Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which TomTom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which TomTom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Which TomTom? Reply with quote

Hi, Can anyone give me some advise on which TT unit would best suit my needs? I currently use a TT700 with the original maps so I think it's time for a change. I bought the 700 for the handsfree phone capability and the postcode search Laughing Out Loud.

Things seem to have moved on a bit since. I have heard that the GO750 has memory issues and only comes with Jane as the voice which puts me off. I definately would like the advanced lane guidance thing and again handsfree phone capability (but not completely necessary), also must have European mapping. What's the benefit of the 950? Is it just memory and USA mapping. I doubt if I'll be driving in the USA anytime soon and only use PGPS speedcams and about 50 of my own favourites.

Any views / comments / opinions would be appreciated - I am surprised that TT don'y do a function comparision table showing all models (or have thay and I have just not found it?).

Thanks Cool

PS Happy New Year (not that I am not a postign this at 3am on New Year's Eve - it's 17:20 here - UK - so pleanty of time until the celebrations Wink )
Steveee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willis, not really equipped to give you definitive advice as I am a long term GO920 user - does all I need and covers most of what you are looking for.

If you go to the Halfords web site, they have a tool that allows you to select the features you need and then offers products that meet your requirements.
Hope this helps.
GO 920 (retired)
Garmin Oregon 550T
Garmin Drivesmart
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Steveee, thanks for the pointer. Tried it - says the Go750 but still worried about memory issues - does anyone on here have a 750? Any issues / advise?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of available memory built in to any TomTom device is an issue for all devices other than the basic regional units, those units with a memory card slot don't have the same issue though as you can add a 4GB SDHC card which will be plenty large enough for the 750 to carry extra maps.
Any of the Go-x20, x30, x40 and x50 can accept and use memory cards up to a capacity of 32GB, the lack of memory only really affects the XL European/ North American devices but there are files that can be deleted from the device to free up space (a guide to which files can be deleted will be added to the FAQ page later tonight) - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HANG ONTO THE 700!!! There isn't any device which beats it for handsfree - volume, clarity and most of all stability - it don't crash, do it?

I have mine still, running Application v6.520 and map Western & Central Europe v675.1409.

I use it running alongside my XL Live and GO520, both with Application v8.something and map 840.something.

The only area where the XL and the 520 beat the 700 is in screen size. Apart from that, the routing is almost identical, and the v675 map has the latest London Congestion zone. Believe me, you do NOT want the advance lane guidance thing - it's mere publicity cosmetics and inaccurate/incomplete cosmetics at that!

How many times have you used the reset button on the 700? I've reset my (three months old) XL more times than the (four years old) 700.

Buy yourself a cheap 720 and 4 or 8 or 16GB SDHC card, update it using latest map guarantee, then run the pair of them side by side and you'll soon discover what I mean - keep your phonebook and phone pairing on the 700 for the day when the 720 crashes in the middle of a phone call - it WILL and so will any of the later models too.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
HANG ONTO THE 700!!! There isn't any device which beats it for handsfree - volume, clarity and most of all stability - it don't crash, do it?

I have mine still, running Application v6.520 and map Western & Central Europe v675.1409.

Here Here! -
My TT700 is now 4 years old & still going strong, whilst enjoying a long rest sitting in its original TT carry case.
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a TT710 - and a 720.

Still like the 710 and it is far better when using bluetooth phone.

not going to get rid.
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys - I can't help it, I have a gadget addiction - bitten the bullet and bought a TTGO750 (£200 from Amazon - free delivery) and even bought 12 months traffic (as it was half price when buying the unit).

May sell the 700 though or give it to the mrs to use. I'll post back any frustrations (reading the posts above I suspect there may be some). V fond of the old 700 may keep for nostalgia on original maps that were supplied with it Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repeat, do NOT get rid of the 700. Do NOT even pass it to the good lady. Keep it and run it alongside the 750 for a week or two just to see how different the latest routing is(n't). Keep it, as I said above, with your phone pairing and phonebook intact for when the 750 crashes during a phone call.

And remember the first rule - backup the 750 immediately and every time before changing anything. I have hardly any backups of my 700 because it's so stable, but it's a different matter altogether with later models, so a recent backup is the way to go regularly.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops posted twice

Last edited by willis on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
willis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK my mrs is using the 700 - she has a Nokia N78 - its not automatically pairing despite setting the TT as an "always authorised" bluetooth connection on the phone and her phone being the only paired bluetooth device on the TT. It eventually pairs if you keep asking the phone to connect to the TT but never automatically. Hmmm not so smooth after all ;-)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: