Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 8450 first impressions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 8450 first impressions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to suggest to Navigon that the Media Player might be the source of the problem. Can you remember if you were doing anything specific just before the 8410 collapsed in ruins?

Incidentally, I must admit they are being a bit backwards in coming forwards with replies to my latest queries as well - mind you, as one of them was 'when will UK Live Traffic be available?', maybe it's not too surprising Crying or Very sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I'd be inclined to suggest to Navigon that the Media Player might be the source of the problem. Can you remember if you were doing anything specific just before the 8410 collapsed in ruins?

I assume it's the codec update to play back mp3's etc that you are calling the Media Player update as I've not had any updates for the 8450.
I'd be surprised if the codec update did anything as that should have simply added a couple more files in order to play back file types, or more likely it was simply a license file which would have activated the additional file types.

I'm certain if you call them, they should get it sorted. Navigon have been very busy recently so the phone is going to be the best way to get things sorted out.
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rang Navigon this morning. From the response I received from a very helpful chap I got the impression that this was not the first call relating to this.
The problem started when I tapped the media player button while navigating.(not driving at the time). There was a momentry darkening of the button as you would expect. It locked up. A reset was carried out and you know the rest of the story!

I'm now awaiting an XML file from Navigon which should flatten the device and allow re registration and start all over.

For info... I was told today that the codec update is a free download for UK purchases ONLY. Tough luck fo me Crying or Very sad ... - but some good news... Navigon are sending me a UK type adaptor for my psu free of charge. Smile

I'll keep you informed!

Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For interest re POIWarner - today navigating.de said
Quote:
The use of POI-Warner is legal but it is an unsupported modification of your Navigon System. Therefore, if something goes wrong, Navigon will claim that POI-Warner is responsible for that and make you pay for the repair. However, POI-Warner can be removed completely in case of doubt.

speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update!

8410 INTERNAL memory reformatted (unable to proceed the usual way due to file / folder names and dates corrupted). I dumped various files / folders found in the navigon fresh backup and an XML control file from navigon support to the internal memory using copy / paste. I went for a restart and hey presto - it works.
Now re registered with navigon and shows free updates from today for 2 years!
Speedcams are on the map
Media player plays mp3's
Q4 still installed.

I'll check it out tomorrow...

Ray
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedygonzalis wrote:
Update!

8410 INTERNAL memory reformatted (unable to proceed the usual way due to file / folder names and dates corrupted). I dumped various files / folders found in the navigon fresh backup and an XML control file from navigon support to the internal memory using copy / paste. I went for a restart and hey presto - it works.
Speedcams are on the map
Media player plays mp3's
Q4 still installed.

Ray

Seriously looking at the 8450 and curious whats happening with you guy's on this thread .....

Cheers Con.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:
speedygonzalis wrote:
Update!

Speedcams are on the map
Media player plays mp3's
Q4 still installed.

Ray

Seriously looking at the 8450 and curious whats happening with you guy's on this thread .....

Cheers Con.

I'm very pleased with mine, however be aware that the LIVE traffic service still isn't active. Whatever the issue is neither Navigon or Intrix are saying... It's not the mobile phone connections as Google and weather services are working.
When I got my 8450 it wasn't much more expensive than the 8410 so it still worked out cheaper than getting the 8410 then buying the LIVE module.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought perhaps Live Traffic was still not working despite Navigon telling me in December that
Quote:
You can use the traffic live function in the UK already but at the moment the devices are not beeing sold in the UK by us yet, but if you get a French or other european device the live features will work in the UK
I asked them for more clarification a few days ago, and await their reply. I'll post any info.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I thought perhaps Live Traffic was still not working despite Navigon telling me in December that
Quote:
You can use the traffic live function in the UK already but at the moment the devices are not beeing sold in the UK by us yet, but if you get a French or other european device the live features will work in the UK
I asked them for more clarification a few days ago, and await their reply. I'll post any info.

Yeah, I'm waiting a couple of weeks then will ask again... at the moment it's bit too soon after Christmas to have expected any progress.
From what I can make out it's possibly Intrix who are dragging their heals for some reason. As Navigon have often said it's out of their hands and they are frustrated too?
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you in mind to ask for the 'Live' package to start from a satisfactory base date, while at the moment it may seem petty but this could go on for months Crying or Very sad

Con.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

conjopley wrote:
Are you in mind to ask for the 'Live' package to start from a satisfactory base date, while at the moment it may seem petty but this could go on for months Crying or Very sad

Con.

Sorry, little confused by what you said. I was saying that in some places the LIVE module version doesn't cost much more than the 8410 so if were planning to add it later it would be cheaper.
Unless you were wanting the Truck Navigation option as that is currently only on the none LIVE versions.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I spoke to the Navigon rep at the MPH show at the NEC in November he advised that the LIVE services were delayed because of a contractual issue with Trafficmaster over the data feed. At the time he anticipated it would be resolved fairly quickly but that doesn't seem to have happened.....
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep asking Navigon about Live Traffic, and they keep having extreme difficulty answering the exact question. The latest reply just received says
Quote:
At the moment the server is down for all liveservice products in europe.

We have not yet been informed when the server will be up and running again.
I am getting a stronger impression of heads and sand Rolling Eyes .I will keep trying - maybe there is a solution on the verge and they are just playing for time ...
conjopley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The delay in the Live Traffic only affects traffic conditions Question It has no bearing on the safety cameras Question

In answer to an earlier query, my meaning was for those that had purchased the Live Traffic and the start date commenced from installation, however with problems they are having means you cannot benefit from the facility so surely anyone affected should have the start date adjusted accordingly to when they can provide a problem free service.
Con.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At long last, after 4 attempts and 4 weeks, I got a straight answer from Navigon (Not good, just straight Evil or Very Mad )
Quote:
We have checked everything and unfortunately we do not yet have an exact release date for the live services in the UK. There will be a newsletter send out to all customers once this is beeing made available. We apologise for this inconvenience and wish you a nice start to the new week ( Rolling Eyes ).
Not too much of a problem for me as I'm waiting to see (a) a new unit with Live services module integrated, rather than a great clunky plug-in, and (b) how the iPhone market develops.

But for current owners, I see what conjopley is getting at - Google search, weather and cameras certainly isn't a great deal for the subscription for most people in the UK I would guess. So yes, there ought to be a new start date once the Traffic is implemented. Any chance, do you think Cool ?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: