Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Aldi package and activesync problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Aldi package and activesync problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Aldi package and activesync problems Reply with quote

The PPC250 works superbly in all but one very important way. I cannot connect to either of my PC's. Desktop running winXP pro and a laptop running winXP home. All seems fine, usb connection bleeps, the 250 says it is making a connection then says not connected while the PC runs the activesync page saying connecting. Under tools, options the use this pc panel is empty.

Help, please! Sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Medion machines do seem to have more than their fair share of problems with ActiveSync - though, to be fair to Medion, ActiveSync problems can affect any brand.

Let's try some very simple steps first:

Try soft resetting the Pocket PC and try synchronising again - there should be a reset button you can press somewhere, which is the equivalent of rebooting a PC if you don't press any other buttons at the time. Try again.

If that doesn't help, reboot the PC and soft reset the Pocket PC - then try again.

If that still doesn't help and you'd previously got as far as trying to build a partnership, reboot the PC, soft reset the Pocket PC, open ActiveSync and use File -> Delete Partnership, then try again to build a new partnership.

If you've still got no luck, it's time to try some more radical steps.

All uninstallation, installation, "Detect and Repair" and "Office Update" steps should be carried out as an Administrator on Windows 2000 or XP - that applies equally to ActiveSync as to Office and/or Outlook. You will need your original installation sources for Office, Outlook and all Office components installed for most of these steps - usually the CD-ROM(s) in a non-corporate environment.

After installing, uninstalling or upgrading any part of Office, especially Outlook, you may have to either reinstall ActiveSync, or even uninstall ActiveSync, reboot the PC and reinstall ActiveSync.

If you did not have Outlook 2000 or later installed when you installed ActiveSync, uninstall ActiveSync, then install at least Outlook 2000. If you don't own a copy of Office 2000 or higher, or Outlook 2000 or higher, there should be a copy of Outlook on one of the CDs you received with your Pocket PC - most likely Outlook 2002, the version of Outlook from Office XP. The product code for that copy of Outlook should be somewhere inside your Pocket PC's box. Be aware that Outlook 2002 and 2003 both use Product Activation.

Especially if you've only just installed Outlook, it's important to make sure you install all the various updates for Office/Outlook, though this is recommended anyway. Go to http://office.microsoft.com/officeupdate/default.aspx and click the "Check for Updates" link. Follow the process through, and keep doing this until you are told all your products are up to date. It can take two or three runs to get things going.

If all your Office products were up to date in Office Update, try a "Detect and Repair" inside Outlook - it's on the Help menu.

Reinstall ActiveSync if you uninstalled it. Reboot the PC. If ActiveSync still doesn't work, reinstall ActiveSync. If that doesn't help, uninstall ActiveSync, reboot, and reinstall ActiveSync.

When installing ActiveSync, version 3.7 is arguably better than 3.7.1 - I don't know what version is on the Medion CD. There is one potential problem in using a non-Medion version of ActiveSync - it may lack the necessary USB drivers for a Medion Pocket PC. I'm afraid I don't know whether or not this is the case, as my only experience is with iPAQs.

Do make sure before trying to synchronise that you've run Outlook for the first time as the user you're attempting to synchronise logged on as. ActiveSync will probably work in some limited capacity without Outlook, but most people's aim is to synchronise Outlook with their Pocket PC, so it's best to get things working that way.

If this lot still doesn't get you going, it's possibly a case of looking through the ActiveSync log files to try to figure out what is or isn't happening and/or rebuilding your .pst file in Outlook - but hopefully it doesn't come to either of these. Hopefully at worst a soft reset of the Pocket PC and rebooting the PC will help.

David
sarma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your extremely detailed account of sorting out activesync, sadly…..

I have tried both soft and hard reset. Both my PC’s run office xp, so I deleted office from my laptop and installed the edition of Outlook supplied by Medion, reset both PC and Pocket PC, no luck. Imported version 3.7, again no luck,, Medion supply 3.7.1. So far I have not established a partnership!

The odd thing is that after installing activesync, both machines appear to be establishing contact, they bleep nicely, the screen on the PC changes, begin to connect then stop. The Medion says that the user is authenticated, starts connecting then switches to ‘not connected’.

Harry
sarma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have investigated the only log file i could find, wcesetup.log. The only failures I saw were when older files than exisiting were being installed.

InkForm.exe - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
InkProps.dll - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
VoiceBar.dll - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
VoiceFrm.exe - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
inkeng.dll - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
inkform.src - replaced
inkres.dll - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
inkx.dll - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
vnotel.ico - replaced
vnotes.ico - replaced
voicefrm.src - replaced
Copying self-reg files to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\NoteSync Forms
VCOMCtl.dll - WARNING: not copied (old ver = 3.7.1.4034, source ver = 3.7.1.3244)
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The log file you're looking for is wcesmgr.log, which you'll find in your Temp directory.

Under Windows XP, and, I believe, Windows 2000, the default location is C:\Documents and Settings\\Local Settings\Temp - by default, Local Settings is a hidden folder, so you'll have to change the options to allow the display of hidden folders, or key in the location yourself.

The easiest way, however, is to key %TEMP% into the Address line of a Windows Explorer window and press Enter.

David
sarma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right found it, thanks. I must confess I do not understand it but here it is if you can decipher it! It does seem to be important though.

2004-05-16 14:51:13 0000078C -

**** ActiveSync (3.7.3244 RETAIL) started, Cmd line: ''
2004-05-16 14:51:13 00000104 - ERROR returned in function CMainFrmWnd::ReadWindowPlacement. hr: 0x80070002
2004-05-16 14:51:20 0000078C - **** ActiveSync exiting

Does it mean anything to you?

Harry
mastertek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with the ppc200.However I asked Medion about the problem in December/January of this year. They simply said send it back for exchange. trouble is it took 8 weeks to be fixed. When I got it back it was still faulty. 4 more months of arguing and last Wednesday some Techie at Medion said that they are only designed to work with Outlook 2002 that comes on the CD. had mine exchanged and loaded 2002 outlook and now works fine. try it.
sarma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I tried that on my laptop, uninstalled office XP, loaded the Medion outlook. Error message in wcesmgr.log is identical on both my pc's, one with office xp one with outlook 2002. Incidentally office XP says that it is 2002.
kmillard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have the same bundle and did have some problems setting up a partnership. I managed to track the problem down to Zone Alarm. Once disabled I had no problems syncing at all.
sarma
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!! I tried this on my laptop which has the Medion version of Outlook on it and it works perfectly. Well done. I have yet to work out how to do it on my desktop which has outlook from Office XP. I took off Zonelabs but it did not cure the problem. If I put 2002 Outlook on my desktop after 50 operations it will not work because I cannot activate it on 2 computers. Ah well!

I think the PPS250 is a great piece of kit, love the GPS function. Next job is to instal speed cameras.

Once again great job, thanks for your help.

Harry

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: