Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Announcing speed cameras on my tom tom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Announcing speed cameras on my tom tom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Announcing speed cameras on my tom tom Reply with quote

Hi
Is it possible for my tom tom 910 to be able to announce in words what type of speed camera I am approaching i.e MOBILE CAMERA, TRAFFIC LIGHTS CAMERA, AVERAGE SPEED CAMERA, OVERHEAD GANTRY CAMERA.
I think you can set the tom tom to get different tones /bleeps for different cameras but I would like an announcement which tells me exactly what camera is coming up.
Thanks
JimmyMerlin
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download the 'Speed Zoned' complete set of cameras, thats what you get.

I get warnings such as "Gatso ahead, speed limit 30mph".
"Average speed zone, speed limit 50mph", "Red light camera ahead" and so on.
You will need to set the distance that you want each warning to kick in, takes about 15 -20 mins to do depending on how quick your fingers are.

That could be what you are after.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 910, you can then either create your own OGG Files to give the appropriate warning or, in the Warn When Near Menu, type in any Warning you like.

Is the current OGG File method not to your liking?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: reply for Oldboy Re speed camera announcments Reply with quote

Hello OldBoy

Iam sorry but I do not understand what you mean by "Is the current OGG File method not to your liking"

What does OGG stand for?????

Thanks

Jimmymerlin
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we assume that you are either using TT's set of speed camera warnings or none at all?

If you are not using this site's cameras and warnings then you are missing something! You'll need to join first - £20 very well spent per year.

Then, there are some great spoken warnings also available for free - they do exactly what you want!

OR are you already using this site's camera database but have not yet set up the voice warnings?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: reply for Oldboy Re speed camera announcments Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
What does OGG stand for?????

.ogg is a format of audio file. Our real voice audio alert files are in .ogg format and work with our speed camera database. So you can have 'Warning GATSO, speed limit 50 miles per hour' if you use the 'Speed Zoned' version of our database or you can have 'Warning mobile speed camera' if you use the simpler 'Consolidated by type' version.

You can download these alerts here.
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:59 am    Post subject: rfp2001 Reply with quote

In reply to rfp2001, I am a memeber of Pocket gps world and have downloaded the camera database from the site..................... but I have never deleted anything that was in my original tom tom, could this be why I sometimes get multiple warnings?????

If I should have deleted the tom tom warnings that came with my tom tom 910, how do I do that now ????
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessary to delete the TT database, just to set up the voice warnings to go with your PGSWorld database. But it is necessary to download the correct set of voice warnings that correspond to your PGSWorld cameras - eg if you have installed "Speed Zone Complete" database then you will require the same "Speed Zone Complete" voice set. Once downloaded then they are extracted/unzipped and dropped into your map folder. All that then remains is to go through your cameras and select the distance frrom camera you want.

Voice warnings are available from here

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/speed-camera-alerts-tomtom.php

for free!

Helpful instructions here, too.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rfp2001 wrote:
It's not necessary to delete the TT database...

If you are getting double warnings and you don't want them, you *do* need to disable or delete the original TomTom-supplied camera info.

To disable them -
Main menu - TomTom Services - TT Safety Cameras - Disable alerts (your menus may be slightly different)

To delete them -
Either: in Home go to Manage my Go, Items on my device, find the safety cameras, tick the boxes and select "Remove items from my device".
Or: browse the map folder with Windows Explorer and delete anything called "Safety_Cam...." for the UK cameras. Other Euro cameras have names like "Radar..." "Blitzer..." etc.

As ever, backup before tinkering.

(Moved to the TomTom section of the forum - more relevant there...)
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: setting up voice warnings Reply with quote

I am trying to set up the voice warnings on my tom tom 910.

I have just copied the latest updated list of speed cameras and ogg files into my tom tom.

But on the instructions I am following it show the following menu which says:-

Full spoken warning etc
Brief spoken warning etc
Sound effect
Type in your own warning

I can't seem to find this menu which is shown on the instructions but seem to go to the tom tom menu that has the various sounds shown ie bell 1,2,3 bleep1,2,3 etc etc etc

Please can you explain to me where I have gone wrong?
Thanks
JimmyMerlin
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't operating your TT through HOME are you?

If so, for licensing reasons the LoquendoTTS is disabled.

I rename the files using a batch file and then use brief spoken warnings.

Edit
Just reread you rpost and realised you are using the ogg files - ignore me Laughing Out Loud
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: setting up voice warnings Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
But on the instructions I am following it show the following menu which says:-

Full spoken warning etc
Brief spoken warning etc
Sound effect
Type in your own warning

I can't seem to find this menu which is shown on the instructions but seem to go to the tom tom menu that has the various sounds shown ie bell 1,2,3 bleep1,2,3 etc etc etc

Please can you explain to me where I have gone wrong?
Just tick the Option Sound Effect, and if there is a correctly named OGG File present Press Done and on the next screen Press YES.

DO NOT press NO! You have been warned. Wink

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Just tick the Option Sound Effect, and if there is a correctly named OGG File present Press Done and on the next screen Press YES.

I think he's saying he doesn't get that screen at all, Richard!

Jimmy....So you are not seeing this screen at any time?

Maybe you're on old software or have not got the text to speech voices that came with the 910 installed properly any more.

The quickest way to solve this is to use METHOD 2, instructions which are on the same page HERE.

With method 1... The "pairing" of the ogg files with the camera data files depends on an undocumented feature of the TomTom software - that an ogg file with EXACTLY the same name as a POI file, should automatically get used. However, the set-up menus weren't written to allow for that, so the behaviour is a bit odd. When you select "Sound effect", NORMALLY you get a page with the bings and bongs, and NEXT you get the distance to the alert page. If a suitably named ogg file is in the same folder, it SHOULD just skip to the distance page and not give you the sound effect selection page. With devices such as yours with text to speech voices, you should get the extra screen before you get to the sound and distance selection pages.

HOWEVER, sometimes that just doesn't seem to work, in which case you can use THE MUCH BETTER WAY (method 2) WHICH ALWAYS WORKS.
TomTom want you to use that method.....
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My misreading. Embarassed

If a non-TTS voice is being used the Menu Selection goes straight from the Distance Screen to the Screen that asks, Is this the sound you want to select? But only if the OGG file is present, otherwise you get the bells, etc. selection instead.

Have the OGG Files been put into the W&C Europe Map Folder with the OV2 and BMP Files, and do they match the Camera Type selection?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: