Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dartford Bridge SPECS cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dartford Bridge SPECS cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I surrender. Does anybody know why those specs cameras have not been removed physically?

How do you suggest we deal with Gatsos without film in them and mobiles which aren't there, all of which give "false warnings"?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
So neither of you install the Mobile or pMobile databases? Rolling Eyes

Mobiles always have, pMobiles, I do now Very Happy But these are where mobiles are likely to be, presumably not in an area that clearly states cameras not in use
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

How do you suggest we deal with Gatsos without film in them and mobiles which aren't there, all of which give "false warnings"?

Simple, we don''t KNOW if they are live or not, so they stay in.

But if a camera has signs on it specifically saying it is on test, or not in use, , or there are camera signs deliberately blanked out for a specific stretch of road, then those cameras should NOT be on the database.

(Thinking here of the constant battle over the test site on the A3 by Asda in Kingston and the test camera on the A4 at Gillette Corner in Brentford).
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
But if a camera has signs on it specifically saying it is on test, or not in use, , or there are camera signs deliberately blanked out for a specific stretch of road, then those cameras should NOT be on the database.
I agree, but is it PGPSW policy?? (Darren?)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad During the last two weeks, I guess I've driven past about a dozen Specs cameras with signs saying "Not in Use" - spring immediately to mind a few on M3 between J3 and J2, M4 J16 to 17, M4 J19 to 18, M4 at Membury, M5 J12 to 11, M5 J5 to 4a and M1 north of J24. I don't know the status today of the M3 ones (which are in a short stretch in the middle of roadworks, with LIVE specs cameras in both directions outside the ones not in use, roadworks rolling and changing), same for M1 north of J24. But all the ones on M5 and M4 were activated within a week of me seeing them specifically saying not in use. According to your theories, I should have removed them all during the last week of January when they had "Not in Use" signs. Rolling Eyes
You'd prefer NOT to have false warnings during the time between me accepting them for the database (which you say I shouldn't have done because they were not in use) and the day they were activated even though that was some time before I would have been able to accept them......
Tuesday 26th January, 4 on M5 were signed Not in Use. They shouldn't have been incorporated into the database on Wednesday 27th January. On Tuesday 2nd February, they were not only in use, but the roadworks and speed limit were "mature" - obviously had been running for some days.

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I fully agree with you for roadworks cams, and I assume (possibly incorrectly Confused ) that the cams you mention above are of that ilk, the subject cams are a 'different case' as they are 'permanent', have been in use previously and are now apparantly no longer in use.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that cameras noted as 'Not In Use' in September 2009 ought not to be on the database as 'active' in February 2010. How that informs a re-think of policy (if considered necessary) is for others to discuss but I suggest the criteria for inclusion/exclusion will be 'number of days'.
SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
SteveMPS wrote:
Sadly though they remain in the database giving false warnings. Just what does it take to get a camera removed from the database?

It takes the actual removal of the cameras, what else? Stop it!

You drive it every day, I don't. You're satisfied they're inactive, I don't know that. So what am I to think of the database when I come blasting along at 55mph and suddenly there's a bunch of big yellow bluddy cameras staring at me? How long would it take to switch them back on again? If they are still there, they're no different from all the Gatsos we've got in the database - simply no idea whether they've got film in them, so safer to warn than not. If this database only contained active cameras, there'd be no mobile camera warnings at all.

I agree it's not easy and everyone accepts a degree of caution about removing entries but after 5 months surely you could at least reclassify them down to 'mobile'.

Facts are there never have been bright yellow cams there and (see living with InfoRad thread) false database entries are a right pain (literally).

Right now I turn the SCD off on approaching the bridge and usually don't turn it back on again for an hour.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that knowingly including cameras that give false warnings in the PGPSW database is going to do much for customer confidence in its accuracy.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought a clear explanation of the special situation with these specs in the download section would go a long way. Despite the slight frustrations caused by false positives, I'm pretty sure that most people on this site actually appreciate the impossibility of dealing with changes that can happen effectively on a day's notice unless verifiers are posted 'permanently' by each camera!

Even in spook51's example it is quite possible that the cameras were switched on and off again at some point in the intervening months - if they were removed from the database when the 'out of action/on test 'sign is installed rather than the camera itself removed, it only takes a workman 15 minutes to take the sign away again and reactivate - who's going to tell the verifier as soon as that happens? (And who's then going to complain about being NIPped unawares otherwise?)

They should surely be regarded like mobiles - we all expect (I think) they wont always be there on the road even if they are still on PGPSW. Users would then know how to treat the spec warnings (or not load them if they are too annoying - after all, average speed cameras are not nearly as 'drop dead you're nicked' as the spot cameras are).

Actually that raises a thought - there is already a set procedure for handling mobiles - could a similar one be used for specs (eg if the sign is reported and not cleared within a set time, the camera is removed until someone else reports it active again?) ?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting thought JaTe - what's to get upset about if you can think of these particular cameras just as 50-limit reminder signs Cool ?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spook51 wrote:
I don't think that knowingly including cameras that give false warnings in the PGPSW database is going to do much for customer confidence in its accuracy.

I disagree. The cameras are physically there, so it's not false information, other than the fact of there being a sign saying Cameras not in Use. Now I'd much prefer to have a camera in the database, get a warning and then see on the road the Not in Use sign rather than nothing in the database.

If these four cameras cause you such angst, perhaps you might consider making a note and deleting Specs:67704@50, 67720, 68059 and 67600 from your TomTom after downloading them. By the way, they are still in the TomTom database too.

If the following three statements are correct, what odds will anybody give on the future of these cameras going active?
spook51 wrote:
I use the Dartford crossing regularly though not frequently and have experienced a 45 minute delay on the bridge approach yet on another occasion been able to drive non-stop at 70mph straight to a toll booth.

SteveMPS wrote:
you will regularly be a road hazard if you insist on sticking to 50 or less as everyone else (including the police cars) will be overtaking you.

JaTe wrote:
I would much prefer to have them on the database and in any event, they are 50mph cameras, which is what the bridge speed is now.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
That's an interesting thought JaTe - what's to get upset about if you can think of these particular cameras just as 50-limit reminder signs Cool ?
Actually, if you ask Darren, I think he'll agree that EVERY camera in the database is a speed limit reminder. Smile

SteveMPS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Again we agree Dennis.

Can I please ask SteveMPS why sticking to a road speed limit makes you a hazard?
Taking his comment a stage further, does this mean that adhering to any speed limit makes you a hazard?

Let's get real - the limit is there for a reason.

This goes to the heart of why do so many of us use SCDs. I believe in safe driving to the actual road conditions with my eyes on the road in front and behind and not slavishly looking at the speedometer. That means I want to be audibly warned where some sad clerk has ordered the installation of an inappropriate revenue trap.

As I've said I drive that bridge nigh on every work day. You get a clear warning the 50 limit is coming up but if you slow to 50 you can't move over to the left because of traffic joining that is exceeding 50. That includes the "traffic officer" cars. If you stick in lane 3 at 50 you see other vehicles having to change lane to avoid you and that's a hazard. Someone somewhere long ago recognised the 50 limit was a problem and turned off the cameras and painted out the signs. If there are workmen on the bridge they switch on the advisory signs and we all slow down. What they cannot do is rush out, reinstal camera signs and prosecute.

IMHO those once upon a time cameras should not be in your database. If I were InfoRad I'd be well upset that my product was being slagged off because of such errors.

JaTe wrote:
SteveMPS, you say "facts are there have never been bright yellow cameras there" - well sorry, they are on the DRC where they indicate - just that they are mounted on the gantries overhead.

So hand on heart you swear that they are painted yellow? I think not.
spook51
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll wait until someone responsible for PGPSW policy responds.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: