Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with POI-Warner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with POI-Warner
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Problem with POI-Warner Reply with quote

I am running POI-Warner on a 2100max and I have noticed that after the last upgrade (currently MN7 V3.42.182538) I always get the voice comment "Slow down you are exceeding the speed limit" whatever my speed.
Since I don't get this on the overhead variable speed motorway cameras it looks like an MPH/KPH problem but I have checked all my settings and they are all MPH. I didn't get this problem with my original POI-W install so has something changed or have I messed something up (probably!).
Has anyone else had this problem - and if so how do I fix it?
Any help welcomed.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puzzling Surprised Just a couple of thoughts though:

I know only I would be silly enough to do this Cool but have you got the right voice files associated with these particular camera approach warnings?

Also as settings may sometimes be factory-reset on an upgrade, have you checked that the warning selections are still for the voice files and not, for instance, for the standard 'Navigon' warning?
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I know only I would be silly enough to do this Cool but have you got the right voice files associated with these particular camera approach warnings?

Also as settings may sometimes be factory-reset on an upgrade, have you checked that the warning selections are still for the voice files and not, for instance, for the standard 'Navigon' warning?
I use just the voice alert options given and have tried switching between 'standard' and 'Navigon' but it doesn't make any difference. I have also reset all my settings including the one and only KPH v MPH option.
I tried looking at the db files and this confirms that there are different voice files for 'Alerts' and 'Exceeding Speed Limit'. The problem is that the over speed limit is being triggered when I am below the limit.
There is a later release of POI-W (MN 7 V3.43.244477) so I installed this - but it didn't make any difference.
I also looked to see if there was a KPH v MPH option in the Serilot setting (there wasn't but I ended up re-initialising the Serilot anyway).
I have now put in a call to Navigating.de and will see what they say!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another (even less confident Embarassed ) thought. The Navigon itself has an option to give over-speed warnings if you set them, and would give you them directly (ie POI-W not involved). But I take it the message you are getting IS definitely a PGPSW voice?

Still wouldn't explain why they are being given under the speed limit though ...

Hope n.de come up with something!
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Hope n.de come up with something!
Not much to report so far - so watch this space...
My query to n.de was sent on 23/9 and two days later we went off for a fortnight's holiday in our 'van (taking a laptop with us). On 30/9 n.de asked for more info - which I sent the same day. On 7/10 they suggested changing the "maximum near POI" which I did and yesterday went for a test drive to my local specs half a mile away. It didn't make any difference but when I checked all my POI-W settings I noticed that not all of the PGPS files were ticked. I don't think this affects my test drive but to be absolutely fair to n.de I have corrected/checked all my settings and will be going for another drive today.
Don't hold your breath!
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1man wrote:
... and will be going for another drive today.

Did several runs past my local specs (50mph) both below 50mph and below 30mph - apologies to those behind me on the slip road!

I have replied to n.de that:
" If I drive at 30mph (when the speed camera file is "@50") then the warning does not occur.
30mph = 48kph so it appears that the asc file setting of "@50" is being interpreted as kph instead of mph.
I have checked and Options/General Options/Unit is set to "mph"
This problem did not occur with software releases prior to March 2009 "

I will let you know when n.de reply.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1man wrote:
I will let you know when n.de reply.
n.de replied today saying they have forwarded my emails to their developers and suggest "a suitable workaround just to set the warning speed to kph values instead of mph".
Since I don't intend to edit all 30 PGPS .asc files on a weekly basis I suppose I shall just have to put up with the problem until they fix it!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that you have to reset the settings for a POI file each time you reload it. I'm fairly sure that mine are retained. If that's right you should only have to set them the once.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I'm not sure that you have to reset the settings for a POI file each time you reload it. I'm fairly sure that mine are retained. If that's right you should only have to set them the once.
The first entry from the pocketgps_uk_specs_50.asc file yesterday is:
-0.99137,53.41798,"W-SPECS:3979@50".
The first entry from the pocketgps_uk_gatso_70.asc file is:
-0.11083,52.02668,"NE-GATSO:8@70"
My understanding is that the @?? is the speed limit of the Camera. Because I download separate files all the @?? figures in a file are the same as in the file name but it doesn't have to be this way. What I think n.de are suggesting as the workaround is that I change all the @50 (mph) to @80 (kph), @70 to @113, and so on.
It may be that the annoying "Slow down you are exceeding the speed limit" is only given out on the second warning as the first one is always "Attention", so I could try setting the second warning to 0 seconds to see if it helps!
In another post of yours you said that you always delayed installing n.de software updates unless they fixed a problem you had - very wise - now I know why!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting - I'd forgotten the filename convention for specifying speed. I believe POI-Loader and Ash's Camera Manager use that info to set warnings.

However, I was overdue for a PGPSW download so have just done one to check this. I usually rely on the visual warning as too many verbals get on my nerves (and on 'ers-oo-should-be-indoors'), so for example I set 'never' for 20 & 50, and specific times for 30 & 40. The reload did NOT affect these settings, which remained as before.

Anyway, I have asked POI-Warner what they ACTUALLY do (if anything) when they load camera overlays. POI-Handler and navigating.de themselves have camera files - maybe they detect whether specific POI files are being loaded for the first time, and only set default values that time. Or maybe they set internal programmatic values which can't be edited.

So I reckon (hope ( Cake Out of here ) you should only have to correct the values once.
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
So I reckon (hope ( Cake Out of here ) you should only have to correct the values once.

Just had a look at the Redlight file:
-1.30003,54.60558,"S-REDLIGHT:3250@40"
-1.59643,54.97484,"SW-REDLIGHT:8877@30"
-1.23933,54.64776,"W-REDLIGHT:8878@50"
from which it appears that I am going to have to do it the hard way. Crying or Very sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had this reply from navigating.de (pretty quick Razz )
Quote:
Concerning the warnings, the speed limits at speed camera POIs are usually set by the text. If mph is selected as unit of velocity (under "File--General Settings"), the programme should show and accept mph input in the warning settings ("POI-Manager--POI-Settings--Acoustic Warnings-- +/-Speed"). A customer has recently reported that the interpretation of mph information was incorrect and we recommended him to adjust the warning speed to the km/h value representing your overlay's authorised speed. We are currently checking if there is something wrong within POI-Warner.

You do not have to worry about the distance at which the warning goes off. This is internally calculated and based on the time you need to reach the POI.

C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... If mph is selected as unit of velocity (under "File--General Settings"), the programme should show and accept mph input in the warning settings ("POI-Manager--POI-Settings--Acoustic Warnings-- +/-Speed").

Just to see if it made any difference I set the mph value to 110 (kph ~= 70 mph), the Warning to Standard, (and then opened the full list and made sure all 30 PGPS files were ticked) before OK'ing.
I then went for my standard pass of my local SPEC (50mph) and redlight (40mph) cameras. The first warning was now "Upcoming danger" and a bit later there were four load beeps, and that was it for both cameras (I was below the limits). This is certainly better than the previous annoying voice prompt and I shall be keeping this setting until n.de fix the problem. Very Happy
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm ... that now sounds a bit more than just a kph/mph conversion issue C1man Confused

And I didn't even take my own advice. Trying to download navigating.de's own FREE fixed European camera database (as at 1.1.09 - I think I saw there were 28,000 cameras in it, but am not sure now) I inadvertently updated POI-Warner. WHAT a time I had trying to get my POIs sorted out afterwards, as they always seem to disappear after an upgrade, and I have a hellavu job then getting through the data coruption problems Twisted Evil

It's a bit of a pain that if you want to use their synchonise service, they seem to force you to upgrade. I have asked them if they can retain your POI files when doing this. Interested to see what they say. Rolling Eyes
colourdmd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:23 pm    Post subject: POI-Warner Reply with quote

I recently emailed POI-Warner about the mph/kph speed warning problem and they now have an update which works well on my Navigon 2310, so check with them to see if your system is compatible.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: