Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Got my new 520, trying to do stuff but struggling
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my new 520, trying to do stuff but struggling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Got my new 520, trying to do stuff but struggling Reply with quote

I asked for advice a while back about buying a Tom Tom, you guys were awesome.

Then was told to do stuff with it before I started using it. I am struggling to get started! Here is what I was told to do :-

When it arives make a full backup using Windows Explorer to your PC before doing anything else with it.
Next download and install the latest TomTom Home software to your PC which is available from Here
Connect the device to the PC and use the Home application to update the device to the latest Navcore application, you might need to do this a number of times as it tends to update in steps.
Finally use Latest Map Gaurantee to download and install the latest map and you will have a device that rivals the latest units costing over twice as much - Mike

I can't find how to backupo, and guess I will strugle with the rest too, I am just about computer illiterate. Any help would be very greatfully appreciated.

Thanks. Simon
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing might be to have a look at the TT FAQs.

The first FAQ links to a "How to do a Backup" page.

This will take you through, step by step, the process of doing an Explorer Backup.

When you've mastered that, come back and we can go through the next process.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: thanks for the help Reply with quote

I have created a file, but don't understand the section

Highlight all the files and folders on the TomTom card then right click and select "Copy" from the pop-up box.
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:10 am    Post subject: Does it mean, Reply with quote

open up the tom tom on my computer then copy the 49 items in the list?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, then click on the new folder you created and "Paste" them into it.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you create a backup folder for the TomTom & open it

Next open my computer so you can see the TomTom logo & all your drives

Position the two open folder next to each other on your screen so you can see then both

Select the TomTom logo in my computer & drag it to the other withdow

Whilst still holding down the mouse & with the logo hovering over the open new folder depress the left control key (lowest key on extreme left)

The message next to the hovering icon will change from 'create link' to 'copy'

Release the mouse key & the whole TomTom will be copied to the new folder
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Getting there, lol Reply with quote

OK, I have created a back up file, on desk top as I am so scared of computers I never delete anything and rarely add anything (only thing I have added in 6 months is mobile phone software!

Next open tom tom home and update using navcore application. Does it say "navcore application" for dummies like me?

I have downloaded Tom Tom Home two and have that on my desk top now
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory:-

If you haven't got an account at TomTom you will need to create one using the link in TomTom Home

Log onto your account

Select 'Update' TomTom

When Home has analysed your 520 a screen should appear with a load of items prechecked - accept that & then it should complete the update pretty much automatically.

When you've updated everything & checked that the TomTom works ok do another full backup in it's updated state
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCEPT, do it in the order you were given first of all!
Do not accept a map update UNTIL you have done the software (Navcore) update.
THEN use the Latest Map Guarantee option in the Tools menu at the top of the screen to see if there is a free map update for you.

If you do it in the wrong order or all at once, you may be offered an older map and you only get one go at it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back a step....

DennisN wrote:
Yes, then click on the new folder you created and "Paste" them into it.

It's RIGHT click on the folder....

IanS100 wrote:
If you create a backup folder for the TomTom & open it........
.......Release the mouse key & the whole TomTom will be copied to the new folder

In Windows, there are several different ways to copy and paste stuff from one place to another - right clicking and using the pop up menu, the commands on the edit menu, control-c and control-v keyboard shortcuts, or click and dragging with the mouse.
It might have been easier if the replies had stuck to one method to avoid confusing you further, but basically use whatever technique you are happy with. There must be a thousand "How to copy and paste tutorials and videos on the web, if you want to check it out later.

Last edited by Andy_P on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: ok, I started the update Reply with quote

But one of the items updating says "one time only update". I stopped the update. I checked the list of ticked items it was going to update and there is nothing mentioned about the maps. Is it safe to restart the updatre and be able to update the map at a later time?

thanks guys.

Last edited by siw1800 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, you should have my phone number by now so feel free to give me a ring - Mike
siw1800
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Done and dusted Reply with quote

May I just take this oportunity to thank all those who contributed to helping this idiot.

Extra special thanks to Mike, what a guy! Willing to give his time and phone number up to a complete stranger so that MY sat nav is as good as it can be.

To come across people, in this day and age who are willing to freely give their time and knowledge to people they do not know for no gain to themselves gives me hope for the human race amongst all the doom and gloom and generaly poor behaviour of the masses.

THANK YOU Very Happy

Simon
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clicking Here will get you the latest postcode data for your updated device, why TomTom Home isn't capable of getting these files isn't known, but it might be worth updating the postcode data on your device as it will be very out of date (v715 maps were on the device)

When you click the link above select "Open" once its downloaded it will open the file showing four files, these need to be extracted/ unzipped to the "zip" folder on your TomTom, the PC will probably throws a warning about replacing existing files, just answer OK/ Yes as applicable - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: