Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no response from TT and my ticket number seems to have changed to HDI-104 ??????
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They changed the subject of my Ticket a few days ago. No idea why.

Raised the issue on the 17th Nov, was last updated with "We've sent it to our 2nd line but have no solution to this challenge for you at this time" automated reply on the 23rd Nov and that's the last I've heard from them.

They have until Tuesday 1st Dec, as advised to give me some sort of feedback (note: I have received NO feedback, not even an acknowledgment of the fault from them) otherwise I will collate all of the communications between them and myself, along with other publicly accessible information that substantiates this lack of service that they appear to be quite content to ignore and continue to charge me for and seeking advise from Trading standards.

If you bought a car and it broke down and were told it's broke by the garage, and they don't know whats broke, or how it's broke, or when it'll be fixed, or if it'll be fixed (actually it's fixed, but only some of the time. Just at the times you needed it most), BUT were still going to be charged you for the car....I'm sure you wouldn't just say, oh, ok then!

I suspect they will not acknowledge the fault otherwise this would admit liability for the fault opening the gates for a demand for refunds of the live subscriptions. I bet that's what their trained to deliver on day 1 of CSA training. "It's never our fault"

Lets not forget there poor excuse for a "New" Map
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174

Last edited by Graeme2812 on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a current Tomtom Beta tester, I have made my contacts aware of the issue and it IS being looked at!

That may explain why the incident numbers have changed!

Lets hope it gets fixed soon!

iPhone 12
jpg1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely TomTom should just revert back to the previous setup on a short term basis (where the number of incidents / traffic sensitivity) was much lower - and then start increasing it piecemeal, solving the issues they face along the way?

Then, after a while, they will have learned about the issues they face as they increase the data volume / network traffic without annoying the pants off all their users. Most people thought HD Traffic was fine (if not pretty good, the road closure issues aside) beforehand, so "if it aint broke, don't fix it". And if you ARE going to fix it, make small steps so you can learn along the way. There must be so many possible reasons (many inter-related) as to why these problems are occurring with the new data volumes that the support team / developers probably don't know where to start...

They need a bit of change management training!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody is going to go to Watchdog, or Trading Standards, the simple demonstration is to take TWO devices along and side by side force one to reboot/synch and let the other sit untouched. If what you're all saying is correct, the booted one will show differences over a long period of time whilst the untouched one remains unchanged. Sadly, I have only one Live device or I'd do it myself - I don't suppose RDS-TMC on a 520 alongside the XL Live is a proper comparison?

My problem with contributing here is that I rarely get work until after the morning rush hour, so I don't get the impression of no updates - I did early on have the no updates "challenge" a couple of times when I had deliveries into London for ungodly early times which left me floundering without HD traffic, but it's only been a couple of times so I'm not much of a witness.

What I find very annoying is it always says "Up to date" whereas other systems say "Last update x minutes ago".

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed something slightly different this morning.

Programmed in my route and was told an 11 minute delay(set preferences to never re route me just for a test), checked an incident on Browse Map which was 1/279 with a 16 minute delay.

Waited 10 minutes (sat outside my house) no changes on the blue bar still an 11 minute delay. Checked Browse Map and the same incident I checked before was now 1/344 with a 9 minute delay, and when I went back to the main screen the blue bar had updated to report a reduced delay on my route.

Seems as if selecting an incident in Browse Map forced an update, all of which is absolutely useles when you are hacking round the motorway at 70MPH and would rather not end up buried in the central reservation whilst trying to fiddle with your Sat Nav Rolling Eyes
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally this is the response I have had, so the issue may have been fixed. I will test later.

Quote:
I have heard from our 2nd line department who have informed me that the high load error on our Server should have been resolved today. Can you please test this for me and let me know if you are still experiencing the same problems and, if so, as frequently?

Our 2nd line team will wish to hear your feedback so I will be forwarding your updates directly to them.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope they have fixed it, my Friday evening rush hour journey round the M25 should make for a good test Smile
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am connected to Vodaphone at the moment (15:15) but cannot connect to any TTServers.

15:18 can get weather but no traffic info.

16:00 connected to traffic which is unusual for a Friday evening, lets see if it updates.

17:00 and it has been updating correctly for an hour - looking better.

18:30 and still updating - impressed if this continues but I have better things to do on a Friday night than watch traffic on a TT.

Last edited by MrT on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off home now - will post back later to see how it updates.

Looking good though - that was a pretty quick turnaround for TT if it is 100% rectified.
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undoubtedly there is a contract taken out when you subscribe to 12 months service. (I dont use live services, he he)

Have you read it?

I bet in the small print it says that service is not guaranteed.

This is normal for mobile phones so I don’t see why TT would be different.

This would make it very hard for trading standards to take any action.

The best way to get things changed is to generate publicity. Try you regional paper first a lot of national papers trawl the regional papers for good new stories. Regional as local papers are only really interested in things local.

Watchdog would work even ifs its only on one show as it gets national coverage however they will give TT a change to respond and if they have a good story or presenter its possible to wriggle out of the problem. Ie We are sorry but due to the success of the live services a few customers may experience the odd failed update but the majority etc etc.
[/quote]
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to test some more but I think my tomtom was updating on teh way home from London tonight.
I did get a response from 2nd level who asked me to follow some specic instructions involving error checking and clearing teh flash files so not sure if that is what caused it to work.
As I said I need to test it a bit more.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with clearflash or checking files.

The problem was at TTs end - it appears to be updating fine at rush hour this evening.

All of these screenshots were taken without any reboots - as you can see the incidents are updating every couple of minutes.

Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

07:10-08:10 Friday 27th November.
Switched on device and had 52 incidents. Sometime between 07:10 and 08:10 it updated at least twice. 58 incidents when I switched off at 08:10. Sadly, I didn't have a chance to check again during the morning.

Daytime (apx 13:00) Friday 27th November
Slow traffic on the M80 J4 southbound due to roadworks (SPECS set to 40mph from 70mph) reported at the exact location. Appeared to update regularly.

Heavy traffic in Glasgow on M8 and surrounding areas after an acident eastbound. Updated every 3min. Could almost set your watch it it. Reported the accident 1) correctly 2) in the correct location. Duration and length of congestion westbound was excellent. length of congestion eastbound towards the accident look very good also.

16:00-19:00 Friday 27th November
Device was updating every 3 min again. Didn't have to reboot once. I wasn't driving so I had the chance to pay a little more attention.

Stationary traffic westbound on the M8 at around 16:30 for about 10 miles was reported. Can't say for sure how accutate the passing through time was as we were heading easbound, but the position and distance of the delay looked verygood.

Slow traffic at the A8000/M9 turn off for the Forth RB was being reported perfectly. Same with the length and description (stationary traffic) of traffic joining the M9 from the A8000.

Slow traffic again once at the Forth RB and the A90/A8000 intersection. Reporting slow traffic which was perfectly well described. So too was the length of the slow traffic.

From the bridge and beyond back to Dundee was clear, so nothing else to report.

Just saw on the online route planner that there is an accident westbound on the A8 towards newbridge. Not only is it reporting the accident (in Grey) it's also reporting the estimated passing through time. Never seen this before. Usually it's only just "Accident for XX miles"

Still showing the great level of detail it has been over the last few days. Congestion on slip roads, roundabouts, traffic lights etc.

For me, whatever they've done it looks like it's worked today.
It did have a couple of wobbles (yellow triangle), but sorted itself out after the next refresh. Also my poor little 540 took it's time to actually load the data onto the screen after it had been "updated". An extra minute or so. Could the increase in performance be due to the new maps, in particular the IQ routes data? Improved data would require less "congestion" markers (and bandwidth) on the maps etc?

Thumbs have moved from down, to horizontal. Not yet up!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingfuzz wrote:
Undoubtedly there is a contract taken out when you subscribe to 12 months service.

I may be wrong, but at no point do I recall seeing any contract. I am paying monthly.

Regardless of contract, you cannot advertise something as 'real-time' and 'updates every 3 minutes' if it does not update at all for 2 weeks.

Anyway, looks like it is all irrelevant as TT seem to have fixed the issue. Monday morning rush hour will tell for sure but I see no reason why there should be a problem as it has been fine during rush hour this evening, and the detail and accuracy are back instead of no updates and out of date traffic incidents.

I give TT a hard time in these forums when they mess up, but for once they seem to have got their finger out and fixed an issue very quickly. So, credit where credit is due.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: