Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Live services outage -More but different
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Live services outage -More but different

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Live services outage -More but different Reply with quote

I had the connection problems, starting abot 1730 in West London A40/M25, then slow reconnections both in Kent and Northern France

BUT, and this is the reason for the new topic, coming back through France on the A1/A26, about 1030/1100 Saturday, to Calais I lost the Live connection and after about 10/15 minutes RDS suddenly connected! (On a fully charged TT) I thought it strange since I had full SFR GSM strength on my old 6310i. I checked the TT signal and had 3/4 bars!!!

I've never known RDS to work if a GSM signal is available before. RDS stayed for about 30 mins, receiving data and then disconnected when Live took about 2/3 mins.to reconnect. Live dropped again for about 20mins in Calais, but no sign of RDS again.

It's always been one of my biggest grievences that if Live drops it wont revert to RDS if available as long as a GSM signal is present. I wonder if this is a sign of anything?

Malcolm
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine if the unit cannot connect to the server after a certain amount of time it will use the RDS TMC (USB cable type plugged into mount). The issue that this caused was that it would never revert back to HD Traffic without manual intervention. This happened during the recent spate of HD Traffic failures.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the device couldn't connect to the Live server and had an RDS-TMC connected it will auto switch to this, for some strange reason it only seems to do it once, to get it to reconnect a second time try resetting the device by holding down the on/ off switch until it re-boots - Not ideal but this work around seems to work!
As for the signal strength thats only an indication of network connection for the mobile phone side of the system, it has no bearing upon the actual data connection with the server - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
On mine if the unit cannot connect to the server after a certain amount of time it will use the RDS TMC (USB cable type plugged into mount). The issue that this caused was that it would never revert back to HD Traffic without manual intervention. This happened during the recent spate of HD Traffic failures.

I've had a lot of Live problems, but i've never been able to get RDS to connect if I've got a GSM signal (Unless i run the battery down) On this occasion reversion to Live was automatic.

Mike A - My first response to a problem is to reboot, but again, I've never been able to retain RDS if the TT can get a GSM signal , that's why I checked the GSM availability/strength. I wondered if the recent update is supposed to let this happen. If TT weren't such arrogant **** they would let at least some people know what they hoped updates wpuld do.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If the device couldn't connect to the Live server and had an RDS-TMC connected it will auto switch to this

My 940 is permanently attached to a RDS-TMC accessory windscreen dock, and with all the problems I've had connecting to Live services since Xmas, not once has it switched over to the RDS-TMC.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mess up your Live account and the RDS receiver works very well all the time, the other option is to let it expire, if your receiver isn't connecting to the 940 and your Live subs are out something is wrong.

I admit with an active Live subscription connection to the RDS device isn't too clever but it does work (when it want to) - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

I admit with an active Live subscription connection to the RDS device isn't too clever but it does work (when it want to) - Mike

As Andy says, apart from a once only occurance Saturday, I've never had RDS available if the unit can receive a GSM signal. I'm no programmer, but I would have thought it wouldn't be to difficult to have Live activated by server connection rather than GSM signal. That for me at least would lessen the effect of the numerous Live connection issues. Mind you, there 's no reason fot TT to do this since their systems are 100% reliable and foolproof Rolling Eyes
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying this again, but bear in mind I am using 9.026 software on my 940, and when it turns on, it starts looking for a RDS signal with the square box and an animated green arrow over a car of it, this box is above the traffic bar, but as soon as it finds the HD traffic server it say "RDS-TMC disconnected", the circle disappears and the longer HD traffic bar appears.

When it loses connection, it usually says "RDS-TMC connected and starts looking for the RDS signal again. I don't know when it loses connection if it is the GPRS or server connection that triggers it, but when I look at it I do have a GPRS connection, but that does not say it was not interupted.

However sometimes the traffic bar just disappears and nothing happens, if I turn the power supply off and on again (the 12V, not the power button) it starts looking for the RDS signal again, but this time the car and arrow icon is within the traffic bar, rather than above it. Now it will not revert to looking for the HD traffic again without a soft reset or flight mode switch.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I have been trying this again, but bear in mind I am using 9.026 software on my 940

I'm using Navcore 9 too.
MrT wrote:

when it turns on, it starts looking for a RDS signal with the square box and an animated green arrow over a car of it, this box is above the traffic bar, but as soon as it finds the HD traffic server it say "RDS-TMC disconnected", the circle disappears and the longer HD traffic bar appears.

Yes, I should have said, this always happens on first switch on, but before the RDS-TMC sorts itself out, the HD_traffic kicks in once the server is found.

MrT wrote:
When it loses connection, it usually says "RDS-TMC connected and starts looking for the RDS signal again. I don't know when it loses connection if it is the GPRS or server connection that triggers it, but when I look at it I do have a GPRS connection, but that does not say it was not interupted.

That's what I don't seem to get....
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certain it's only loss of the GSM signal that normally triggers it. Before TT enabled roaming, my unit connected and stayed with RDS-TMC on arrival in France, and automatically connected to Live on return to the UK.

For what it's worth, the GSM reception seems to be pretty good, last Tuesday I unfortunatly was stuck on the A23 south of Pease Pottage for about 4 hours, and whether it was because of the location or the number of people trying to use their phones or both, I couldn't get more than 1 bar on Vodafone on my 6310i, but the 540 kept live services all that time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: