Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to show POI icons?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to show POI icons?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ellison64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: How to show POI icons? Reply with quote

Hi..
I have a garmin nuvi 200w.Ive downloaded and installed the POI loader for it,and then downloaded the "food and drink" poi .So far so good.I then extracted the files to a folder and the two files showing are the Food_&_Drink_PGPSW.csv file and Food_&_Drink_PGPSW.bmp file.I then use the POI loader to transfer the files to the nuvi 200 and it says succesful.The .csv file is then found under WHERE TO? EXTRAS CUSTOM POIs.However theres no icon .Shouldnt the food and drink icon show when i click custom POIs? and then the food and drink .csv list then show when i click the icon?...or am i misunderstanding how this works?.Also if i install any other .csv files such as "shopping" it just overwrites the food and drink one.Shouldnt i have each csv file under an icon that i can click?.By the way im saving straight to the nuvi not a card.
tia
ellison
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

I'm not sure about the icon appearing but if you can get to the list in the manner you describe it sounds fine. The icon may only appear on the map.
ellison64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply...
But should another poi .csv file overwrite the one already on the nuvi?.I though i could have many seperate files.For instance i cant have shopping ,and food and drink as whichever one i load on to the nuvi overwrites the previous one.Is that how its supposed to work?
tia
ellison
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have many CSV files on there, but you must load them all in one go. If you load another one now it'll wipe out the current one, so upload both of them at the same time.

Put the Food and Drink.csv and bmp files in a folder on your PC. Then add the Shopping.csv and bmp files to that folder. Then use POILoader to upload the contents of the folder in one go.
ellison64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see Smile

Many many thanks .That info has saved me pulling my hair out Smile
thanks again
ellison
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Same goes if you want to add the PGPSW Speed Camera Database. Also not advisable to try to add more than 250 or so categories (csv files).
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a work around to allow you to have multiple POI sets using the POI Loader.

Rather than saving the created POI file to your device save them to a folder on your PC. This will generate a file called POI.gpi which you can then rename as Food&Drink.gpi etc. Manually move that renamed file onto your device and it will not then be overwritten by the next set that you convert.

I had sets for all my POI collections and then the PGPSW Speed camera set. Each week I only had to update the speed camera set and it would not affect the others.

Hope this helps.

Rick
ellison64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
There is a work around to allow you to have multiple POI sets using the POI Loader.

Rather than saving the created POI file to your device save them to a folder on your PC. This will generate a file called POI.gpi which you can then rename as Food&Drink.gpi etc. Manually move that renamed file onto your device and it will not then be overwritten by the next set that you convert.

I had sets for all my POI collections and then the PGPSW Speed camera set. Each week I only had to update the speed camera set and it would not affect the others.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Hi....
Thanks for the tip.When you say "manually move the renamed .gpi file to the nuvi ,do you mean using the loader or copying and pasting into the garmin folder through explorer?.If its copy and paste (or send to) the garmin folder through explorer ,then where exactly would i put the file?Is it the garman/POI folder?
tia
ellison
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellison64 wrote:
[
then where exactly would i put the file?Is it the garman/POI folder?
tia
ellison

I was using Garmin Mobile XT at the time and placed (using the copy/paste, or drag and drop method in windows explorer) the files into the Garmin\POI folder as you correctly state

Rick
ellison64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for info.Ive moved them to the nuvi and everythings working fine:).
One other thing id like to ask if i may?.I purchased the AA "DAYS OUT" guide for £4.99.It seemed cheap enough for the 2000 or so places of interest that it contained.
http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/uk/uk/garminExtras/garmin-travel-guides/aaguides
It downloaded and installed ok.However when i click extras then AA DAYS out guide theres only 52 entries showing (all of them pretty much local to me).Im starting to wonder whether this AA guide only shows u pois that are local and not UK wide as advertised or am i missing something?.Do you happen to have any experience with the AA guides and how they work?
tia
ellison
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used the AA guide but occasionally had a play with the guide which displayed photos of places near to your location. I think it was called Panorama or similar. It allowed you to choose Places near you or near a location. Maybe the AA guide has a similar setting.

Due to memory shortage currently on my mobile I do not have the Mobile XT installed at present to check

I just had a quick look at the link you gave and noticed this

Quote:
1. A list of points of interest (short: POIs) within the guide will appear on the screen. This list contains the closest POIs to your location within that AA category or guide. Select one POI of your choice.

Rick
ellison64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm Thanksfor checking...
I think ill email garmin from the invoice as im not happy paying for just 52 entries.The local entries are pretty much pointless because i know where they are anyway.I think ill ask for a refund if thats how the guide works ,as it doesnt make that clear during purchase.
thanks again anyway,appreciate it .
ellison
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your Garmin have the facility for setting a specific location (eg city) as your current position? If so you might like to see what AA shows then.
ellison64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
It now works.I guess i have to set my local position to see other places as you have mentioned.The problem i see with that though is if i then click go to travel to that place ,it goes from the current local position.Other than that id have to change my local position to bring more entries up ,copy the postcode,set local back to my true home position and then clcik go to travel there.Madness !! ,unless im missing something (quite likely Smile ) again
ellison
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change your location to one near the destination, find the destination you want then plan a route to it in the normal way. Then you should be able to start again from where you are and find your intended destination under Recent Destinations.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: