Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Questions on XL Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on XL Live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Questions on XL Live Reply with quote

Hi. I have just bought a TomTom XL Live and have a few questions that I hope someone could answer.

1. My previous model was a 730 and the screen was brilliantly responsive but this seems much less so. You sometimes have to touch it a couple of times before it registers. has anyone else noticed this?

2.More often than not Live Search doesn't work and I get various error messages( sometimes weather and traffic are also not working and sometimes they are and it is just live search that isn't working). Messages include "Could not establish a wireless data connection" and others.

3. I downloaded and installed the Pocket GPS World POI's and then the "manage poi's" icon was greyed out (although it has come back now) Is this usual?

4. I have downloaded the ogg sound files for the camera warnings but am having problems activating them. I dont get a choice of sounds and yet it asks me "Is this the sound you want to select". If I click "no" it says that there are no photos found! The other problem has been that often when I get the distance choice i.e 300 yards clicking on ok has no affect and the only way out of the page is to touch "Cancel"

5. I have downloaded the latest speed camera database but can't find how to disable the Tomtom warnings. I know I am being thick but there you go!

I wish I had stayed with the 730 to be honest but the traffic updates wouldnt work anymore after I bought an iphone (I understand Apple disabled it!). I also fancied the idea of live search as I have to find various retail outlets with my work and thought it would be ideal. Sorry to ramble on, thanks for any replies!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on XL Live Reply with quote

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
1. My previous model was a 730 and the screen was brilliantly responsive but this seems much less so. You sometimes have to touch it a couple of times before it registers. has anyone else noticed this?

Yes this is a trait of the XL Live device at times it seems to be a little less resposive than perhaps it should or even could be.

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
2.More often than not Live Search doesn't work and I get various error messages( sometimes weather and traffic are also not working and sometimes they are and it is just live search that isn't working). Messages include "Could not establish a wireless data connection" and others.

There seem to be a number of issues with Live services affecting the entire product range at the moment - probably server related at TomTom rather than the device, Google search has had quite a few posts about errors in the past week or so.

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
3. I downloaded and installed the Pocket GPS World POI's and then the "manage poi's" icon was greyed out (although it has come back now) Is this usual?

This isn't normal and is something I have never heard of before with this device, had you copied the MapSettings.cfg file to the map folder following an update per chance?

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
4. I have downloaded the ogg sound files for the camera warnings but am having problems activating them. I dont get a choice of sounds and yet it asks me "Is this the sound you want to select". If I click "no" it says that there are no photos found! The other problem has been that often when I get the distance choice i.e 300 yards clicking on ok has no affect and the only way out of the page is to touch "Cancel"

The "No Photo's found" message is a known bug, simply answer Yes when asked and configure the next alert, if you answer No the device will lock up - this bug has been around for about three years and is something we have grown used to accepting as OGG files are not a documented feature that TomTom officially support even though we all know they work.

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
5. I have downloaded the latest speed camera database but can't find how to disable the Tomtom warnings. I know I am being thick but there you go!

TomTom Plus services then you get an option for Safety Cameras, select this and you can turn off the warnings, alternatively use Windows Explorer to delete the TomTom Safety camera POI files from your map folder (see the FAQ page near the top of this forum index for more details).

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
I wish I had stayed with the 730 to be honest but the traffic updates wouldnt work anymore after I bought an iphone (I understand Apple disabled it!). I also fancied the idea of live search as I have to find various retail outlets with my work and thought it would be ideal. Sorry to ramble on, thanks for any replies!

The iPhone doesn't support the Bluetooth DUN profile (in fact iPhone Bluetooth protocol support is best described as crap - its easier to list what the damn thing does support than all the others it cannot) - The Google Live search built in to your current device will do what you want and even if the old 730 were coupled to a mobile phone that did support the DUN profile and offered an internet connection you wouldn't get Live capabilities as these are reserved for the Live devices - Mike
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Disappointing about the live search not working properly- along with the traffic that really was my reason for buying a new unit.

I cant see a mapsetting.cfg file in the map folder. However it seems to be ok now.

I realized that I had copied the ogg files into the map folder rather than to the sounds folder and have now got it sorted - well I think I have time will tell when I take it out next! (Had to reboot several times though as it kept refusing to go past the distance page)

I have turned off the tomtom cameras - thanks for pointing out where the option is!!

I appreciate your help Mike. Have a good xmas!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgreensuperhoops wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Disappointing about the live search not working properly- along with the traffic that really was my reason for buying a new unit.

Hopefully, it's only a temporary glitch. When it's working, Live Search is great! (and Traffic is OK now too).
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy. The traffic does seem to connect ok, although I was stuck in traffic on the M1 this morning that it didn't warn me about!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See HERE for Google Search. It seems the only current way of dealing with this problem is to reset (holding the power button down for ages to get it back to a green screen or a data screen). It doesn't always work (so I'm wondering about trying a human sacrifice if I can get hold of a decent vestal virgin Twisted Evil ) and it takes a long time. Very annoying.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis...is there such a thing as an INDECENT vestal virgin? Shocked

Just asking........(I don't get out much) Wink
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David. I didn't realise they did jokes in Canada! Joker Thumbs Up

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't tell the Queen. You know how she feels about her subjects stepping out of line like that! Joker
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her Majesty will not hear of it - I never broach the subject of items like vestal virgins in our conversations. Supreme Angel

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on XL Live Reply with quote

dgreensuperhoops wrote:

TT have fixed this problem today - try again and you should be working now for Google Searches. There have not been any HD Traffic issues for quite a few weeks as far as I am aware.

Make sure that the SIM card has a signal and that it is showing as 'Connected'. If your battery is running low then the device disables LIVE services to prolong the run time.

After having owned various GO models (x00, x10s and x20s) I reckon the XL LIVE is the best device I have had yet - it does what it is supposed to do and doesn't have extra bells and whistles that simply do not work reliably (FM Transmission, BT Handsfree, BT A2DP etc)
dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy. I read your message with great excitement. At last!!

On my first attempt I received the message" Cannot connect to Tomtom LIVE services. Please try again later. Error code 148". Excitement rapidly subsides!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got a signal for the SIM card OK and does it show as Connected?

You should have a screen that looks like this

dgreensuperhoops
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy

Started it up this morning and got the error message again. Tried again an hour later and it seems to be working. I had checked previously when it wasn't working and yes I did have the connected status. Time will tell whether it lasts!
Thanks for your help. Happy New Year
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you upgraded the Navcore to 8.419.1257 through HOME or are you still on the out of the box 8.413??

Happy New Year to you as well!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: