Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcam database for 8410
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcam database for 8410
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get stuck feel free to PM me and I'll try to help.
I've not got around to putting POIWarner onto my new 8450 yet, I know I have to do something to transfer my license.

The instructions from Navigating.de aren't the best at all, but support are always quite helpful.
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers David
Backtracking to my requirements of euro / GB speedcam files here is what I have done:

1. Purchased 8410
2. Read up on this site. The "which database to load" page tells me to buy third party program (poiwarner) to continue. Done that
3. Registered product and updated firmware & some software (I think).
4. Authorised poiwarner through nav...de
5. Got totally confused as to how to find and load the correct PGPS site speedcan database.
6. Nearly loaded the poi database for cams until I got the "you need to spend more money" page.

I am a fully paid up member of this site (2 years) and have downloaded the speedcam updates to my now defunct chinese unit without issues.

Could you clarify which database from this site I should be heading for.

In the meantime I will try and work out what the monitor thing should be doing and how or where to use the cut / paste / manual entry. Could this be with the Synchronise program that is now on my laptop?

Thankyou again
Ray
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks also to jonandmarkuk for your help.
My problem is entering the speedcam database from this site - if I ever find it!

Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be pleased to know that loading PGPSW cameras is pretty straightforward. For convenience create a PC folder for the POIs you want. Then choose which camera database you want (speed-zoned, consolidated,...) and download it to that folder using the 'Other-ASC' format on the Download page.

When you connect your 8410 to the PC it should go into mass storage mode and bring up a couple of drives (E:, F:, or similar) where you can see the Navigon folders/files, as well as the POIWarner ones. All you have to do then is drag and drop the PGPSW .asc (cameras) and .bmp (icon) files you have downloaded, from your PC folder to the POIWarner POI folder on the 8410. When you disconnect the 8410 and let it go back to normal mode you should see on its screen some messages while the POIs are being converted to internal format. You then reboot the satnav, and everything should be ok for running (if not, have a look at the threads I mentioned about possible problems that can occur - but I hope you will be ok). You can then set up the warnings in POIWarner.

Good Luck!
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David
2nd attempt at this reply (tried posting and that was the end of the last 30 minutes work)

I've done as you instructed. I saw the popups after disconnection. Rebooted, checked the poiwarner page and saw:

overlays available = 29 + green tick
POI Monitored = 0 + red cross
POI Displayed = 403 + green tick

Checked in POI-Manager tab, POI Management and no sign of the pocketgpsworld entries.
I cannot find anywhere to turn them on. I checked onknown camera positions on the map and they are not displayed.

Any idea what I have missed.

Thankyou
Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

First of all, click on the green square and select 'Search in Radius - see if there is a camera file shown in the Overlay box. Click on the right hand side of the box and see if you get a list of your camera POI files. Select one, and check the circle next to 'All' - do you get a list of cameras? Try a few others.

Go into POI-Manager/POI Settings/Acoustic Alert - next to the POI box at the top there is a '+/-' box - click on that and you should get a list to 'Choose POIs to be monitored', check what you want.

Then have a look back in POI Management and see what you've got.

If you've still got nothing then the POIWarner might not have worked properly. This is mentioned in one of the threads and if you do still seem to have a problem, post back and we'll take it from there.

BTW, you won't see them on the map (thanks to Navigon being unhelpful with navigating.de) so there's nothing to worry about there. When you are driving they appear as a warning in a separate small display on the left hand side of the screen when you get within range (if warnings are set - POIWarner should set default valuess up for camera files). You will not see anything in your house because POIWarner needs its own GPS fix to work out distances - you can only see lists of POIs, such as with 'Search in Radius/All'
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David

thankyou again

I tried as your first paragraph suggests. The results:

Search in radius reveals a list of poiwarner entries. (many UK camera types / groups but no content)
Also showing in the drop down are a few random entries from poiwarner entered using sync. (wifi points, rc model shops etc)
There is still no sign of a pocketgpsworld entry. Do you know how it would look?
I've searched the forum (I'm hopeless at finding correct pages) but not found any entries for this problem. I downloaded, unzipped and then copy / paste to the navigon sd using the usb link (8410 showing graphic of 8410 and pc during connection. I downloaded the single (all cameras), database, not the grouped one.

Thankyou
Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

Hmm ... I would assume (but not sure) that the empty POIWarner camera groups are from when you were selecting and downloading POIWarner POIs and got the 'you need to pay' message for their cameras. Do the other, free ones, such as wifi, that you downloaded have individual POI entries in them, or are they empty as well? When the messages were flashing up on the 8410 after you disconnected from the PC did you spot the PGPSW file among the titles?

The PGPSW file should show up under the file title it had when you loaded it; if you didn't change the name that would be the PGPSW title (eg one of my zoned files has the original "pocketgps_uk_50" title). I assume you did the download from here in 'Other-ASC' format of course!

I take it the file didn't show up in the 'Choose POIs to be monitored' list I mentioned? If it IS there but hasn't been checked for monitoring, it wouldn't show up elsewhere until it has been selected. Also have a look at the 'Overlay Management' screen to see if it appears as one of your 29 overlays. It certainly doesn't look as if you are monitoring the entries themselves (assuming they HAVE loaded of course!) as the "POI Displayed" figure should then show a count in the 1,000s with all the individual cameras.

If it isn't in the list, reconnect the 8410 to the PC, and see if the PGPSW all-camera data file you loaded shows up in the POIWarner folder, with a '.bak' extension.

Let us know how you are getting on.

While you are trying to get it to work, drop a line to navigating.de through their support page Q&A section to confirm that they HAVE got it working on the new devices. When I asked a while back they hadn't tested it - I would hope it works as the Navigon software is still MN7 on the 8410/8450 I think, but Navigon did tell me a couple of days ago that the hardware is different from the older models such as mine. navigating.de usually reply in a couple of days, so then at least you'll know you're not wasting your time. (But if wifi for example seems to have loaded properly I would have thought it should be ok).
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you don't mind me replying in the forum - I feel it's better to have the problems/questions where other people can refer to later if they get similar issues.

To download a different camera format, select the 'Satnav System - Select from Below', and choose Other-ASC' again. You should then get the list of camera files to choose from.

I'll get back to you on the others later - I'm rushing off somewhere to enjoy myself. Can you say what the situation is with the other points I mentioned? Depending on what you say, it may be that the download hasn't worked properly and needs to be repeated. There are a couple of posts in the POIWarner threads covering how you would need to do this. If you can't find it, I'll look later (it's advice from navigating.de which is enclosed in a Quote box in the post, so might be a bit easier to spot if you look through).

Cheers
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, I found that the supplied sync software can sometimes decide to remove manually added POI's from the file.
It never used to do it and don't know why it started to happen, so you may find that if you run the Sync software after it will remove the PGPSW speed camera files.
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
Do we know if anyone has sucessfully loaded the pocketgpsworld files on an 84xx unit? Maybe I am trying to do the impossible!
It's got to be easier to find water on the moon than find "other-asc" files on my 8410......
Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

Just a few more points from your email:

- as you have .bak files on the card, that should mean they were loaded and converted (not necessarily successfully!). POIWarner just renames the .asc POI files you put on the card to .bak, but they are still your same input files. The converted data is stored elsewhere for POIWarner's operational use;

- I guess the other files you mentioned that were loaded (from POIWarner's partners poihandler.com or pocketnavigation.de?) with the 'sync' process were converted and stored straight into POIWarner's operational data area, and so don't go through your folder where your PGPSW input files are;

- you haven't said, but if you have checked the things that have been suggested and then checked your overlays, then IF you DO have a PGPSW file, and IF it's empty with no individual camera entries, then you may have had a corrupt conversion (why and when this happens I can't work out, it seems a bit random). If so, then you might want to try this advice from navigating.de from the quite useful thread "POI-Warner help please?":
Quote:
something has gone wrong with overlays during the update. Please connect your sat nav to the computer and search for the POI-Warner directory. Delete the files "overlays.ndb", "settings.ndb" and "poidetails.ndb" (if present) from that directory.
Also delete these files from C:\Program Files\POI-Warner. Then please perform a soft-reset and reinstall all the overlays.

Hope this covers most things so far.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedygonzalis wrote:
Hello,
Do we know if anyone has sucessfully loaded the pocketgpsworld files on an 84xx unit? Maybe I am trying to do the impossible!
It's got to be easier to find water on the moon than find "other-asc" files on my 8410......
Ray

Not tried on my 8450 yet, but I notice on the German forums that the current version of PoiWarner appears to work fine.
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to sort things out. I've got a poor internet connection for the next few days (changed apt ) until arriving home at weekend.
On a sidenote, while navigating along a relatively new road (not on navigon, was on cheap chinese pna), the map froze until I pressed the reset button 20 minutes later when I arrived at destination. The data displays continued to work but when a motorway sign appeared on screen, it remained there until the reset.
I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
Approx 300km to travel tomorrow so we will see.

Ray
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedygonzalis wrote:

On a sidenote, while navigating along a relatively new road (not on navigon, was on cheap chinese pna), the map froze until I pressed the reset button 20 minutes later when I arrived at destination. The data displays continued to work but when a motorway sign appeared on screen, it remained there until the reset.
I hope this is not a sign of things to come.
Approx 300km to travel tomorrow so we will see.

Ray

My 8310 was always reliable, if there is bugs with the latest model I'm sure Navigon will soon sort them out. Best to drop support a e-mail just to let them know the issue you had. If people don't report bugs, they can't be fixed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: