Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reducing the number of way points
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reducing the number of way points

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reducing the number of way points Reply with quote

Hi all

I just just started using bike route toaster (had been using bike hike)

In bike hike under options you can reduce the number of way points. I started to do this after a message appeared on by Satmap warning me a route contained to many waypoints and may affect the satmaps proformance ! Any one else had this message and what was the limit ?

Is there any option in the bike route toaster website to do this or an option on the satmap active 10 ?

Would appreciate any help

Thanks for your time and regards

Mike
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reducing the number of way points Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
a message appeared on by Satmap warning me a route contained to many waypoints and may affect the satmaps proformance ! Any one else had this message and what was the limit ?

Can't help with reducing the number of waypoints, but can confirm that the number of waypoints that triggers this message would appear to be any route over 500. One of my routes has over a 1000 waypoints on it and so far I haven't encountered any problems.
Mike777
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Reducing the number of way points Reply with quote

MikeofDorset wrote:
Mike777 wrote:
a message appeared on by Satmap warning me a route contained to many waypoints and may affect the satmaps proformance ! Any one else had this message and what was the limit ?

Can't help with reducing the number of waypoints, but can confirm that the number of waypoints that triggers this message would appear to be any route over 500. One of my routes has over a 1000 waypoints on it and so far I haven't encountered any problems.

Thanks for info...............

I have just plotted a route on bike route toaster, 321 miles (follow road option) and it has come out where 4701 track points (which i think are the same as way points)

Do you think my satmapmight not like that ?

Mike
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reducing the number of way points Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:
MikeofDorset wrote:
Mike777 wrote:

Thanks for info...............

I have just plotted a route on bike route toaster, 321 miles (follow road option) and it has come out where 4701 track points (which i think are the same as way points)

Do you think my satmapmight not like that ?

Mike

Sorry, unable to advise, no experience of using a route of that size. Satmap's FAQ on the subject is quite ambiguous too when the question is: 'How many waypoints can I use in a route?' The answer given is:

'In terms of the amounts of Routes you can store, the constraint is not measured by the number of routes, but by the size of the data files. So, a hundred small Routes can contain less data than one large route. Hence, it is always good housekeeping to store the majority of your data on your PC. As a general rule though, for average sized Routes, you should expect to be able to store many hundreds on the Active 10.'

So they don't answer the question, but simply state that you should expect to be able to store many hundreds of AVERAGE (whatever that is - 500 WPs?) sized ROUTES. The question re. waypoint numbers being ignored!

I would suggest giving Satmap a phone call.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the data stored for routes?

Would it be possible to watch the memory-use graphs in Settings¦Memory Status while loading-up incrementally smaller routes (eg 500wp, 1000wp) and see if something is filling up?
MikeofDorset
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:

Would it be possible to watch the memory-use graphs in Settings¦Memory Status while loading-up incrementally smaller routes (eg 500wp, 1000wp) and see if something is filling up?

Certainly not on my unit at present, but this may be possible with an upgrade in combination with v1.4 and the latest software platform (cost £9.99 via SD card). Updating of the memory status screen in real time might then be observable. Units having the older platform of course need to be switched off and on before the change in data appears. However, I think it would have to be a fairly massive file to notice any change, as my particular route with 1000+ WPs at only 104kb doesn't register any change at all on the memory status graph.

Incidentally it might be of interest to note that when I imported this 1000+ WP route into the internal memory instead of the SD map card, it was split into two separate routes numbered (1) and (2) by the Satmap unit. When it was switched to the map card however, it was imported as one route.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reducing the number of way points Reply with quote

Mike777 wrote:

Do you think my satmapmight not like that ? Mike
I haven't used bike toaster but I regularly compose (in Memory Map) long distance cycle routes for Audax rides. I create these as Tracks and save them as .gpx files which I then import into the A10. My experience has been that although I can get Tracks into the unit which are in excess of 500 trackpoints each, it does slow the process of importing them and also renders the A10 sluggish in performance. I don't have any idea at which level of excess points this gets unbearable though. I can filter down the number of trackpoints in Memory Map but I find that if this is done to a large degree it produces very "coarse" routes i.e. the displayed Route will cut corners. Although such Routes are useable, I prefer to have a display where the Route follows the road on the map quite closely, so I have chosen usually to disect my Tracks into 500 point parts, usually between stopping places, and simply switch from one to another as I progress.

The comment from MikeofDorset regarding importing a large was interesting. I haven't tried this. But I have noticed that the .raw file created by the A10 alongside a .map file whenever you "Convert trail to track" has many times the number of trackpoints that the .map file has. I haven't tried re-importing such a .raw file back into the Satmap but I suspect that if you do, it filters down the number of points dramatically.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a post from bob1988 on Aug 12, 2009 in
Quote:
More than 500 way points : Warning
which may be relevant/helpful (?)
SallyAndKev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often use RouteConvertor to do this sort of editing (e.g. finding and deleting spurious points and unwanted sections at the start and end of tracks).
http://www.routeconverter.de/

There are various options for selecting points to delete: you can select all points within a specified distance of their predecessors, or select all positions so that at least a specified number of metres lie in between the remaining postions, select all except every nth position, or select all redundant positions within a specified number of metres

Sally
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's useful...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: