clear if you are a subscriber so i'll assume you are.

If you download some POIs (say Tescos and Shell Petrol) and also download the Speed Cameras when you UPLOAD these to your Garmin it doesn't know the PGPSW Speed Camera files are speed camera files. To POILoader they are just another set of POIs (with proximity alerts).

So if you UPLOAD 10,000 normal POIs and 12,000 speed cameras to your Garmin unit POILoader will just report that 22,000 POIs were loaded.

The PGPSW database is loaded along side the Garmin Cyclops database so bear this in mind. The PGPSW database will not update the Garmin Cyclops database.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: