Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New models launched
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New models launched
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: New models launched Reply with quote

I'm sure this will make it onto the main News page of PGPSW.
Navigon have announced the new models, 3 more than the initially talked about 8410.

Similar to the 8410 there is a smaller 6310, then smaller still 2400 and 1400 models.
The 2400 and 1400 models are designed with car to foot in mind and when parking up it will switch to pedestrian mode to guide you the rest of the way and automatically save the location of the car to guide you back again.
Pedestrian mode appears to be in Landscape.

In addition to the already talked about 8410 they have a 8450 and 6350 which are both 'LIVE' devices.
Similar to TomTom these have a built in Sim card in order to get traffic information, Weather, Google search functions, Mobile speed camera updates, and for some countries in europe real time parking space information.
The live features will be a subscription, and the subscription will be valid throughout Europe (to be honest I would have found the Google search a godsend in Geneva as although I didn't have the car we used the 8310 for walking but no supermarkets were in the POI's. So to have had access to Google would have really helped).

The units all get launched officially at IFA today so not sure if there will be more information later today or if what is on the website is the full information.

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/ifa09#highlights
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm ... I hope the goose is big enough to keep laying all these golden eggs so quickly. They must have spent an awful lot of effort producing the 8310 and 8110/upgrade and others, so recently, yet its IFA product list seems to have only the 7310 left from the (not so 'old') guard models (presumably not for long!).

I can't see much prospect for any of the latest facilities being retro-offered for 'older' models now, though admittedly most of them are probably too hardware dependent anyway.

I think if I'd spent out on an 8310 a couple of months ago, I could be feeling pretty agrieved, unless there are plans yet to be announced of course.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Hmmm ... I hope the goose is big enough to keep laying all these golden eggs so quickly. They must have spent an awful lot of effort producing the 8310 and 8110/upgrade and others, so recently, yet its IFA product list seems to have only the 7310 left from the (not so 'old') guard models (presumably not for long!).

I can't see much prospect for any of the latest facilities being retro-offered for 'older' models now, though admittedly most of them are probably too hardware dependent anyway.

I think if I'd spent out on an 8310 a couple of months ago, I could be feeling pretty agrieved, unless there are plans yet to be announced of course.

It's a shame the LIVE services can't be offered via the Bluetooth connection on the older devices.

I'm very tempted with one of the new LIVE devices. Not sure about the 8450 though as the Realview 3D only has London and Birmingham at the moment, not sure if more locations would be added over time?
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just asked navigating.de about POI support on the new range. I quite fancy one of the new models as well (if 'she indoors' doesn't notice), but after all the aggravations we've had on POIs I don't want to lose user-POI input facilities just yet,. Even if Google seems to be stepping into the breach (does this development explain anything?), that still wouldn't necessarily give the user perspective, such as Caravan Club sites.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would love one of the new units, and hope PoiWarner will work. But I'd be prepared to wait.
It's not clear yet if the 8410 will be classed as version 8 of software or not or if the RealView3D is just an add onto the version 7.

Google search will be a slight compromise, as as test I entered "caravan club site longleat" into Google and it found the site so assume with Navigon Live services you would be able to find it on the GPS. The main problem is you need to know if there's likely to be a club site in the area.

A couple of german video's of the 8410 and 8450's have appeared on Youtube. I'm looking forward to some english videos from PGPSW. Smile
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Navigon Live Reply with quote

Yes it would be great to see a "dongle" for the Live services offered for existing units as I am otherwise very pleased with my 4350 Max unit

And they are offering a connector for 2 of the new units that don't come with Live as standard, so it can be added later - and presumably it is therefore only software and dongle dependent

One way or another I am sure either Navigon Live or a 6450 Max Live unit will find its way to my Dash when its released - end of October?
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: new models Reply with quote

Having just bought an 8310 in July after wating some time to take the plunge, I just knew a new model would come soon afterwards! However, I am already impatient to buy this new model! Its really getting closer to what is a perfect PND. Does anyone know if the SIM card is GPRS, Edge or 3G?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new models Reply with quote

michaelj2 wrote:
Having just bought an 8310 in July after wating some time to take the plunge, I just knew a new model would come soon afterwards! However, I am already impatient to buy this new model! Its really getting closer to what is a perfect PND. Does anyone know if the SIM card is GPRS, Edge or 3G?

Not sure, but at a guess you would think it would be 3G for speed? Can't see why any company with build something based on old mobile technology.
Seems there maybe a few 8110 / 8310's appearing on ebay soon as people get the new ones Smile
One thing I hope is that the 8450 includes the battery saving features of the lower end models where in pedestrian mode the unit sort of powers down when you stop moving as I would hope the battery would last a while for playing back videos / TV when away from the car
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still confused with the numbering of the new devices.
i.e why is the lower model a 6310 and not a 6410 ?.
Someone has managed to get hold of a 8410 and seemed to indicate the software is 7.5.0 which makes me wonder if the basic software is the same and if some of the new features could be offered on the older models.

The LIVE adaptor seems to be a small box which fits on the unit, assuming that just connects to the USB socket maybe that too can be added?

Just wishful thinking maybe Wink I was hoping Navigon were going to use IFA to confirm Michelin guide data would be released for more countries other than France.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just on the offchance, I have asked Navigon today if they have any upgrade plans for us. I also asked if there was any prospect of linking the TV capability to a rear-view camera (quite fancy that!).

I wish our EU partners well of course Sad , but at €499 for the 8450, I'm looking to a bit of a downturn in their economies later in the year Laughing.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8410 manual is online now.

Having read through it I have noticed a couple of things;

Not clear quite how much further the Voice command functions go over the current 8310 version.

RealView3D is only updated free for the 1st 12 months (seems it's not part of the map updates).

It has a 'tracks' feature where you can record your own trips (off road) i.e. walking routes / cycle routes.
More interesting is the fact you can import Google Earth KML format files so if you are able to find walking routes in the format it can be used for more offroad navigation.

Having looked at the manual, I'm not 100% certain if I will switch just yet or wait until my current map updates run out / see what add on's get offered for the 8310
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of replies to my queries. From POI-Warner
Quote:
Currently, we cannot say if the new Navigon devices will be supported.
By now, every device running with MN7 is compatible.
And from Navigon about retrofitting
Quote:
unfortunately we do not have any informations about your asked questions yet.
So at least not 'No' so far.

Right - off to read the new model manual (have noticed in the datasheet that Premium TMC seems to be chargeable in the UK)!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through the new manual, I noticed a 'Search Nearby' option for a location in the Destination Search mode map, which I thought was a new option. I quite like to be able to pre-check POIs at my destination sometimes without typing in a full address from scratch, but hadn't realised there was this option on the 8310 as well (6.6.5).

However, when I try the screen with this option shown, it's greyed out and can't be selected. I had a GPS fix and was in Navigation mode before switching to the Destination screen and clicking on the green arrow when the destination was under the cross hairs. Anyone know when this option IS made available, please?
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:

Right - off to read the new model manual (have noticed in the datasheet that Premium TMC seems to be chargeable in the UK)!

That's true, but the 8310 includes the license by default. Would be a backwards step if Navigon expect people to pay for a premium device then pay extra for something which is free on the 8310.

Although I'm convinced that the 8410 / 50 is based on the same Navigon 7 software and not a new version completely I'm still very tempted. The manual just doesn't make it clear quite how much you can use the Voice control for.
Jammy1
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I currently have a TomTom 540 Live but I really like the look of the Navigon 8450 Live.

Does anyone know how the traffic systems differ between these two firms? Which is better? Pros and cons?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: