Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom say HD2 is not supported. Do they want our custom?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom say HD2 is not supported. Do they want our custom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my camera database yonks ago (probably when I bought TTN6 three or four years ago) and have been meaning to update it but just never got around to it. I think it's in an older format, but will remove it anyway as it's so old you can't really rely on it any more.

Ian
Formerly: Fortuna Clip On GPS, Dell Axim x50v
CheckPoint 6.0
Pocket GPS Safety Camera Database
Garmin eMap + MapSource UK maps
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Not sure that is quite right....if I remember correctly, and I would need to double check, I asked this very question some time back, and I think I had a response that it would be no problem to leave the cameras on.!

Quote from the wall of shame sticky
"If you share your database with others and they upload it then it is YOU that will forfeit your subscription and be banned."
If it was me I would take them off.

@ifb-online

AFAIK TTN7 has never been available separately (in the UK) either as a download or as a retail pack. It has only ever been bundled with and for certain specific HTC phones.

And I would not recommend upgrading to TTN7 even if you could find a version. The maps are well out of date and I doubt that they will be updated. What is more you can't even buy a map for the USA for TTN7. And I doubt very much that TT will update given MS's announcement of the imminent arrival of WM7 which will not be backwards compatable with WM6.

My view is that TTN have pretty well abandoned PDA/phone apps unless you have an iphone. I would look at some alternatives such as Sygic or Copilot.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, you have got me thinking; I'm not that keen on CoPilot, but I had never heard of Sygic before. There don't seem to be that many reviews thought. From what I can see it looks rather similar to TT.

It seems to have a lot support for different platforms. If I bought it for Win Mobile and then later switched to Android, for example, would I need to buy it again or just install a new app compatible with the platform?

Ian
CheckPoint 6.0
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ifb-online wrote:
If I bought it for Win Mobile and then later switched to Android, for example, would I need to buy it again or just install a new app compatible with the platform?

Ian

Sygic used to go under the name McGuider if that is any help. It is very good - similar user interface to TT, and that is about the only thing in TT that is very good!

It comes complete with installation software for WM, Symbian and Android - or at least the retail pack I bought from Teleatlas did. And it also comes complete with a 4Mb micro SD card (and adaptor for SD) with all of the software, plus also a DVD with all of the software. So you are fully covered.

However you need to get it registered with Sygic before it will work - it was very easy because it was all done automatically on my phone. And I guess they may not automatically register it twice. The easiest way is to email them and ask if it is possible - contact details are at www.Sygic.com. Their support is very good and I usually get a reply within a day.

In the meantime have a look at the posts in Sygic forum here to see what others think of it.
Copilot for USA
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Sygic info.

This has all made me rethink. I see that the Android HTC Desire is the same price as the WM HD2. The HD2 is amazing in pictures, but it's quite large in real life. The Desire has the same res screen, but smaller, and it's AMOLED (better display angles and performance in bright light and lower power consumption).

The main thing that was keeping me with WM was familiarity, and you may be surprised to hear - TTN6. This works great for me on my Tytn II, and I see no need to change, but as it looks like I can't continue with TTN6 then it looks like I should seriously consider other platforms. I don't like iPhone, while Android is looking very attractive on the HTC Desire.

Ad it looks like Sygic satnav is the solution for Android (and WM).

I'll keep you posted!

Ian
CheckPoint 6.0
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have an Android phone (HTC Hero) and am very pleased with it. My previous 2 phones were both WM with sat nav - an Ipaq with TTN5 and then an HTC Touch Dimaond with TTN6.

What I like about my Hero is the capacative screen - the same as on the iphone. It is much more responsive to flicks and swipes and makes the use of a stylus unnecessary. Android, and especially the SenseUI that HTC build into the Hero, is designed to make the most of this feature.

I have not regretted my changes as at. Android is a good compromise between the free for all that is WM and the locked down tight iphone.

If you are interested look at http://androidforums.com/android-phones/
Copilot for USA
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: TomTom give compensation? Hah! Reply with quote

ifb-online wrote:

Seeing as I get on fine with TTN6, I should think that TTN7 would be just fine too. Is it not available as a download from the TT site?

Nope!
tomtom web site http://www.tomtom.com/landing_pages/navigator7/en-gb/faq.html#faq-04 wrote:
Can I buy TomTom NAVIGATOR 7 as a download?

At the moment this is not possible, unless you already have NAVIGATOR 7 on your phone. If you don’t have TomTom NAVIGATOR 7 yet, you need to buy the microSD card product in the TomTom Web Shop. Soon it will be possible to buy TomTom NAVIGATOR 7 as a download in the Map Shop.
This is a page I found through Google search, and probably out of date as its compatibility list is entirely old phones. The current page does not say it will be available as a download. This is out of step with the world and their competitors. I have submitted a request to them, and we'll see how they reply.

Quote:
It's a bit cheaper in boxed form though (maybe only marginal including postage).

Not sure I understand - not available as a download on their web site. That is also counter-intuitive.
Quote:
I am a little miffed that I will most likely need to upgrade to 7 with no compensation as an existing 6 user though, especially as I bought the Western US map as well.

Ian

TomTom never compensated me when I moved from 5 to 6, which was pretty much straight away as the "delightful people at TomTom" updated their system just after I bought it.

Now if only Sygic would use ov2 POIs directly rather than having to convert them, I would buy that straight away.
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion, I simply assumed that TTN7 was downloadable from the TT site as that's how I had bought all my previous TTN stuff.

Ian
CheckPoint 6.0
st1967
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

AFAIK TTN7 has never been available separately (in the UK) either as a download or as a retail pack. It has only ever been bundled with and for certain specific HTC phones.

And I would not recommend upgrading to TTN7 even if you could find a version. The maps are well out of date and I doubt that they will be updated. What is more you can't even buy a map for the USA for TTN7. And I doubt very much that TT will update given MS's announcement of the imminent arrival of WM7 which will not be backwards compatable with WM6.

My view is that TTN have pretty well abandoned PDA/phone apps unless you have an iphone. I would look at some alternatives such as Sygic or Copilot.

TT7 is available for PDA / Smartphones. However it is only supplied on a microSD card.

As long as you have TT7 loaded on your phone you can also buy map packages which are available as downloads. I think the latest they offer is v8.45 which is quite recent.

I know TomTom have been a bit lax in the PDA / Smartphone department but they are the only player with a decent (an reliable-ish) traffic solution for a smartphone.
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="st1967"]
peterc10 wrote:

I know TomTom have been a bit lax in the PDA / Smartphone department but they are the only player with a decent (an reliable-ish) traffic solution for a smartphone.

I haven't had much need for traffic info to-date, but I must say that from what I have seen of Google Navigation on Andoroid 2.x phones, their offering looks very interesting (both for turn by turn satnav and traffic warning). I know it's early days for this solution, but the more I research it, more I feel that so much has changed and continues to change when it comes to smartphone and GPS.

Ian
CheckPoint 6.0
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

st1967 wrote:

TT7 is available for PDA / Smartphones. However it is only supplied on a microSD card.

That has only come out in the last few weeks (if that). I looked about a month ago and it was not there, I looked this weekend and it was. Too little too late I am afraid for me and for many others who just got fed up waiting.

And just to emphasise how little it is remember you can't buy maps of the USA for TTN7 (or at least you couldn't when I checked 5 minutes ago). And it is only avaialble for a small range of WM6 phones (all except 2 made by HTC) with no Android version.

And as for too late remember MS are bringing out WM7 later this year to replace WM6 and it will not be backwards compatable - so not exactly a very long production run!

@ ifb-online

Google Navigation is only available in the USA at the moment, with no word as to when or if it is coming to the UK.

But I agree with you that there are a lot of changes for smartphones with a lot more to come I suspect.
Copilot for USA
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

And as for too late remember MS are bringing out WM7 later this year to replace WM6 and it will not be backwards compatable - so not exactly a very long production run!

Well, MS has said that it will continue to support 6.5, and there are lots of users who will NOT be converting. It will run on for years, as it is a great operating system fro people who want to play with it, and make it different to suit them. WP7 will not allow that.
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ifb-online"]
st1967 wrote:
peterc10 wrote:

I haven't had much need for traffic info to-date, but I must say that from what I have seen of Google Navigation on Andoroid 2.x phones, their offering looks very interesting (both for turn by turn satnav and traffic warning). I know it's early days for this solution, but the more I research it, more I feel that so much has changed and continues to change when it comes to smartphone and GPS.

Ian
Google is OK if you have a good phone signal. If not, you've no map.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
st1967 wrote:

That has only come out in the last few weeks (if that). I looked about a month ago and it was not there, I looked this weekend and it was. Too little too late I am afraid for me and for many others who just got fed up waiting.

And just to emphasise how little it is remember you can't buy maps of the USA for TTN7 (or at least you couldn't when I checked 5 minutes ago). And it is only avaialble for a small range of WM6 phones (all except 2 made by HTC) with no Android version.

@ ifb-online

Google Navigation is only available in the USA at the moment, with no word as to when or if it is coming to the UK.

But I agree with you that there are a lot of changes for smartphones with a lot more to come I suspect.

I purchased the US/Canada maps for V7 last year sometime....V840 something or other...via the States direct...and they work just fine, but don't rely on PGPSW camera database, as you cannot and shouldn't expect it to be 100%, which it isn't.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellwalker wrote:
Well, MS has said that it will continue to support 6.5,

Is that the same MS that "promised" to support all of its outdated PS OS's? Because if it is it is certainly not my definition of support.

Quote:
Google is OK if you have a good phone signal. If not, you've no map

Googles maps do work well, but they have never professed to be a turn by turn sat nav system. Google Navigation does, but, as I said in my previous post, is not available in the UK at present.

@Frequentflyer

You can't buy USA maps for TTN7 when registered in the UK. If you change the registration to the USA you still can't if you enter most phones. However I tried by pretending I had an HTC P3600 and they did offer me US maps allegedly for TTN7. But they are only version 6.75, which are the same as they offer for TTN6 and were last changed in 2007 I think.

Make of that waht you wish!! I have long since ceased trying to understand TT's thinking (assuming they have any) when it comes to the way they market their wares for the mobile market.
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: