Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TT GO 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TT GO 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: New TT GO 520 Reply with quote

TT have just emailed me to say the map update service for my current 510 has now expired Crying or Very sad (although the 510 is still alive and well Smile ). Thinking it might be a prudent move not to extend the service for another year and remembering some advice from Mike a couple of weeks or so ago about new 520's still being available from CPC.Farnell I have ordered one.

This should have the LMG because its new, so I should get one more update. My only concern is that many batteries upon 520 devices in use are expiring now, what would those with the relevant technical knowledge think about battery condition upon unused but obviously older devices Question
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unused battery sat in a device for a couple of years will degrade by a very small ammount, to be honest I wouldn't bother about that at all - by the way how much was the 520 as Halfords have an online special offer that comes with LMG etc see Here - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At CPC the 520 is £124.95 whilst CPC don't specifically say it has LMG the TT site says it applies to all new devices and CPC says it is a new device so it should get LMG, it will not be such a good buy if it doesnt, in fact it will be a bit of a lemon. I assumed from your earlier comments a few weeks ago it would have LMG for the reason I have already stated.

I would have gone for the Halfords one if it could be collected from store, but when you progress beyond the first screen, toward collection and delivery the collection one is not available, so presumably they have obtained some central stock from somewhere.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CPC advert does state "New" so it has to have the LMG option when you first use the device, just make sure you make a full Windows Explorer backup BEFORE doing anything else to it. Next update the application to 8,351 which is currently the latest, make sure this is on the device BEFORE you use the LMG option, finally when it its running Navcore 8,351 and map version 835 make another full Windows Explorer backup of the unit - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice Mike, I am very much a committed backup man. When I think of all the time that was spent doing backups when I was an IT manager I can perhaps understand why some people may not bother. But when I think of the chaos that would have occurred if we did not have backups for the once in a blue moon time we needed them I never doubt their value.

Until you need them you may not realise how important they are.
flyingfuzz
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful if you use TMC with the round connector as the screen will flash every 10-15 seconds using 8.351
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new 520 arrived today as a once upon a time production engineer (Before IT) I am impressed by the quality of everything including the box and the manuals. The maps seem to have a date of 27/12/2007 the app is 7.221 and the map 715.1703 so everything is nearly two years old where have they been all this time?

Will update the app tommorrow and then wait awhile to see if i can get the next release of map within the 30 days of LMG.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't going to update the map yet then don't bother going to Navcore 8 yet.

7.221 is the version that most of my 520/720/920's had on them out of the box.

I would upgrade to 7.481 and leave it at that until you do the LMG. It can take a few days after a map release until it is available via LMG though.

7.481 is available here.

Just remembered - RDS-TMC didn't work (1 minute delay bug) with Navcore 7 so you might want to go straight to the latest version.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: