Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map updates.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map updates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Map updates. Reply with quote

I have been a subscriber and reader for a couple of years or so, but here goes with my first post. Faced with shelling out another £70 for new maps for my Street Pilot, I figured it made more sense to buy a new Nuvi 1300, and buy updates for life. Problem is, download is nearly 3.5 Gbits. My ISP monthly down load limit is 10 Gbit. It seems that I am not the first person to download a corrupt file. (Just google for problems). Download the file twice and have it fail and you are in the doody with your internet provider. ( B****r perhaps I should have stayed with option 3 )

The unit came preloaded with UK / ROI maps only. Great. That is all I need. My question is ... " am I the only person in the UK who does not want continental Europe maps ". I have asked Garmin download support if they could offer original maps only update as an option, but so far they seem unable to acknowledge the question.

I would like to hear others views.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in your position too, I bought a 1310, basically the same as yours with UK and ROI maps, as I don't have any need for full euro maps.

Then I found out if you buy the lifetime map service you have to have full europe. I would have liked a cheaper option to install just the UK updates, but to no avail.

Makes you wonder why they supply the regional devices in the first place.
You can however install just the UK maps if you want, not that that is a consolation.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Map updates. Reply with quote

portly wrote:
Problem is, .... My ISP monthly down load limit is 10 Gbit.

Is this a 24-hour limit? Or can you download 12 midnight to 6am / 8am for free, like mine allows?
May be worth checking.

Dales.
portly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sir. We are talking monthly limit here. i.e. 10 Gbits download per month max.
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Downloads Reply with quote

Last map update took me 5 downloads before I got a successful one! My connection ends up getting throttled as a result which is probably why it fails due to the length of time taken.

Need to get up in the middle of the night next time as no throttling then!
portly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meter_Man, that is a worry. I am waiting til the end of the month, before I download again, as I am nearing monthly limit now. If I am as unsuccesful as you, I shall have a complete failure, since the download appears to expire mid Feb. I am not sure why Garmin have to put a time limit in the download, since you can only use it on one machine. I am sure that if you could download just UK maps the file would be much much smaller, and quicker/easier to get.

I have seen comments on the web, suggesting that Garmins download manager is not the best. Have you tried downloading without it ??
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use something called Internet download manager which is a multi-threaded application with restart from where it had got to which works fine.
portly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Allan_Whoops. Thanks for that, I will keep it in mind. I noticed on MyGarmin, that I can download without using their manager. I will try that first.

Do any of you have thoughts on my original post. That is do you want full Europe maps anyway, or would you prefer UK/ROI maps only. That is what the unit came with in the first place.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref your original topic, map updates for UK/Ireland only, perhaps https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=253&pID=8424#productTab will give you what you need.
portly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael you are a star. I have previously searched Garmins site for such a beast, and have twice directly asked their support if it could be made available.
I wonder why they failed to point it out. When you log into their site, you are so readily routed and re-routed to full Europe maps, at much higher prices. Or am I being cynical ??

My difficulty now will be to get my life time update refunded.

I will let you know what happens.
portly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on this one then. Before I approached Garmin for a refund, I noticed that a newer update had been released. I downloaded this one and actually got to 82 % of the unpackaging process, before I got the dreaded " corrupt file " message. I rang Garmin UK around lunchtime on Monday, explained the problem and requested a refund. Their rep was polite and helpful, and good to his word, the refund arrived in my account yesterday. ( Friday ). Incidentally, I got an E-mail from my ISP on Wednesday, pointing out the penalties of exceeding my download limits. From my calculations, I should just slide through under limit by the end of the month.

All in all then, I think that the update for life is a great idea. Unfortunately with the size of file involved, I think that Garmin need to offer a reduced package, or do the download in smaller partitions, with full verification of the received data. You would then need to re download only the affected parts.

In the mean time, once again thanks to Michael for pointing me to the UK/ROI update. Even knowing that it is there, it still takes some finding on "MyGarmin".

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: