Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fortuna Clip-On - Urgent Help Needed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fortuna Clip-On - Urgent Help Needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njseq
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Fortuna Clip-On - Urgent Help Needed Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have a Fortuna Clip-On and got 2 problems with it:

1 - I cannot switch between ST and XT modes. I do it while the device is off, use a pencil or a something to fit that tiny hole and switch to the left or right position, but when I turn-on the GPS it always goes to the XT position. I cannot change it to ST mode, that ST/XT switch is always on XT position.

2 - I can connect the device to my iPAQ 3870, create a bound connection but the software GPS software cannot communicate with my GPS. I use GPS from TomTom. I can't receive any information from the GPS. I select SiRF Bluetooth device, then COM8 and I see the BT lead in GPS blinking, but no information is displayed.
I also tried other modes like SiRF 38400 on COM8 or others and the BT lead (blue one) on GPS blinks and stays active but I cannot receive any data.

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME OUT, PLEASE?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

NJSEQ
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Njseq (Interesting name that!)

I know where you're coming from as thought exactly the same when I first got my clip on.

The switch position itself is irrelevant as it ALWAYS moves with the on/off switch and appears as if it is in XT mode.

The trick is to turn the unit off - in fact at this point it is not a bad idea to unscrew the back and take out the battery for a few moments the re assemble and then, using a pin or something equally as small (a pen is too big even though that is what they show in the less than helpful instructions) find the tiny hole and move the switch over, left for ST mode and to the right for XT mode.

Then you need to leave the unit with a clear view of the sky to find the satellites (and update itself from cold) this could in theary take up to 45 minutes, but I have found it to be somewhat less myself. - I have found however that I prefer to use the unit in XT mode to get the ball rolling and when a fix has been made (not connected to PDA and GPS software - a fix identified by the lights) then I switch to ST mode and the unit will get a fix in less that a minute. Read the manual section on the lights and this then may make more sense.

As for your other problem I cannot help - but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute who does know - Anyone??

Cheers

Steve
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveg wrote:
Hi Njseq (Interesting name that!)

I know where you're coming from as thought exactly the same when I first got my clip on.

The switch position itself is irrelevant as it ALWAYS moves with the on/off switch and appears as if it is in XT mode.

The trick is to turn the unit off - in fact at this point it is not a bad idea to unscrew the back and take out the battery for a few moments the re assemble and then, using a pin or something equally as small (a pen is too big even though that is what they show in the less than helpful instructions) find the tiny hole and move the switch over, left for ST mode and to the right for XT mode.

Then you need to leave the unit with a clear view of the sky to find the satellites (and update itself from cold) this could in theary take up to 45 minutes, but I have found it to be somewhat less myself. - I have found however that I prefer to use the unit in XT mode to get the ball rolling and when a fix has been made (not connected to PDA and GPS software - a fix identified by the lights) then I switch to ST mode and the unit will get a fix in less that a minute. Read the manual section on the lights and this then may make more sense.

As for your other problem I cannot help - but I'm sure someone will be along in a minute who does know - Anyone??

Cheers

Steve

Sorry for borowing you post Njseq.

But I have a qustion fir you Steveg. What is clear sky? Is it when there is not cloadsin the sky, or just outside a the building?

Have a nice day.
Razer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you can see blue sky, i would call that clear ;)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear view of the sky means outside with no major obstructions such as trees or buildings. Clouds make no difference.

David
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razer wrote:
when you can see blue sky, i would call that clear ;)

you mean the gps only works when it's npt cloads in the sky?
jlw
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Clear view of the sky means outside with no major obstructions such as trees or buildings. Clouds make no difference.

David

Thank you. Smile
Pat Boy Slim UK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother had the same connection problem and tomtom gave him the answer,which is no matter which model of BT GPS you use you always set tomtom to use the tomtom wireless gps !
UHF
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear sky removes all possibilities of problems connecting with the satellites. If you are not recieving a signal, it is best to know its not because it cannot see the satellites. However, I get a 5 satellite fix in Xt in my house bedroom in just a few seconds, 10-30 every time. GPS should, at least mine does, get a fix in any weather condition, snow, fog, rain, etc..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: