Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iGo 2006
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iGo 2006
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grahamsmythe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: iGo 2006 Reply with quote

OK, this is my first go at posting something on a forum, so please excuse me if I've posted it in the wrong place!

A couple of months ago, I purchased a car DVD/GPS unit via eBay from China. I'm not sure what brand it is, but for the money I paid for it, it seems very good so far! Pretty good quality etc. It does exactly what it says on the tin.

The unit came pre-installed with iGo 2006 software which is actually on a memory card. All you have to do is point the GPS receiver to the .exe file on the memory card, and it works like a dream.

The problem is, whilst the iGo software is OK, I'd rather use the TomTom software as that's what I'm used to. The people I bought the GPS unit from on eBay say that TomTom will work OK, but because of the language barrier, I can't get an understandable answer off them.

I can easily write some new software to the memory card, but the problem is, I've struggled to get anything to work this far.

I've downloaded some TomTom software off the internet, to make sure it'll work before I go ahead and buy it for real, but haven't had any luck so far, as the software that I've downloaded doesn't seem to have the 'launch' .exe file that I need to point the GPS unit towards.

That's about as best as I can explain the problem.

If anyone can offer me any help or advice, It really would be most appreciated.

Best regards

Graham
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHECK THE FORUM RULES.

Quote:
Discussion of illegal activities such as software piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed. PocketGPSWorld.com maintains a Zero Tolerance policy on piracy matters.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham,

As pointed out, we will not entertain discussion of pirated software here regardless of any future intentions etc etc.

The likelihood is that iGO is pirated also btw.

Please don't ask for help with software that is not legitimate. If you want help then buy licensed software. When you have we will be delighted to assist if we can.
grahamsmythe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the software that came with the unit ISN'T pirated. I can't imagine for one minute someone would sell software on eBay that is pirated, as eBay have strict rules re this.

Due to the job that I'm in, using pirated software is a real NO NO, so I'm not going down that road for sure.

I'm not asking for help with software that isn't legitimate, all I'm asking for is advice on what software to BUY, and whether it will work OK on my device.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="grahamsmythe"]As far as I know the software that came with the unit ISN'T pirated. I can't imagine for one minute someone would sell software on eBay that is pirated, as eBay have strict rules re this.[quote]
At risk of sounding condescending, you are joking! Laughing

eBay is riddled with pirate software. We ourslelves spend a great deal of out time ordering eBay to remove listings for our speedcam database and there are any number of listings for pirate software from TomTom and many others including maps etc.

We have excellent links with Nav N Go and I can assure you that they do not licence to Chinese OEM's. This is an issue they have battled with for a long time and so I'll bet my hat it's not a legitimate licenced version.
Quote:
Due to the job that I'm in, using pirated software is a real NO NO, so I'm not going down that road for sure.

I'm not asking for help with software that isn't legitimate, all I'm asking for is advice on what software to BUY, and whether it will work OK on my device.

Ok fair enough, it was you who said "I've downloaded some TomTom software off the internet," which is pirate software no matter how you look at it.

But moving on. I'd suggest you look at Sygic. MikeA here has a 7" head unit from China and he has installed Sygic on it with excellent results.

It's at least as good as TomTom and well respected here.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'd suggest you look at Sygic. MikeA here has a 7" head unit from China and he has installed Sygic on it with excellent results.

One of the threads containing some details about the unit I use can be found by clicking Here To be honest I think the McGuider/ Sygic application is better than TomTom for a number of reasons, firstly the maps are far more up to date, TTN6 maps are at least 2,5 years old and TTN7 won't run on the car deck as its not a supported device, if you do manage to install TTN7 and get it working the voices are all over the place so its really not worth the effort, neither in time or money - Mike
grahamsmythe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your help so far. It really isn't my intention to buy pirated software.

I'll take your advice on the Sygic software - after all, you're the experts.

I've just seen on the Sygic website, but which version do I need to buy - they seem to have a million and one different versions for different devices!

Unfortunately the device that I've got isn't listed - in fact, the device that I have hasn't even got a brand name!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd need the version for Windows Mobile/PocketPC I'd imagine but MikeA might be able to confirm?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You'd need the version for Windows Mobile/PocketPC I'd imagine but MikeA might be able to confirm?

This is correct you will need the Windows Mobile version as the device you have in the car is Win CE based, whilst this isn't a true Windows Mobile platform it is close enough to make no difference in this instance.

Follow the link I offered earlier as to setting up the device so when you hit the GPS button the device will launch the correct nav application - Mike
grahamsmythe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

basic question. Is mcguider and sygic the same thing? Or two separate products like tomtom and Garmin?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcguider is essentially an OEM version of sygic although mcguider is no more and teleatlas are referring people to use sygic. the software is exactly the same except for the 'loading' screen.

MaFt
grahamsmythe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK sorry to be a real pain, but a few more questions if that's OK...

1. When I buy the Sygic software, do I need to buy the maps from somewhere else? Is the Sygic software just the 'sat nav' software?

2. When I buy the Sygic software, does it actually need 'installing' as on my sat nav I don't there's a facility to 'install' it. The sat nav is just looking for a file to launch and run.

3. If I've got to get the maps separately, where's the best place to get them, and which are the best ones out there?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamsmythe wrote:
OK sorry to be a real pain, but a few more questions if that's OK...

1. When I buy the Sygic software, do I need to buy the maps from somewhere else? Is the Sygic software just the 'sat nav' software?

No, the map comes with the product.
Quote:
2. When I buy the Sygic software, does it actually need 'installing' as on my sat nav I don't there's a facility to 'install' it. The sat nav is just looking for a file to launch and run.

Dunno, Mike?
Quote:
3. If I've got to get the maps separately, where's the best place to get them, and which are the best ones out there?

N/A Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Sygic on-line shop and select the Windows Mobile platform followed by the regional coverage you require from the map, for example selecting UK&ROI will offer the 330MB download with a purchase price of 49,99 Euro, pay, download, copy to SD card, insert card to car deck, modify the file path to point to the new exe file for Sygic and enjoy.

Edit to add you get the application, voice files and map data all in the download, you don't need anything else from anywhere else - Mike
grahamsmythe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds dead straightforward.

I'll report back and let you know how I get on!

Many thanks for all your help.

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NavNGo iGO All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: