Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 Very very slow - unresponsive
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 Very very slow - unresponsive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right guys, looks like the end of the road with this, I've invested hours and hours playing with the damn thing.

I have completely wiped the 720, tried just moving certain files, tried just with new application updates, new maps, no maps, everything. When i did the earlier application it worked but couldn't find the maps. Really I shouldn't be having to do this with a mature consumer product. If i wasn't a bit clued up with computers and have some understanding of all this it would have gone back by now.

If I was to hazard a guess at the issue its a screen driver problem or something like that. It works fine in original 720 factory configuration, i can apply user updates, hot fixes etc. voices, but as soon as I update the application eiether before or after latest maps, it goes into this unresponsive mode. If it reboots, after update, the first screen is pick a language and without touching the screen it scrolls through to the end, you can't select anything except for many key presses etc. Going to ring them tomorrow.

I bought this at Total PDA, when I rang when my first 720 went wrong (funnily enough after an update a few weeks ago) they quickly referred me to TomTom. they let me send that back and sent me this one. Total PDA are not interested in refunds and tell you your in the hands of TomTom basically unless it's DOA. if anyone is contemplating using them, avoid the refurb route. Might be a garmin or even an Aldi for me next time, not impressed.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you go from 8.010 that couldn't find your maps to the latest apps and it was still the same?

If it is fine with 8.010 (apart from the map issue) then this is fixable.

Where are you in the UK?

Welcome to the world of TT!!!!!!
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, yes, tried that, a numerous configurations, all spurred on by the fact that yes, I do think this is fixable. It seems a bit like a combination lock, you know it will open, you even have the numbers, but what is the order? ...and not only that, it went from a factory fresh 720, plugged into TT Home for it to manage the updates originally and even that is flawed.

I've had sat nav since running an early version of TomTom on a Psion years ago but I have always been fairly lucky up until this 720. Even my TT One v3 was flawless prompting me to buy the 720.

I'm in Leicestershire btw.

I may just have one more go...

Ok, lets imagine i clear the Tt and format it...what is the start point? I also have a backup of the original configuration, and an updated one that fails, plus your 8.10. my maps are original 720 and one from an LMG update last week (before 8.4). Iknow the maps reside in 'Western Europe@ folder but I wouldn't be exactly sure what else may need to be copied over if there are individual files. Any help for a final process appreciated!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - for starters don't use HOME at all for any of this. Make sure that HOME is not running (no icon in the taskbar). Also, make sure all memory cards are removed and we are only working with the internal memory. A hard reset and a soft reset to factory defaults wouldn't go amiss before we start. If you really want to make sure, run clearflash as well.

As you have a day one backup with the original maps etc then format the TT as FAT32 (full format, not a quick one) and copy your entire back up on to the TT.

Now, from within My Computer, right click on the drive letter for your TT and choose Eject. It will now reboot.

When you are prompted to Connect to Computer choose No and then power off the TT.

Now power on the TT and this time choose yes when prompted to Connect to Computer.

Use WinRAR to extract the 8.010 Navcore directly to the drive letter of your TT. When it asks you about overwriting files choose Yes to All.

When this has finished, Eject your TT again and choose No at the prompt. Power the TT down.

Undock the TT and then power on - now have a play around and check you are happy that everything works OK.

You are now running 8.010 with your original maps - if all has gone well then you should have no problems.

Post back when you have got this far and are happy that it is working OK.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Use WinRAR to extract the 8.010 Navcore directly to the drive letter of your TT. When it asks you about overwriting files choose Yes to All.

Further to Andys excellent advice the following set of instructions which I wrote some time ago might help you with installing 8,010 using WinRar.

To install this to your device I use WinRar which you can download from Here Switch the TomTom on and connect it to your PC, if TomTom Home starts up exit the application as Home isn't needed for this.

Double click the file :

navcore_8.010.9369.gox20 for Gox20
navcore_8.010.9369.gox30 for Gox30

Depending upon which one you downloaded and winrar will fire up, use the mouse to select all files and folders then click "Extract To"

Locate the drive letter associated with your TomTom and click it, make sure the Overwrite mode is selected to "Ask before overwrite", then press "OK"

When the dialogue box pops up saying "Confirm File Replace" click the "Yes To All" button.

Sit back and watch the progress bar, with a good USB2 connection a Navcore 8,010 installation will take around 2 minutes.

When its finished the update use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the Task Tray and remove the lead from the device.

Let the device boot up and tap the sat strength meter (lower left) followed by the version box, the resultant screen will confirm the version installed is Navcore 8,010 - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike - I couldn't be bothered with screenshots - I think I have posted enough screenshots over the last couple of days Laughing Out Loud
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, at last! I have it running with the 8.010 app!

I think I may back this up now! Guys, what is the next stage?!!! Smile
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - now it is working with 8.010 and your old map take a full Windows Explorer backup - see FAQ. Make sure HOME is still completely closed.

Now go to your My Documents\TomTom\Home\Download\Complete folder and delete all of the subfolders except the map folder. This will have got rid of everything HOME has downloaded except your new map.

Now, fire up HOME and see what updates you get offered.

Update any voices and any other updates you get offered except application, maps and mapshare updates. When these are done, eject the TT from within HOME and check everything is still OK.

If it is still OK, reconnect to HOME and update ONLY the Application. Again, eject from within HOME and check that it works OK. If all is fine, take another full Windows Explorer backup. Repeat until you are no longer being offered any application updates.

Now, connect back to HOME and update your map using your previously downloaded map - you will find it in Add Traffic Voices Safety Cameras etc - Items on My Computer.

Again, eject from within HOME and check that all is well. If it is, take another full backup.

Hopefully you should now be fully up to date and working!
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is so frustrating.

This works up to installing 8.010, and then the next stage is add the updates (but not the application update etc) as per your instructions. Still works fine.

The stage after that is then update the application...I did that and can immediatly see it will not work properly with the update!

It reboots, the screen draw looks incorrect, the outlines of roads etc. look 'dotted' the unit will go back into not responding to key presses etc. It is as if this is bad software for this device and consistently I get exactly the same result when we get to this point.

I decided to see if I could get past this point. Home does not offer me any more application updates. I thought i may be able to add the latest map I have previously downloaded. Even though I did not delete 'map' from the 'complete' folder and I can see it is sitting there intact, I am now told by Home no maps are in My Computer and all can be bought at cost!

I have followed the instructions to the letter.

This is either a duff software application from TT not driving the 720 correctly, or else there must be a hardware issue that is being hit on with these application updates? Is this the same issue as the guy with the 520 that will not update in another active thread? Units are very similar and sahre the same application updates?

I have no faith in TT. I had a conversation with them on Thursday and had to practically argue to get an agreement to send it back. I am sure they will just flash it to original 720 (which I can do myself) and send it back as 'working'. I have the return envelope already here from regenesis who handle the returned units.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - format it again and go back to the 8.010 backup.

Now download this

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.302.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

Manually extract this to your TT overwriting all files. As usual, make sure HOME is completely closed. Delete mapsettings.cfg from within the map folder on your device.

Eject, reboot, power off, disconnect and then power up and see if this version works OK. Perform a hard and soft reset to be on the safe side as well.

Connect to HOME and update again but do not update application or maps or mapshare.

Eject from HOME and see if all OK - if so, guess what, take a full backup.

Don't update to 8.351 or try to update your map yet - I will talk you through a manual map update once 8.302 is working.

Out of interest what voice are you selecting? - steer clear of TTS (Computer) Voices for now - use Jane or Tim

Have you been trying any other application versions like Navcore 9?

What is your bootloader version?
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, just doing all that now.

Generally I would use Jane, although I think on the last install this morning I selected Kate. However I haven't got to the stage where I use any voice.

I haven't any idea which bootloader I use. The 720 came from Regenerisis so presumably whatever it comes with unless it has been updated. Home is version 2.7.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is going from the original Navcore supplied with the device when new (Probably 7,221) then its worth trying to install 7,481 as a transition step BEFORE putting 8,010 on the device and going any further as 7,481 contained a vital update that might have been missed off your device - Only just thought of this one when re-reading the thread from the start, I will try and dig out a direct link to 7,481 later today as I don't have the URL to hand - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/navcore_7.481.9086.gox20.cab
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tap on your signal satellite signal strength meter, tap on the small box with the application version number and it takes you to a screen showing the full version numbers.

Post back what it says your bootloader version is.
MoPlain
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys, first can I just acknowledge the patience and help from you guys, very much appreciated.

Right, i was just reinstalling the 8.010 version when Mike came in with the 7.4x response and so now I have just downloaded the navcores as requested so they are both on my computer.

I have looked at that screen so presently it says...

App 8.010 (9369/08529) OS 190943
64Mb RAM (28.7 free)
GPSv1.21 Boot 5.5120
Map Westwern Europe v7.15.1703
English UK

Guys, I'm dying to get this sorted by the Mrs is moaning we need to get a couple of other things done. Please feel free to post any advice and I'll get on with it a little later.

Do I need to format again to install the 7.4x navcore or do you think I could just try over the top of 8.010?

many thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: