Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 255WT "Freezes" with new card.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 255WT "Freezes" with new card.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrdjc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 255WT "Freezes" with new card. Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Nuvi 255WT in August 2009. I moved from Scotland to Slovakia and drove across Europe, hence buying the Nuvi.

Much to my surprise the map pack it had installed was from 2008 and so didn't include any of the new roads, I got very confused twice when I was driving through the middle of a field according to the GPS but in fact was on a brand new bypass.

I bought a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB SD card to stick new maps on, and installed a 2009 map pack.

Now when I am driving along, sometimes the map on the screen freezes, all the buttons stop responding but the speedo and distance from target keeps on functioning fine, also the driving direction works fine.

I drove across Germany to The Netherlands and had it freeze whilst driving about eleven times in 6 hours.

In order to get it to reset I need to unplug the charger and hold the power button slide over for a few seconds, plug it back in and wait a few seconds more and switch it back on. It would then work fine for anywhere between 3 minutes and 3 hours.

If I remove the card it works fine without freezing.

I've also found out that it always freezes at the same point on the same road whilst travelling into the local town with the new map pack.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Its frustrating having to use old maps which aren't accurate any more, and the unit becoming unreliable with new ones.
Choose between getting lost on new motorways and bypasses with old roads no longer existing. Or getting lost because the GPS freezes and you miss your junction in a country you've never been before.

Cheers,
Daniel.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe something odd about the card being an 'ultra', but I haven't seen anyone else mention problems. Did you remove the 2008 maps? Or are they still on the unit? If so, have you got them AND your new maps selected (ticked) for use (somewhere in the options, I think)? That might cause a conflict. Can't think of anything else offhand.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this occur occasionally. Try reformatting the card or it could just be duff.

This was on both a 255 and a 765 so it wasn't the unit.
Mrdjc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies chaps,

I will try and reformat the card and see if I can put the maps on again, then take it for another spin.

The original data on the unit itself remains untouched, I simply un-ticked the old map-pack and ticked the new one in the settings.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can use a smaller card, and just put on the map that you need.
I have found that some of the bigger capacity cards can't always be read by certain devices.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 255WT works fine, if a little slow, even with a 16GB SanDisc SDHC card in it.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: