Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Sat NavTesting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Sat NavTesting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Which Sat NavTesting Reply with quote

I have just received my December edition of the Consumer Magazine Which. Once again they have tested sat navs but because of ongoing changes in technology they have re-evaluated the way they test them.

This seems to mean this time round the three best buys are now all from Garmin. Once upon a time it was the other way around with TomTom always winning the accolades, perhaps TT have taken their eyes off the ball.

The Garmin devices score 73, 70 & 68 percent, whilst the only TomTom is in fourth place with 66 percent. After that its all some of the lesser known names, but this may just mean they did not test any of the other TT devices this time not that they are so bad they dont get in the list.

In fact looking online at the complete picture Garmin is top with one model at 75 percent then three TT devices at 73, 73, & 72 percent so it seems even Which cant get things sorted out either.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a member of Which? for many years, on and off (off at the moment). My feeling is that they are a great guide where you are buying something that you haven't got the time/expertise/experience to evaluate products from scratch yourself (though I would personally say only to help narrow initial choices).

But if you have a special 'interest' in something, you may well not agree 100% with their conclusions - for one thing they are often not quite uptodate as their testing/publication periods can be quite extended - eg, their recommendations some while back included ViaMichelin just after it had jumped market; and as you say, they couldn't test all the promising devices I was aware of then either.

So I would say, go with them if you CAN'T spare the time, but don't trust them blindly if you CAN.

(Of course, I do know they also do other good work as well on the legal, etc advice side)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: