Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 8450 shipping soon?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

8450 shipping soon?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: 8450 shipping soon? Reply with quote

Just noticed this morning that the Navigon website has been given a totally new look.
Loads more information is available for the 8410 and 8450, which makes me wonder if the 8450's will also start to ship soon.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just noticed on the German site it shows "Verfügbar ab: Montag, 26. Oktober 2009"

So guess they will start shipping on the Navigon German site next Monday and hopefully the International site / UK site would follow soon after.

I may just place my order with Dabs or Amazon though... unless they realise that the price is wrong and change it.

Good news about the Real City 3D view

"The following cities will gradually be made available: Marseille, Milan, Amsterdam, Turin, Düsseldorf, Barcelona, Helsinki, Cologne, Antwerp, Strasbourg, Rotterdam, Stuttgart, Seville, Valencia, Prague, Stockholm, Oslo, Liverpool, Geneva, Zurich, Dortmund, Copenhagen, Budapest, Nice, Manchester, Dublin.

You will receive all additional cities free of charge with your FreshMaps update."

So Liverpool and Manchester will be added and won't cost anything more, I do hope that even more get added.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flash demo of the 8410 can be found here http://www.nav-user.com/navigondemo/main_loader_2410_dk_431_navuser.swf
Jonnyhifi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: 8450 shipping date update Reply with quote

Last night the Navigon site was down, and today it seems to have changed : presumably they were changing various stuff: notably it now (23rd oct) says that the 8450 will be available from Monday Nov 2nd 2009, with the "reserve it now" button still active. (at 499 euros... any advances ? Laughing Out Loud)
No manual fro it listed though. Still intrigued as to whether it has the FM transmitter or not. I would like that and could do without a TV tuner option. I mean !?!?!? It's a PND for goodness sake. If I want a TV I'll get a TV...
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can you fit a TV in the car for those boring traffic jam/camping site moments, just when you'd like to see the news, or whatever? Cool

Mind you, not a major priority for me either. Razz
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV is an optional extra, it doesn't seem you will be forced into buying one.
It's odd that it's still not clear if the Unit has the FM transmitter but from experience although it works well on short journeys on longer ones you will find yourself having to retune when a local radio station starts to interupt the Navigon music / instructions.
Maybe Navigon feel they have improved the speaker in the unit itself enough to not need sound to be transmitted?

Personally I think I may still get one.

Noticed that the ADAC camping guides now seem to be available in the UK, so may not be long before the promised Michelin guides?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's out at £400! Amazon want £518, so I won't be going THERE (and the € price isn't competitive for me either on Navigon at current rates). So when I'm ready I guess it's N's UK store. (BTW, I've come across this site - thanks to MSE - which might interest some; it monitors Amazon prices against a figure you supply and tells you when/if A reduce prices to that level)
Quote:
http://zeezaw.co.uk/index.jsp;jsessionid=969C211D85E61BA1FBCE1647DAE4B8D3

And any faint hopes I had about at least some features possibly being made available on the 8310 have been rather dented, as I see that it no longer features in the product list at all.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabs and BT still list them at £390.
Not looked but is the on at over £400 a reseller and not Amazon as I noticed a more expensive listing, but when I last looked Amazon themselves still had it at the same price.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see from the country list that Traffic Live and Clever Parking (quite important for me) are NOT available in the UK at present. Don't know what plans they have. I will be a lot more interested in it once they are made available.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I see from the country list that Traffic Live and Clever Parking (quite important for me) are NOT available in the UK at present. Don't know what plans they have. I will be a lot more interested in it once they are made available.

I noticed that last night too and was concerned, but then the website went all upside down... no joke... they were doing maintainance and as a joke they flipped the website upside down.

This morning if you click on 'Live Services' and Availability Traffic LIVE is now shown as for the UK.

I don't think we will get the Clever Live parking soon (with realtime space information) as I suspect that data is provided by a car park company in Germany and the other 2 countries it's available in. So unless NCP or some other major car park company starts to provide the data for the UK it may not appear.
The UK will be limited to the current Parking information, just not the realtime spaces information Sad.

I'm most interested in the Traffic LIVE and Google Search. Google Search will be so much better when on holiday than having to rely on POI's being upto date.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that jonandmarkuk. I haven't found the 'Live' tabs you mention yet - will keep looking. Traffic seems a bit confused - the 8450 'functions' list still excludes UK, but I found it WAS included in a Q&A entry on Live services in the Support section.

I'm sure you are right about Parking, though.

I'm also slightly unsure about whether the Live Map Update reporting is available at present. I know you can submit updates through the website, but I thought the Live models were going to allow a more direct facility on the satnav (or have I got that wrong - got it from one of the recent press releases?).

I have asked Navigon to clarify. (Took me a while to find the question submission bit on their new site as well - must be getting old...)
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Thanks for that jonandmarkuk. I haven't found the 'Live' tabs you mention yet - will keep looking. Traffic seems a bit confused - the 8450 'functions' list still excludes UK, but I found it WAS included in a Q&A entry on Live services in the Support section.

I'm sure you are right about Parking, though.

I'm also slightly unsure about whether the Live Map Update reporting is available at present. I know you can submit updates through the website, but I thought the Live models were going to allow a more direct facility on the satnav (or have I got that wrong - got it from one of the recent press releases?).

I have asked Navigon to clarify. (Took me a while to find the question submission bit on their new site as well - must be getting old...)

Seems Navigon are still playing with the site at the moment. I have seen Travel guides appear and disappear on the German site and ADAC camping guides are shown on some of the UK pages.

As for the Live Map update the way I understand it will work is people will be able to submit a change from the device (without having to link up to a PC) and Navteq will verify the change (possibly) then that update will be made available to users via the LIVE service so in the background new roads / POI's will get added to the map without having to do a full 2Gb download of a map?

That's the way I understand it... I'm still keeping a close eye on the site for the 8450 manual to be published as that will hopefully clear up any questions.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found 'Live Services/Availability' - still not crystal clear there either - although UK is listed it is still greyed out on the map (which is an indication it is not available here Stop it! ). No doubt Navigon will clarify shortly.

I'm anxiously awaiting sight of the 8450 manual too!
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not noticed that until now.
I suspect Navigon have run into last minute problems, as even the German website now suggests the 8450's aren't shipping yet and there is still no sign of the manual appearing on the net.
I do follow Navigon on Facebook and Twitter and they seem to be doing lots of work on the iPhone app, and I really hope that's not taking developers time away from getting the 8450 and LIVE services out for the PND's.

Navigon may have tried to launch too many products at the same time Sad The 8450 really has slipped on release time as it was supposed to be out in Oct, so unless it ships today then they have missed the Oct target. Sad
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mailed Navigon about the conflicting information.
The LIVE features are the main reason I'm looking to upgrade from the 8310, if Traffic LIVE isn't available then it's a very expensive upgrade when I'd only really gain the Google Search.

The FAQ page has been updated and still shows UK, but it also now indicates that INRIX are providing the Traffic information

http://www.inrix.com/solutionsautomotive.asp

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: