Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 Very very slow - unresponsive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 Very very slow - unresponsive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put 7.481 on over the top of 8.010 - can't make it any worse!

Then go to 8.010.

Stay at that whilst I have a chat with Mike - it might be best going to 8.320 in between as well.
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 8.302 on my 930 as it is still the fastest and most reliable version and works fine with latest maps.

Navcore 9 works well, but there are problems with traffic not working as it's not officially released for the x20/x30 models yet.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have PM'd you a list of Navcore links - download them all and try them in order after 8.010 is installed.

Don't touch HOME or your map and let us know when it seems to stop responding OK.

When it does stop responding do a hard and soft reset and then run clearflash twice and see if it is still the same. I too have to go out so will catch up later on.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navcore 8,3xx versions released around this time last year for the x20 range caused a lot of issues with complaints of FM Transmitter not working and stuttering voices, in fact as I recall we had something like a thirty page thread about the issue on this forum.

Closer to Christmas I found out that Navcore 8,320 which is only supposed to be used with the TomTom Work system improved a lot of the issues that people were reporting, but installing this caused other problems such as TomTom Home not being able to see the device, something I considered an advantage!

If the 7,481 to 8,010 to 8,351 install doesn't fix the issue next will be to try swapping out the Text To Speech files to a different version which is where I firsted out in this thread by asking questions about some of the Loquendo files.

Report back what happens when you update post installation of 7,481 also where in the country are you located? - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leicestershire apparently - not close enough for us to fix it!

I reckon 8.320 and Loquendo 7 might be the answer - can't remember if this works with the 8.35 maps though???
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use 8.302 on my 930 as it is still the fastest and most reliable version and works fine with latest maps.

Hi Technic
I agree with you as regards v8.302. As far as I am concerned its superior to the other versions by far.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just starting these installs now while we watch the tv and have dinner - good recipe for indigestion! Will report back later if I haven't shot myself... intend to stop then at 8.302 if we get that far.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - when 8.302 is on and if it is working OK take a backup again.

It might be worth trying 8.320 with the LoquendoTTS v7 Kate voice

You can download that from

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/tts/loquendo7/British_English-female-Kate.cab
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, unbelieveably this is the situation...

It worked fine with the Navcore updates manually added up until 8.10. Then I extracted 8.300 direct to the 720 and it has become unresponsive and is exhibiting all the symptoms I have experienced with the later updates.

That seems to suggest that whatever is affecting it at 8.300 isn't any better with much later updates i would have downloaded automatically using Home.

Any advice?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put 8.320 on it and make sure you don't select a computer voice

Reset to factory defaults and do a hard reset as well.

Is it unresponsive with 8.320?

You are still on your original maps?
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy/Mike

Ok, I didn't update the maps for any of those updates as you asked me to do above.

I have just clean formatted the 720 again.

I thought I would just ttry putting the 8.320 from cold, no maps. It stops of course with 'no maps found'. I then plug in the usb lead to computer and it asks me 'connect to computer'. Even at this stage I have to press 'yes' several times before it responds.

The 720 in its original form would respond instantly to that key press.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, further update. I have gone through this whole process again, formatting it, clear flashing, no map updates, loading one updating application after another. This time i added the Loquno voices too and I am still in exactly the same position. This unit does not seem to work properly anything after 8.010.

I know logic suggests that if it works up to that point the hardware is unlikely at fault. I also know software faults manifest themselves in different ways, but this is consistently the same everytime. Once it gets to the map screen, I can already see how it draws the same fault coming. The status bar flashes in part as if it is being pressed (when it isn't) and then it just responds very slowly and several key presses behind.

The best way I can describe it is to suggest that 'behind the screen' the 720 is working ok, it responds when plugged in or hardware switched on or off, but it can't register the screen presses properly. It is unuseable. In original form and up to 8.010 it responds quite positively and quickly.

I really have had enough of this to be honest, I feel like driving over the thing! This is a refurb unit, to be honest I'd like a refund but Total PDA tell you 7 days and you are in the hands of TomTom with a manufacturer warranty. Not much chance of getting a refund from them. So, could do with some advice tro ensure I get a replacement unit and not just a reflashed unit.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am stumped! I have never seen this before.

For the latest maps you need to be running 8.3xx, so if you cannot get it stable with any 8.3 Navcore you are stuck.

I would format again, put the day one backup on and then just let HOME do whatever it wants to it and then send it back to TT.

Make sure you include in the box a description of what happens, and that 8.351 will not run, but 8.010 does with the old maps.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, went back to the original install of the720, then updated to 8.010. Did a reset, factory settings, clear flash. Still all ok.

Then I connected Home. It only offered me the application update, it no longer 'sees' the updated map it has in it's directory since I deleted everything except the maps earlier today.

I updated the application to that offered which is an 8.3xx version. Result, as always, unresponsiveness.

So, if we do it the unofficial way, or we do it the official TT way, my 720 will not update to a working version beyond 8.010.

I just hope they swop this unit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a funny feeling they might be rather interested to see this device back at HQ rather than a simple swap, you cannot contact them until Monday morning on the UK support number 0845 161 0009 but if you are happy for me to pass your details through to TomTom with a view to sorting this out I am more than willing to assist.

I am also baffled by this and would like to see why the device is behaving in this way, it might also shed some light on the poor x20 performance post Navcore 8,3xx which seems to hit some devices harder than others - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: