Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Does CoPilot know where its going?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Does CoPilot know where its going?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andymac1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Does CoPilot know where its going? Reply with quote

I am a long time TomTom user so in one respect I have got to understand the routes TomTom takes, and they are usually the ones I would drive myself.

Recently I fancied a change and opted for CoPilot, very different to TomTom but I like the layout etc, but does it know where its going?? I live near Ipswich and drive to my parents in Preston quite often. Common sense to me is to drive A14, M6 all the way to Preston, just two roads. CoPilot wants to drive 50 miles south down the A12 then M25 to come up the M1 then A57 from Sheffied to Manchester and M60 M61 to Preston.

Why??? I find quite often it goes in the most extraordinary ways, is its mapping flawed beyond belief? or is nobody else having routing problems.

Any answers gratefully received.

Andrew
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it not mapping it looks more like a routing problem try setting up a custom routing profile or put a way point on the a14

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
labeline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Co Pilot 6 on my PDA. Whilst most of the time its fine, it does choose some devious routes even if I put a waypoint in on the roads I want to use. I have tried a number of ways to get it to follow the route I want to take and it will still take me 50 miles out of my way usually including my route but adding a loop as well. Its only a computer programme so I guess all of them have quirks. Its ok if you know roughly where you are going but a bit of a pain if you dont!
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Alix776 said, the best way to resolve these problems is to set up a routing profile (under 'Settings', 'Routing').

I live in the middle of countryside and don't like the standard 'default' profile as it tends to use main roads, when really I just want to use country lanes. I therefore set up a profile that puts a 'preferred' status on 'Secondary Roads'. However, this is not always suitable for when I want to travel mainly by motorway, so I've set up another profile that favours motorways.

My advice would be to only make very small changes from the default profile at first (such as favour or avoid one type of road only) and if this doesn't do what you want, go back and make some more changes. If you make the profile too specific you can end up getting some very strange routing!

CoPilot is very flexible and lets you choose your own routing preferences with a lot more control than TomTom, but I quite agree that out-of-the-box it does seem very strange at times.
IMB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be the A14 it doesnt like, I planned a route from St Neots to Ipswich and it wanted me to use A1 M25 and the A12. I decided to use the A428 and the A14 and at Cambridge it wanted me to dirvert to the M11, M25 and then the A12, weird. It got to route on the A14 only when I'd past Cambridge and was heading towards Newmarket.
A bug in the software.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be that its only recognising the a14 as an A road and not the unofficial motorway it is

device Lumia 950 xl
andymac1969
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoPilot does not like the A14 at all, I have amended my profile, chosen alternatives to favourite roads, but it will not go the obvious way from Ipswich to Preston.

I cannot change its idea of either going via the M25 or the A57 over the Snake Pass, it is such a pity as I really do like the programme, but I may have to concede defeat and dust of my TomTom one.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put way points in to force the route you want peronally from ipswich id go a17 a1 m62

device Lumia 950 xl
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this routing problem is why i left CP and went to TT. CP6 took me on some strange routes. A shame as I preferred its interface and maps.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing you could do is go the way you know and let copilot catch up

i think its the road weighting that copiliot gives the a14 for some reason

device Lumia 950 xl
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
one thing you could do is go the way you know and let copilot catch up

i think its the road weighting that copiliot gives the a14 for some reason

Funny, but I thought the whole point of satnav was to help you get to places you do NOT know. If it cannot cope with areas you know, what good is it when you are going somewhere different? Its hard to check its routing if you do not know the area, so to try and assess its worth, I tried it in places I knew first. CP6 seriously messed up my journey to London City Airport ( a route I did not know), and that was three years ago when CP6 was still new with recent maps.
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about stuffed-up routing, I just drove from the other side of Reading (Berkshire) to south London (near the Croydon area), and while I had no major issues with the routes it supplied, there's a serious problem with the route information and safety Camera handling, to say the least.

Driving along the Carshalton Road (A232) towards Croydon, at the junction of Pound Street, there are traffic lights, and while the A232 continues from Carshalton Road into Pound Street, they're at right angles to each other - it didn't even mention bear or turn left verbally, although the route map showed the route moving left. Likewise, the junction of Croydon Road (A232) and Purley Way (A23), the route turns right onto Purley Way, then left into Stafford Road, bearing right into Duppas Hill (A232), there are no right or left turn commands verbally, though the map does show the deviations in route (but not as turns).

In addition, it didn't report the Monitron on the Carshalton Road (MONITRON:56201@30), and in several cases over the weekend away, I've noticed it reporting "caution safety camera" five times for the same camera - most annoying.

This is on the trial version, I should add, and thus far, while I'm vastly impressed with the quality of the mapping, and clearness of the display, I'm far from pleased with the rest of it.

Just my five penny'worth.
dirty_crankshaft
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't. The routing on CP7 is rubbish (for example when joining the M4 at J33 to go east, it directs me west to J34 to go around the roundabout and rejoin the motorway heading east. On ignoring this instruction, it immediately recalculates the correct route - so it does know that there is an eastbound on slip at J33 ! Figure that one out..).
I liked the interface, hated the speed camera handling and have now reverted to TTN6 with its hopelessly outdated maps.
I desperately want to continue with a PDA based system but do not know which way to turn.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igo8 Very Happy
Fellwalker
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
igo8 Very Happy

But it only works from the SD card that it is supplied on. Who would want such a tiny card in a modern phone?
Samsung Galaxy Note 9, Nexus 5, Galaxy tab S3. Also use OSMAnd+, Sygic Mobile Maps, and OS maps app. Also "Great Britain Topo Maps" and "Old Maps". Don't use speed camera database as sticking to the limit is safer.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: