Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Doing a TTHome back up
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Doing a TTHome back up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Doing a TTHome back up Reply with quote

I will start by saying i have allready done a windows back up of my XL.

Was in TTHome and thought i would also do a back up there for extra safety as i done with my GO710. It tells me that i dont have enough memory on my hard drive that i need 87.5GB of free space and the memory of the XL is just under 2GB. Any ideas guys. Confused Confused

Not too bothered as i have my windows one anyway but is annoying as to why it is asking for all that memory as my computer is a 40GB which is not even half.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats because TT Home is crap, don't waste your time using it to create backups unless you are really really bored its not worth the effort - Mike
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that bit of technical information Mike. I think your diagnosis is correct and was my conclusion also. Laughing Laughing
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Mike being more diplomatic about Home than usual. Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bad night last night, thats unusual and can be classed as a one off, the Home software is as I described CRAP - the only thing I find it is good at is consistancy - read in to that what you want:

Go 910 total loss of Text To Speech due to the Home software back up renaming all files and folders to lower case, result was 4GB+ of scrap data on the device and no real way to fix it from TomTom - We worked out a way in the end that was rather painless.

Map version 835 total loss of traffic information Live/ HD/ GPRS and RDS-TMC, again caused by Home software installing a couple of files by name but leaving the content behind, even though the download contained the correct content.

Backups - why delete a pefectly good backup while creating a new one, if it goes wrong you are left with a dead device and no options if you rely upon this rubbish.

Updates - Every update to the device has taken 7 to 14 days before owners can use the "operate my go" feature due to the stupid time lapse between Navcore updates and Home software glitch fixes - Consistant as this has been the case for two years plus now.

Inability to work out how to install a map larger than the available storage capacity even when a decent size memory card is installed - the current implementation of installing the new map to both locations is pathetic.

Inability to report correctly the map version installed to the device or the Navcore software installed to the device when using the "operate my go"

Slow down of the PC and no way to stop this crap loading when the PC boots up, this is inexcusable - easy to terminate the application with a right click - but its my computer and I don't want this running on it

I am quite sure others can add to the above list - I seldom use Home for very good reason, but if I state something is CRAP then I really should validate why I feel this way - I could go on, and the list could grow but its time for bed - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice roundup Mike.

mikealder wrote:
Slow down of the PC

The slowing down and overall CPU load of the PC, AND the incredible slowness of the prog. itself.

mikealder wrote:
and no way to stop this crap loading when the PC boots up, this is inexcusable - easy to terminate the application with a right click - but its my computer and I don't want this running on it

That *is* fixable, but only with a registry hack. We shouldn't be forced to go to those lengths to stop it.
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That the way software is going unfortunately. I have a HP lappy that was full pre-installed stuff fighting with each other at start up. Even my latest printer installed likewise.

Disable the offending stuff in control panel/admin tools/system config/startup.

But why should we have to?
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet, thanks for the path to the Windows StartUp configuration. EasyPeasy.

Reading this post I was thinking to myself "What is everybody talking about? TTHome doesn't start up automatically", Using your directions I notice that I disabled TTHome on 12/04/09. I recieved my Go730 on 10/04/09! So it took two days to annoy me sufficienlty enough to want to disable it. It must have been bad for me put it to the back of my memory like that.

I would have used CCleaner to disable it. CCleaner/Tools/StartUp.

N:B: Isn't there a Tick Box in TTHome itself? somewhere in the "Tools" tab about disabling TTHome on StartUp or Device Connection or something.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit surprised when Mike said there was no way within TT software to stop it loading automatically upon startup. As AliOnHols suggests in TT Home/Tools/Home_Preferences, there is a choice box you can untick to stop it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have fixed the start up issue then fine but there was a time when selecting the checkbox to prevent it loading on PC Boot up didn't work, this is why I listed it - Since disabling it properly I don't have any issues - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If they have fixed the start up issue then fine but there was a time when selecting the checkbox to prevent it loading on PC Boot up didn't work, this is why I listed it - Since disabling it properly I don't have any issues - Mike

So Home is now just 'sorta crap'? Laughing Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
I was a bit surprised when Mike said there was no way within TT software to stop it loading automatically upon startup. As AliOnHols suggests in TT Home/Tools/Home_Preferences, there is a choice box you can untick to stop it.

No, I think you're mistaken there....

The tickbox in preferences is labelled "Start Home automatically when I connect my device to my computer (recommended)".
(not when your computer starts up).
All that does, when ticked, is launch the graphical program into the foreground when you plug in your TomTom, but the base programs are still loaded into the PC's memory at startup whether it is ticked or not (so it can know when a device is plugged in!).

Unless you disable them (either manually with a registry hack or by using Control Panel's admin tools, CCleaner etc.), the programs running all the time in the background are:
TomTomHOMERunner.exe (which loads the tray icon)
TomTomHOMEService.exe (the "service")

Then when you launch home from the tray icon or by connecting the device:
TomTomHOME.exe runs briefly and that loads:
TomTomHOMERuntime.exe
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Andy and apologies to Mike my disconnected brain read it the way I wanted to see it then realised I have TT Home disabled during startup via CCleaner.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
So Home is now just 'sorta crap'?

Yes, but you should bear in mind for me to call it this good or bad depending upon your view means it must have improved, prior to this I couldn't put into print what I thought about it Laughing - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: