Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Differences between GO and XL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences between GO and XL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rescueme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People seem to be very anti x40 range. I have a One v2 which I'm super happy with and use daily at work. But I'm thinking about an upgrade for 2 reasons:

1. The voice inputting. I work in the emergency services and being able to voice input would save time when I'm responding to 999 calls.
BUT how good is it? If I'm going to end up typing addresses in then I'll save my cash and stick with my one.

2. The bluetooth hands free kit would come in handy for the works vehicle. While I don't intend to use it regularly it would be handy for urgent calls.

So.. Can anyone help me with the quality of the voice commands and inputting? Do I buy a x40 or save my cash and stick with what I've got??

Cheers
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an x40 owner, so I can only offer opinion based on the x20 - the x40 should have moved on from this and therefore be better, but the feature is basically the same.

For voice navigation instructions you select "Dialogue" mode, it asks you to speak the name of the city, you speak the name and it offers you a numbered list (1 to 6 I think) of what it thinks you said, you speak the number of the city which is correct. It says the name and you say OK. It asks you for the name of the street, you speak the street name and it offers you a numbered list (1 to 6?) of what it thinks you said, you speak the number. It says the street name and you say OK. It asks you for the house number, you speak it as separate numbers, e.g 14 is spoken as ONE, FOUR.

That's it. Simple. Mikealder says his cannot understand his thick northern accent. Mine usually understands my northern accent, but when it doesn't, I shout obscenities at it (they don't help at all!). If it doesn't understand you, you're up the creek without a paddle. I don't use mine much these days as I find it just as quick and more accurate, to type in the destination.

Bluetooth hands free is great when it works. It requires a compatible phone and most compatible phones are older models, not recent ones - this is a major complaint from many users, their lovely posh phone simply won't work with the TomTom. Mine does - ancient Nokia 6230i. However, like many others, I've found this feature so unstable as to be unuseable for serious business. Other people find it perfectly stable, so it's a bit of a lottery.

Food for thought!!

More food for thought - if your TomTom is so useful, why don't your employers provide one? Seems unfortunate that you have to consider buying yourself a x hundred pound device for your work. I'm self-employed, so my employer has bought three of mine! Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speech recognition doesn't work for me its a source of fun and games getting the device to guess what I have said, in the end I tap the address in to device using the screen which is much quicker - IMHO its still quicker to use the screen that the ASR (Advanced Speech Recognition) which if it works is a gimick.

Bluetooth handsfree for emergency services - get a dedicated kit fitted by your employer, don't use a TomTom for this and navigation because when it goes wrong you will lose the lot - the device locks up with a machine gun type sound and crashes the device. I got so sick of it I purchased a dedicated handsfree kit fo the car.

The only thing the x40 would offer you is the Live services such as HD Traffic, if this is important to you then also consider the XL IQ Live which is cheaper and more reliable as there is less to go wrong. Save you money and wait for your existing using to pack up before looking around at whats available in the market the x50 has just been announced but we will have to wait and see what delights that has to offer - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescueme wrote:
People seem to be very anti x40 range.

All you are reading is peoples first hand experience.

As with most things, negative experiences are voiced loudly whereas users who have no problems are very unklikely to post the fact that it works.

All I can say is make your own mind up, there are some very experienced users on here who have tried all of the different offerings and have experienced problems. Some don't though!

My XL LIVE IQ is the best TT I have owned to date - it just works, just like the good ole days of the first GO's!
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest i was always going to stick with the GO models but after Mike telling me about the only main difference being mostly no bluetooth i thought i would give it a go especially as halfords are selling them at £179.99 with 3 months free LIVE services also(think that is standard anyway). I think the XL is great, much faster and cant complain. Very Happy Very Happy
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
rescueme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A number of our new cars are being routinely fitted with bluetooth handsfree kits, but they aren't going to retro fit the entire fleet. So I'll just have to stick to pulling over to use my phone. The company would probably tell me that it is not an essential item. But it.s amazing how useful my free minutes are for work business!

It's a real pity that the voice input doesn't seem to work, it really would help. Guess I'll stick with my trusty One and just have to pull over to input my destination before turning on the blue lights and sirens!!

I would really like to hear off anyone who has an x40 and sucessfully uses voice input. I'd love to give it a try, but don't know anyone with one..

HD Live is of no use to me, I go wherever I need to in the traffic, and the emergency equipment helps me battle the traffic when I need to get somewhere quick! Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice input for Navigation DOES work, providing it recognises your voice. I'm sure lots of people are using it successfully. I merely pointed out a possible pitfall.

My local Comet and Halfords both have demonstration models with large "Try Me" signs - go try him! Get hold of a spotty boy, tell him what you want to test and test it with a genuine address.

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal experience of voice control.....

I have a 940 and simply got bored of faffing around with voice control.

It struggles if the radio or other music is on, or if the window is open.

Or if I've forgotten which commands I can use.

And you still have to tap the screen several times anyway, so it seems a waste of space.

It's so long since I've used it I almost forgot it's on there.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescueme wrote:
A number of our new cars are being routinely fitted with bluetooth handsfree kits, but they aren't going to retro fit the entire fleet. So I'll just have to stick to pulling over to use my phone. The company would probably tell me that it is not an essential item. But it.s amazing how useful my free minutes are for work business!

If your company expect you to use a phone at all whilst driving then legally they have to fit the vehicle with a full hands free kit.

If they don't/can't/won't then turn your phone off and refuse to use it.

Your licence/life/someone elses life are just not worth putting at risk.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
If they don't/can't/won't then turn your phone off and refuse to use it.

Quite right, but in today's economic/jobs climate, it's gotta take some bottle to do it! Confused

M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'm self-employed, so my employer has bought three of mine! Laughing

Who bought the other 4 then Dennis Shocked Twisted Evil
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
DennisN wrote:
I'm self-employed, so my employer has bought three of mine! Laughing

Who bought the other 4 then Dennis Shocked Twisted Evil

I only have a total of four (Vera bought the 4th, the XL Live, for my birthday). But I have owned quite a lot - I've lost count, roughly 3 x00, 4 x10, 7 720, 1 920, 1 XL and TTN6 on my HTC thingy. Approximately. But all I have now is the HTC Advantage running TTN6, GO700 running handsfree phone, GO920 with RDS-TMC (and beginning to get dodgy) and XL Live IQ UK&ROI. All bar the XL Live were bought over the last four years by my employer, who is a right on guy who thinks the world of me.

I take it rescueme is not in a trade union which would sort out the hands free situation?

rescueme
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handsfree thing was purely an advantage. Even our work phones are not connected to car kits! Trade unions have far more important things to be doing??!!

It was the voice inputting I was really interested in. That would save me having to pull over to input a destination.

I'll get to halfords tomorrow to have a play!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rescueme wrote:
Even our work phones are not connected to car kits! Trade unions have far more important things to be doing??!!

More important than employees' health, safety and wellbeing? Don't get me started!! A pay rise isn't much use to somebody who loses his job for dangerous driving or is retired on ill health grounds due to injuries suffered from smashing the company car whilst on the phone.

AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
A pay rise isn't much use to somebody who loses his job for dangerous driving or is retired on ill health grounds due to injuries suffered from smashing the company car whilst on the phone.

Or even worse kills someone whilst on the phone.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: