Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcam database for 8410
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcam database for 8410
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Speedcam database for 8410 Reply with quote

Hello all

My igo device storage card went belly up after an airport scan. Nothing recoverable, so I have bought an 8410 and registered / updated it as instructed.
From searching this site I see that special software may need installing that may allow pocketgpsworld speedcam database to be installed. Could anyone enlighten me on the way forward.

Thankyou
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a Navigon expert but I think you need POIWarner.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poiwarner is what you need.
Some bugs with the latest version at the moment, but it's just a additional program that loads in the background and alerts to the cameras.
The best thing about it is you can give it custom warning WAV files if you wish. i.e instead of the standard warning, get it to tell you what the speed of the camera is.
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the replies

i have taken a look at the suggested link and I'm confused as to which version I would need to use. Also, I noticed that the cost seems to be higher than the navigon price for the updatable speedcam database.
If I understand correctly I will need to buy n download the correct version of the poiwarner software then HOPE this works with the Navigon 8410 and the pocketgpsworld database. (I got this info from the "which speedcam file to download" page on this site.)
Could someone point me in the right direction!!

Thankyou
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just currently setting up my 8450. From what I can remember you can download the application without having to pay and install it. It will need activating before it will work though.
However that should then allow you to see which version you need to download, if you have any doubts just drop them an e-mail and they will advise you.

The main difference is that the Navigon speed cam data tends to be fixed cameras only (this may change with the LIVE services but not sure).
However POIwarner allows you to add in the mobile cameras and any other POI data files you want, such as camp sites or other POI's which may not be part of the main Navigon POI database.
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou for the info
Presumably your 8450 is the upmarket 8410 so would use the same poiwarner software?
Could you advise me on which version you downloaded. I'm on holiday 2000 miles from home with limited internet access and I would prefer not to waste internet access cost on wrong downloads.
If it is free to download but cannot be used until activated / paid for, how will I know if I have the right version?
Sorry about the extra questions but I'm new to Navigon having used a good chinese unit up till this week.
I will try to contact poiwarner for advice but this community has always been at the top with regards solutions...

Thankyou
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 8450 is the same unit as the 8410, it just comes with the LIVE services as part of the package.
I haven't had chance to look at poiwarner yet, but will do hopefully tommorow.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not had chance to actually download it and install, but checking the website today this is the version you need to download

http://www.navigating.de/poiwarnermn7/setup_arm_ts.exe

https://sslsites.de/pocketgps.de/secure_order/shop/Bestellen_Step1.php?pid=173&lan=en first option on the page.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the Navigon fixed cameras, you may well know but just in case, the 1.1.09 database is free to download from your registration (log-in) page; it is the updates which cost money. So if you go to Europe they are almost certainly worth loading. I'll be interested to see if they release a free 1.1.10 version in the New Year.

(I had a problem downloading them and navigating.de sent me the file, just in case anyone finds they DO get a problem with this)
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello David
I have been to the fresh page, logged in and had a look at what is available for me. Only Q3 maps and Q4 maps available. (The site tells me that I already have Q3 installed!
Tried Q4 but at nearly 4Gb it would take me 61 hours to download. (I'll wait till I get home for that one!)
Navigating to the speedcam file (could not find the version number), I have to select and enter in to shopping basket and pay £25 to download!
There are however free downloads for ALKO shops and camping sites etc...

Regards
Ray
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

Once you have registered, then if you go to the 'Profile-Log-In' page of the navigating.de website (where they list the QuickStart and Full Guides, you should also see a line saying
Quote:
Install fixed speedcams (Date of data: 01.01.2009) Installation fixed speedcam-data
This is free to download by clicking on "Installation fixed speedcam-data" - at least it was for me. As I understand it, the £25 is to get periodic updates to that database (and possibly, though I haven't checked, includes non-fixed cameras as well). As I said, I had a problem with this link, and N.de quickly emailed me the file to load.

Interested in Q4 being available - wasn't a week ago! Hope it doesn't take me 61 hours!

EDIT - done the Q4. Two words of warning:

(1) the installation (3rd) phase has an annoying habit of failing right at the end sometimes, with a 'unable to access archive' type of message. I think this is some sort of timing error. DO NOT exit Fresh, but select 'next' again from the download dialogue box, which will then repeat the installation phase, and usually works ok (for me);

(2) The start or restart of the download operation often gives the impression of hanging, sometimes with the MS 'not responding' message. Don't be tempted to abort - go and make a cup of tea instead! Once it's carried out a full examination of its navel it will spring into life. Cool

Cheers, David
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry speedygonzalis - I've just realised I've been a bit misleading. I mentioned Navigon free cameras when I meant navigating.de ones. So I was talking about N.de's log-in page NOT Navigon Fresh. Sorry about that if it confused you!
speedygonzalis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK chaps
I have registered / paid / activated poiwarner (poihandler) through nav....de site and I'm thorughly confused now.
Using thair sync page I see aircon on the right. I drop down to uk speedcams, select all, try and sync and get a message saying it is not free. (I have paid to nav....de)
Am I trying to download the wrong database?
Do I use Fresh?
Do I use Sync from nav...de that is now loaded on the laptop?

When I start the 8410 I now get a poiwarner message box showing monitoring activated. There is a green (was red) button in the right bottom corner.
Currently showing Overlays Available = 24 with a tick
POI monitored = 0 with a red cross
POI Displayed = 0 with a red cross

When looking at the map (known uk speedcam positions, they do not appear.
What have I done wrong?

Thankyou
Ray
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer to what bigperk mentioned earlier in the post about the download file.

I just loaded PGPSW speed cam POI's into my copy on the 8310.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not alone in being confused with POIWarner - everyone has been, except of course jonandmarkuk and me (believe that? Rolling Eyes Confused ). My first bit of advice is to read through the POIWarner threads when you have time (there are several) to see what problems have been encountered, which you may well come across - you will see that some of your questions appear there, and a LOT of other useful info. It is a fairly effective bit of software, but FIDDLY Evil or Very Mad

More immediate advice is

- N.de POIs (and their associate POI suppliers) USE Sync
- Navigon POIs USE Fresh
- other POIs (such as PGPSW[this site]) USE manual OS File Copy option

There is no overlap - they are completely separate processes.

If you have only paid for POIWarner, this does not include ANY chargeable POIs; if you have paid a specific subscription for one of the camera databases from one of their two associate POI suppliers, this can take a little while before it is processed, so you may get the 'needs payment' message; If you have paid for this site's cameras, loading that is a (simple) MANUAL process (ie using File Copy, as mentioned above) to load - see user guide; if you've paid for Navigon's cameras, you use Fresh.

With POI monitored/displayed counts set to 0 you won't get anything - [note from one of the POIWarner threads]:
Quote:
Monitored overlays will give you an acoustic warning, Displayed ones will be shown on the 3D map representation when approaching. You can set up any overlay for monitoring, display or both.
You need to set up roughly as follows (I can never remember exactly and have to go through things again when I hit a problem Twisted Evil ):

Monitored - go into POI-Manager/POISettings and set acoustic warnings you want (of which there are quite a few!)

Displayed - go into POI-Manager/Overlay Settings and check POI categories to be displayed

You should then get non-zero counts and start seeing/hearing something on your 8410.

Hope this helps. See how you get on, and keep asking about any problems and you'll get the answers! (hopefully) Razz .

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: