Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcam database for 8410
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcam database for 8410
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

An update!

POIWarner now shows overlays Available = 109, POI Monitored = 1975, POI Displayed = 22447. This happened after loading SPEED - Complete databases for UK & Europe.

When using POIWarner Management to check files I get location details for NON speed cam entries.
For the pocketgps speedcam files I get a popup with the following message.

"This overlay must be registered with the POI-sync-partner's setup-file. Please contact your POI-sync-partner to get this setup-file.

On my Nav...de profile page I am shown registered with poihandler.com but not with pocketnavigatio.de. When I click on the registration link on the email that came from pocketnavigation.de, I am taken to a web page which tells me that my registration has already been enabled.

So, how to I activate the pocketgpsworld databases?

Also, I noticed a popup on the 8410 (within poiwarner) that said "no internet connection found - continue - exit". I think I stumbled on this when trying to analyse the above popup.
When I connnest the 8410 to the pc, it switches off and only shows graphics of the pc & 8410. How do I keep it on when connnected.

Thankyou

Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

Good - (some) progress at last!

Although you seem to have all the PGPSW cameras displayed, you don't have that many being monitored (acoustic alerts) maybe this is what you set up, but if you are not getting the sound alerts you want, go into Acoustic Alerts to set them up.

Have you driven past any cameras and confirmed that you DO get the visual warning displayed on the left side of the screen?

Quote:
This overlay must be registered with the POI-sync-partner's setup-file. Please contact your POI-sync-partner to get this setup-file.
I've never used this function as I never edit the PGPSW camera files, apart of course from reloading the database from time to time from the PGPSW site.

Quote:
When I click on the registration link on the email that came from pocketnavigation.de, I am taken to a web page which tells me that my registration has already been enabled.
Not sure why you would want to register with this site - are you actually wanting to load their (largely) german/austrian POIs? I've only registered with POIHandler, so can't help with this registration problem.

But I suspect you have misunderstood sopmething here
Quote:
So, how to I activate the pocketgpsworld databases?
As I said before, POINavigation.de is NOTHING to do with pocketGPSworld (THIS site) databases. If you drive past a camera as I suggested above, you SHOULD find you get a visual warning. If you don't, there's more work to do, but it's nothing to do with either of the two german 'synchronisation' partners.
Quote:
When I connnest the 8410 to the pc, it switches off and only shows graphics of the pc & 8410. How do I keep it on when connnected.
Nice easy answer to THAT one - you can't Exclamation Razz (AFAIK)
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David

Thankyou for the info. I am obviously getting confused with all the sites!

From what you say, I probably have the correct registration / activation for poiwarner / poi-handler.

Yes, I have driven past one of the few fixed cams (big grey box standing by the roadside) near to the airport on the TF1 but that was when the display was frozen! I may be driving past it today.

I'll try and amend the monitor function.

Now the annoying bit:

After transferring music files from the now defunct chinese unit to the 8410, (better listening than local radio), I made the discovery that the 8410 does not support .mp3 format, only .wma. Unbelievable. According to the popup message I can purchace other formats from navigon. Searching on their site I cannot find this option anywhere. I did find funny english voices for sale but not codecs. Any ideas on this one?

Also, on the instruction pdf it states that "various" power supply plug adaptors are supplied with the unit. The "check contents" paragraph lists various (not single) adaptors supplied. They should be euro, uk and usa types. I only received the euro one. Have I been diddled. Navigon do not list these adaptor for purchase.

On a lighter note, when trying to demist the windscreen in a torrential downpour (fiddling with heater controls & aircon), the 8410 shouted out "check screen" which was abit spooky as that is what we were trying to do! TMC had sprung into life and displayed a congestion warning up ahead.

Cheers
Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonandmarkuk had the same adaptor problem with his 8450 which he got from Pixmania (see his post on the 8450 thread) - is that where you got yours? He already had a Navigon and I got the impression he was going to use the charger from that. In your case, I reckon you need to go back to the supplier - assuming it was a UK supplier, I find it difficult to believe they could get away with selling devices here without a UK plug/adaptor.

With the music question I think the "free Media Player Upgrade" in Shop/Accessories/Multimedia page on their website is what was being referred to
Quote:

Digital-TV module

What do you actually do when you are stuck in congestion? You certainly won't be bored with the Digital-TV module: you can enjoy your favourite TV series! Or perhaps you'd prefer to listen to your latest choice of music, or view photos from your most recent holiday and indulge in happy memories? No problem – with the free Media Player Upgrade* you can access even more file formats on your NAVIGON. And before you know it, the road is clear again.

*The upgrade includes the following codes:
Video Decoder: MPEG4, MPEG4-ASP, DivX (3.4), XviD, Motion JPEG
Audio Decoder: AAC-LC, OGG, MP3
File Format Reader: MP4, M4A, M4V, ASF, MP3, 3GP, AAC, AVI, AMR & Xvid

Suitable for:

NAVIGON 8410 I 8450 Live
BUT Twisted Evil it looks as if the "free" media upgrade comes at a cost of £54.99 for the Digital-TV module!! Stop it! ; I think you need to check with Navigon - this looks like a bit of a greedy con, unless they supply the upgrade package on its own Crying or Very sad[/quote]
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the comments

I purchased my unit abroad (only because the unit I brought with me got totally nackered going through the airport scanner twice).
I registered the 8410 with Navigon and it shows as active on the " My Navigon" page.
However, when searching through the navigon site and help pages, I spotted that there may be a chance of downloading further codecs including mp3 through FRESH. Problem is that to do this you have to enter (re-enter) the activation code. I cannot find this anywhere. It is not in the box,, not on my navigon page and not on the email from navigon when I registered the 8410. Snookered.
Trying to find an email address for customer services has resulted in faq type page so no luck there.
Any suggestions please.
I an confused that ACTIVE is shown on my navigon page but when I click on map updates it tells me that it is not applicable for me even though the instructions say good for 2 years.

Also, can a pointing device (forgotten the correct name) be used on the 8410 as my fingers are too big for selecting the tabs/ buttons on the POIWarner pages.(OK on the Navigon buttons)

Regards
Ray
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll PM you the support e-mail address. Last Thursday evening when I contacted them I got a reply Friday morning and as my issue took a few attempts to resolve (mine didn't activate Freshmaps for some reason).

There is a codec pack, separate to the TV tuner. But it's only listed for sale on the German site. The problem is we have managed to get the 84xx units before they are officially on sale in the UK so the shop isn't fully sorted out.
But just mention it to support and they maybe able to get it sorted out for you.
If you were to buy the TV tuner, you would automatically get the codec pack included so if you are thinking about getting the tuner best not to pay for it (or you are basically paying twice).

As for the adaptor, try Pixmania or whoever you brought it from and point out to them that they should have included a adaptor (generally with electrical goods I have brought in the past they have included one) being a Sat Nav I guess they didn't think it needed on.
Failing that ask Navigon, or failing that still look on ebay for a USB charger or car lighter plug adapter. (Should you purchase the LIVE module later, that can only be powered by the car charging cable)
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several points you raised:

- activation code. I SUSPECT this isn't for you 8410, but for the codecs package, that you would be given once you paid for it;

- 2 year map updates. Check your packaging carefully - there MAY be a voucher code in there somewhere you have to enter to activate this;

- pointy thing. Look at the top right edge of the device (that's where it is on my 8310) - can you see something there that can be pulled out? If so that's the stylus that you want.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Several points you raised:

- activation code. I SUSPECT this isn't for you 8410, but for the codecs package, that you would be given once you paid for it;

- 2 year map updates. Check your packaging carefully - there MAY be a voucher code in there somewhere you have to enter to activate this;

- pointy thing. Look at the top right edge of the device (that's where it is on my 8310) - can you see something there that can be pulled out? If so that's the stylus that you want.

If you can't see the Q4 maps as a option to download then like mine the device isn't registered correctly.
Contact support on the e-mail I PM'd you and they will get it sorted (they will likely remove the device to force a re-registration)
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou all for the advice / instructions.

Just to clarify, the 8410 was purchased abroad (Tenerife, where I am for the next few days). I have been back to the reputable retailer and had confirmation that only the euro clip on adaptor is supplied.

No stylus supplied. No provision for storing one on the 8410.

I did see the Q4 map download when I first used Fresh but from my weak wifi link here in Tenerife it would have taken over 60 hours to download! I'll wait til I'm home on that one. The map database here in Tenerife (Q3) is way out of date. The igo8 version I used this time last year was much more accurate.

Somehow, after playing with the poiwarner popup I have got the same number of pois displayed as pois monitored (29000+). This was extremely hard to do as the buttons on screen are smaller than my finger resulting in incorrect selections most of the time. Very frustrating.

The pdf instructions do say that more than one power clip on adaptor is supplied, not just the one for the country of purchase, so I will be contacting Navigon on this issue. (why have 40 country database and not supply the correct adaptors?).

Cheers

Ray
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedygonzalis wrote:
Thankyou all for the advice / instructions.

No stylus supplied. No provision for storing one on the 8410.

Ray

Stylus won't work, the touch screen will not respond to jabs from a stylus due to the technology of the screen (same as the ipod I believe) it only reacts to a finger.
Be warned about screen protectors other than the one supplied. I tried one which was supposed to be for the Navigon and it looked great when on but completely rendered the touch screen unusable.

Navigon confirmed they only supply the adaptor for the country of sale. I think the slot on design is now just a standard as many gadgets I have brought (and it's a lot) all tend to have the same design power supply with interchangable plugs, but not everyone supply more than one plug.

Maybe you should mail Navigating.de about the size of Poiwarner selection screens as maybe the could increase the font size or something. Poiwarner doesn't appear to have been updated for a while so hopefully a update is coming soon to fix some bugs (maybe they were waiting on the new models to appear)
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such is progress Ray - I see in the accessories a 4-in-1 stylus pen, which you can write with as well as use it on the screen. Guess what - it's £19.99, instead of free - now that's a bargain for a pen Rolling Eyes They used to do a 4-pack which was still a few £s but not this expensive - I can't see them now.

I guess your best bet might be just to buy a cheap stylus, from Amazon for example. And try not to drop it in the car!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

I guess your best bet might be just to buy a cheap stylus, from Amazon for example. And try not to drop it in the car!

The 84xx series won't work with a stylus.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't make it too obvious do they Surprised ? An extra-touchy-feely screen too Rolling Eyes. Good job speedygonzalis hadn't rushed off with his £19.99!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think Navigon just refer to it having a 'mineral glass' touch screen or something like that.
It is a lot more responsive than the 83xx touch screen, you a light press is enough for it to work, sometimes a bit too responsive when you have been used to resistive screens for so long.

What's odd is the screen protector Navigon provide worked fine (but I managed to mess mine up somehow) so ordered a different one from Amazon and that just wouldn't let the touchscreen work at all Sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it doesn't work with a stylus (dry), perhaps that means that it relies on skin moisture to create some sort of effect it can detect (resistance or something?) to know where you have touched it. If that were the case, then maybe their protector is permeable in some way but the Amazon one isn't?

I've had a look at Zagg's website for their invisibleSHIELD - they don't mention the 84xx yet, but they do have an enquiry form for 'uncovered' devices. Their Q&A does say "The invisibleSHIELD™ does not alter the function or sensitivity of touch screens"

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: