Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left mine running and it is still going fine from 8:30, let's see if there are any problems this evening.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine on the way home as well, you could almost set your watch by the 3 minute interval updates. It seemed to take a couple of minutes to get the initial download, but after that it was fine.
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swash wrote:
Don't think mine is updating fully this morning, I actually get the impression that the number of incidents on Browse Map is being updated, but the blue bar showing the delays on my route on the main screen does not always seem to update.

As I say though, the device is definitely receiving updates, as I have watched the incidents on Browse Map increase steadily from 991 to 1432 in the last 30 minutes or so.

I've had occasionally noticed that the blue bar doesn't show any information other than the total delay at the top. Looking at "Show traffic on route" I've found several entries for the same problem, all showing differing delays so it is updating okay, but looks as though the old traffic information is not clearing properly.
Resetting the unit made no difference nor did replanning the route.

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well (touch wood !!) it looks like the updating is now working OK for me. Driving home last night up teh M1 I was slighlty concerned that there was no traffice showinbg but I think this was due to teh fact that there were no delays !!!
Today driving into Birmingham during rush hour my Tomtom was updating regualry with new traffic info coming down all the time.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was working fine again this morning.

I have a 500ish mile round trip tomorrow that will encompass both rush hours and Rossendale - Stansted so it will be a good test.

If all is Ok tomorrow I will ask TT to close my ticket as resolved as they are currently keeping it open for feedback purposes.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was updating fine again and plenty of detail so as far as I am concerned it is working.

Off to close my ticket with TT.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad its all working good for you!

Mine is working fine also, and the extra detail is impressive!

iPhone 12
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've held off commenting since the service was fixed to give it time to settle down again.

Have to say though, has been working without any noticeable problems in and around Edinburgh, Glasgow and Dundee at the problamatic times.

Fixed just in time for their new advertising campain thats been on radio recently!

Thumbs now moved back to up!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you updated your sig as well Laughing Out Loud
Matt865
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is updating at the moment, but I'm sure the detail isn't there:

22:08 - 93 Incidents
22:12 - 96 Incidents
22:16 - 95 Incidents

etc. Been the same for much of the evening.
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same stretch of road on the A660 closed again this evening, and perfectly reported, matches the traffic report on various websites.

3 crashes in seven days, that road is becoming a death trap! How long before the dreaded cameras I wonder?
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

On the assumption that this problem is now resolved, do we know what TT actually did to fix it? Perhaps all they did was reboot the server? In all seriousness, perhaps that's all they *do* need to do - but on a regular basis (eg 3am every Sunday).

--

Cheers

Dave
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaz666 wrote:
Same stretch of road on the A660 closed again this evening, and perfectly reported, matches the traffic report on various websites.

Same with the A90 Southbound yesterday evening after an accident.
Was even showing the holdups on the B907/B979 (yes B-Class) that was being used as the diversion route.

DaveMatthews wrote:

On the assumption that this problem is now resolved, do we know what TT actually did to fix it? Perhaps all they did was reboot the server? In all seriousness, perhaps that's all they *do* need to do - but on a regular basis (eg 3am every Sunday).

I'm sure I read somewhere (on here) it was a bandwidth capacity issue which has now been increased. Couldn't say for sure however.

I'd imagine there has been over double the amount of demand for bandwidth since the public launch of the live services around a year ago.
There are posts on here describing how there were large parts of the country that had no coverage on launch, now coverage has improved to the extent that there are remote parts of the highlands that are covered. That combined with the extra detail seen recently, I wouldn't be surprise if it were a bandwidth issue.

Do they reboot at obscure times? No idea, however there have been times where I've switched on and the device has connected to the network, but not connect to TomTom for a few min, even after reboot. Usually fine after 5min. Have also seen it connect, show as up-to-date but there be 0/0 incidents showing. Only to update 5min or so later to 0/70 etc.

The workings of TomTom HD traffic shall forever remain a mystery no doubt!

There seems to be far more road closures and roadworks displayed recently too. Even a set of off-peak roadworks in Dundee are displayed correctly timed. Ok they've [Tomtom] got them in the wrong place but there still at least in the same area... Laughing
Also now pointing out the roadworks in and around Edinburgh (the lovely Trams-havoc!) which have been ongoing for what feels like for ever.

Things are looking much better than it did 6 months ago.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Graeme. If bandwidth *was* the problem, then the key to all this is the planning, acquisition and monitoring of capacity - ie making sure that you're keeping tabs on how many Live units you are selling and therefore correctly anticipating and preparing for the level of demand for the service. Clearly TomTom failed to do any of this. It should not have taken umpteen customers contacting their (bl**dy useless, anyway) Customer Service department to spur them into action. Indeed it looks as though it actually took beta testers such as falkirk81 contacting the techies directly before anything was done about it.

On the assumption that Xmas will see a jump in sales, let's hope we don't start seeing the same problems in January.

--

Cheers,

Dave
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
....It should not have taken umpteen customers contacting their (bl**dy useless, anyway) Customer Service department to spur them into action.....

I'd like to hope Tom tom were aware of the impending issue and were simply being reactive rather than pro-active about this. The fact we know almost nothing about how the system works leaves us with not much more than speculation.
I don't for one second believe they couldn't see this coming if it were a bandwidth issue (speculation of course). I'm sure they've shifted a fair few LIVE units now and more demand requires more supply. Even *I* can figure that out. Perhaps upgrading the network or applying the fixes that were required cost Tomtom money and time, so why spend money to fix something if it's not yet being reported as broke? (From a Finance angle of course)

On a positive note from the failures, lets hope they were able to use them to collate more information on the systems capacity, load to failures, and various other diagnostic tests whist the system was live and they can use this to further develop what is a fantastic service when working.

We can live in hope

Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: