Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - creating a folder on the memory stick for Nissan Connect
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

creating a folder on the memory stick for Nissan Connect
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brianpowell123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jock if this was directed to me, I didn't understand a word. I was dealing with Darren regarding a Nissan Connect download
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jock was asking if you can show us a list of all the files and folders.

You can do this either by 1) creating a picture of your PC screen and posting it here, or 2) by creating a text list

Method one involves using the "Print screen" key on your PC keyboard, pasting that into a paint-type program and uploading the results to a bit of webspace you have access to or a picture sharing website, then linking to it here - sounds a lot more complicated then it is, but not the simplest thing to describe...

Method 2 uses a little freeware utility called "Drive Z" from HERE to create a simple text file you can post here.
Brianpowell123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihave downloaded drive z and the files are listed on the clipboard, how would I forward this to you
these listed files will not open and are only the names of the files, is that ok ? to save confusion they don't open on the clipboard but do open when in the ''warnings folder''
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... Drive Z is useful, but not VERY clever. It makes a list of files and folders, but it cannot drill down into every folder and show you those files all in one go. You have to do it in several steps.
(If anyone knows of a program that WILL show the entire directory structure all in one go, I'd love to know about it!)

To start, first make sure that in the Drive Z window both of the "folders" and "files" boxes are ticked and that the "remove extensions" box is UN-ticked.

Then use the left window to browse to the first level you want to see.
When you click on the big "Make a list and put it on the clipboard" button it makes a list of all the folders at that level and all the loose files at that same level.

All you have to do to show that list in the forum, is go back to the forum post you are writing and PASTE it into your post. Do that by either right clicking in the post window and selecting "paste" or just by tapping CTRL C on the keyboard. That will produce a list, first all the folders followed by the files.

BUT, don't forget... IT DOESN'T list all of the files inside every folder. You have to do that yourself by going back and selecting the folder you want next in the left window by double clicking on it.
Then click on the "Make a list and put it on the clipboard" button again make another list and paste that into your forum post too with some explanatory text saying which folder it was from.

Repeat as necessary.... Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

(If anyone knows of a program that WILL show the entire directory structure all in one go, I'd love to know about it!)

Answering my own question, a quick Google search found quite a few.
Of the free ones, these two looked good:

DirectoryLister19 - Simple to use and creates a text file output indented for each subdirectory.

Karen's Directory Printer More flexible, but more confusing and the default output has lots more options ticked than we need.

Anyway, I'll butt out now and let you get on with the proper question!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brianpowell123 wrote:
Jock if this was directed to me, I didn't understand a word. I was dealing with Darren regarding a Nissan Connect download

Just to clarify Brian, the beauty of forums is you share your problem with all of us so we can all assist. Often its easy to miss a solution whereas someone else may spot it instantly.

I suspect in this case the cause is a simple mistake in interpreting the installation guide so the more information you can provide the easier it is for us to spot it.

There are many others who have followed the guide successfully so we know it works.
Brianpowell123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Licence.txt
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.bmp
pocketgps_uk_pmobile.csv
pocketgps_uk_sc.bmp
pocketgps_uk_sc.csv
Release.txt
Don't know whether I've done this right, all these files have been copied and pasted from Drive Z. They were all extracted from folder ''myPOIWarnings'' which was originalyy put into ''my POIs'' folder
Brianpowell123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies to Jock, I thought I had received the reply in error as I didn't understand it. I'm having difficulty in understanding the transfer of these files to you, I thought I had done it in my last reply. With regard to the suggestion of a misinterpretation of the installation perhaps I can put it in simple terms and if correct it should assist any beginners like myself who had this initial difficulty.
for Nissan Connect downloads
1.Download database for 'Other-csv' file, select UK single cameras
2.Save and enter into a location eg. my documents
3.Decompress file by right clicking 'Save as'
4.plug in Memory stick.
5. The seven files that appear when you decompress file,copy them to the memory stick.
6.Go to Memory stick and make two new folders.
Name the first folder 'my POIs' leaving a space between my and POIs
Name the second folder 'myPOIWarnings'
7 Ensure the folder names are exactly right as the names are case sensative
8.Lift the files you decompressed and put them into the 'myPOIWarnings 'folder
9.Lift the 'myPOIWarnings folder, containing the files into the 'my POIs' folder. Apply Memory stick to Nissan Connect,
Brianpowell123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:29 am    Post subject: re above simplified instructions Reply with quote

As there has been neither a reply or any comment to my interpretation of the download instructions, I will assume that they are in order.
Sadly I'm still unable to apply the result to my Nissan Connect since I omitted the spacing in the my and POIs folder when first attempting the proceedure. I'm waiting an email reply from Nissan UK, hoping that they have a solution as to why the 'Connect' will not accept my corrected file.
Maybe it's programmed to block further attempts when the initial application is in error. We shall see and perhaps a lesson to beginners to double check before plunging that stick into your USB port.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only other option I can suggest is you send me your memory-stick. I will check the files you have installed and if wrong, load the files in the correct format and advise.

Worth trying? Will only cost you a stamp and an SAE?
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The only other option I can suggest is you send me your memory-stick. I will check the files you have installed and if wrong, load the files in the correct format and advise.

Worth trying? Will only cost you a stamp and an SAE?
Darren,
the other alternative would be for Brian to reveal his rough location (is there any way to force people to do this when they subscribe?) we only need town/county, not street & house number! It might turn out that he lives next door to an "expert".

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brianpowell123 wrote:
3.Decompress file by right clicking 'Save as'

that isn't how you decompress / extract the files! you need to right-click and 'extract all'

Brianpowell123 wrote:
Go to Memory stick and make two new folders.
Name the first folder 'my POIs' leaving a space between my and POIs
Name the second folder 'myPOIWarnings'

I presume you put the 2nd folder inside the 1st one you made?

MaFt
Brianpowell123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference to MaFt, I thought item 9 in my 'Download, simplified' verified your suggestion, also thought clicking extract all resulted in the same files being exposed but if it makes a difference, I'll certainly try it !
Reference to Jock, I will amend my address, any experts living near Knotty Ash , Liverpool, glad of any help.
Reference to Darren, I will be pleased to send memory stick if you supply address.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brianpowell123 wrote:
thought clicking extract all resulted in the same files being exposed but if it makes a difference, I'll certainly try it !

It makes a big difference, you need to right-click and choose 'extract'.
Quote:
Reference to Darren, I will be pleased to send memory stick if you supply address.

Send me an email and I'll reply with the postal address.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory stick received. Immediate observation was you had a space between my and POIWarrnings in the folder name.

You had:

my POIs\my POIWarnings

It should be

my POIs\myPOIWarnings

I've corrected that and sent the memstick back.

I note that it isn't clear whether you can only have one .csv file in the folder and if you should have the .bmp (icon) files in there. We based our guide on Nissan's instructions and they don't make that clear.

Give the install a go with the stick as it is now and let me know how you get on, if it works great, if it doesn't then we can look at removing the icon files and the pMobile files and retry.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Nissan Connect All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: