Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 crashing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 crashing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: 540 crashing Reply with quote

Yesterday, halfway through a phone call my 540 crashed and kept repeating the last word spoken over and over. It's done this a couple of times in the past but after a reset it's been ok. This time something has gone wrong, it now crashes every time it's switched on (hangs at the splash screen then turns off, drum roll and back on), crashes again when I attach it to the mount and then again when I plan a route!
I have a recent windows explorer back up, will this be my best option or does anyone else have any other ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that you have a full backup, you can use that by all means.

But a quicker thing to try before that is to reinstall JUST the operating software.

Do that by deleting JUST the "loose" files on the TomTom (i.e. the ones that are not in any folder, LEAVE THE FOLDERS ALONE), then connect to Home and select "Update".

However, first you should try a reset (if you haven't already). Hold the power switch down for about 20 seconds.
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

But a quicker thing to try before that is to reinstall JUST the operating software.

Do that by deleting JUST the "loose" files on the TomTom (i.e. the ones that are not in any folder, LEAVE THE FOLDERS ALONE), then connect to Home and select "Update".

Hi Andy, I've done as you suggested and it's certainly starting ok now so it's looking good thanks.

Another question if I may? My first couple of explorer back up's were made without "hidden folders" showing are these worth keeping or should I just delete them?

Thanks again

{Mod edit to sort out quote}

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have show hidden folders set now can you see the hidden ones in your backups? The folder icons should appear as a shaded when compared to the others. Just had a look at some of my TT backups and I don't see any and show hidden files has always been set on my computer, so I don't know if any really exist anyway, perhaps the real experts can help?

Always remember something maybe better than nothing if you really need it.
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, thanks for the advice, no further crashes. I have though, lost all my map correction. Is it possible to restore these from a back up and if so do you know what folder they are stored in?
Thanks again.

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

User map corrections seem to be stored in the root (top) directory in a file called UserPatch.dat.

There is also a file in the map directory related to user map corrections called MapUserPatch.dat but this does not seem to have the corrections in it, so I am not really sure of its purpose.
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
User map corrections seem to be stored in the root (top) directory in a file called UserPatch.dat.

There is also a file in the map directory related to user map corrections called MapUserPatch.dat but this does not seem to have the corrections in it, so I am not really sure of its purpose.

Hi MrT, I copied the UserPatch.dat. file over from a back up about 20 minutes ago (the old one was larger) but this hasn't made any difference. I'll try the MapUserPatch.dat later and see if having them both helps.

Thanks

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
ratman633
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update for those interested.

Map corrections are back and appear to be working okay.
I opened the map folder and filtered the contents to show only those files modified on the date I reinstalled the operating software, the results were:

MapServerPatch.dat
MapUserPatch.dat
PatchFilter.dat
ServerLineIndex.dat
ServerNameIndex.dat

I renamed the above and copied old ones across from a back up. (I know I should have done them one at a time but I was getting a touch fed up with it all)
First time I connected it to Home it said my Map share was over 20 weeks out of date. Updated map share, it went okay. Disconnected then connected again home then said Map share was up to date.

I'll leave it a couple of days, and if all okay I'll make another back up.

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions.

TomTom 540
v9.510
Map v905.4754
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
Just had a look at some of my TT backups and I don't see any and show hidden files has always been set on my computer, so I don't know if any really exist anyway, perhaps the real experts can help?

I've never seen a "hidden" folder on any TomTom I've owned.
Ratman- glad it seems to have all worked OK for you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: