Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 940 - Recent Home update left me with a corrupt device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 940 - Recent Home update left me with a corrupt device

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Go 940 - Recent Home update left me with a corrupt device Reply with quote

About 5 mins before a 6 hour trip northwards I decided (as I'd just paid out £80 for a years traffic) to get any new updates. Did that, and then the TT would not boot up, it would just sit on the start-up screen, and then a 15 second press on the power button would give me a "black screen of death" (to coin a phrase), listing all sorts of info.

I decided to erase all the files on the device and copy back from a backup from the night before (manual backup, first one in months!). However, there was one file that would not delete - a TT premium speed cam file, 0 bytes long, apparently "in use", no matter what I did it would not delete. But it would rename, so renamed with a new .deleteme extension. Restored all files and got it working again.

This all took about an hour and a half as I've not mentioned the other things I tried, very frustrating.

Is this common? Could I have reformatted the TT drive (to get rid of the file)? Any advice greatly appreciated!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have experianced isn't unusual but bear in mind that what we see on a forum is generally only the failures, for every failure there will probably be 100+ devices that work fine, its just these users without problems tend not to shout about it!

As for getting rid of the file a format (slow format from Windows, don't use the quick format option) then reinstall your backup - Mike
markos
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike, when I return home I'll reformat it. I was a little unsure if it was okay to reformat or not, didn't know if it was going to be some strange format that Windows couldn't manage, plus the wife was getting a bit concerned how late we were in setting off!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markos wrote:
....didn't know if it was going to be some strange format that Windows couldn't manage

Nope, TomToms use bog-standard FAT32 format for their cards and drives.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi markos
Ah! Now you see the importance of having a backup. As for a Format, yes, Mike’s quite right (I have done it on numerous occasions) and it should present no problems.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: