Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 940 unexpected Flat Battery
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 940 unexpected Flat Battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Go 940 unexpected Flat Battery Reply with quote

On Saturday after updating and using my Go I turned it off and put it in its case fully charged. Today when I came to use it, the battery was totally flat. It disabled bluetooth and live services and turned itself off with a very faint large picture of a battery. There were icons that were not normally present showing on the screen, there was the mobile phone with a cross through it, something blueish with a cross through it that I could not make out and a low battery icon.

Oddly although the battery was flat and I had power connected in the car mount, it was not charging and the LED was green which indicates fully charged. I removed the power from the mount and the green LED went out reconnected the power and the green LED came on but it would still not charge. The LED should not have been green when the battery was flat. I tried a few resets but this made no difference.

I arrived home and put it in the docking cradle and the LED instantly went orange and it started charging and would run from the power to the cradle. It charged up and the LED turned green again. I have turned it on several times over the evening and it appears to be keeping its charge.

I have tried it in the active mount in the house and it had the orange LED and charged until the LED turned green.

Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas what happened?

If the battery is on the way out I will need to get it replaced before the guarantee runs out.
washman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would check the car mount with a multimeter to make sure it is charging.

Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ONE v4 (easyport mount) keeps turning itself ON about every 3-4 days if I have not used it.

Perhaps yours GO did the same. Once this happens, if you do not see it turn On then the battery will drain. It then seems to need several start-stop charging inputs to get the battery to start charging again.

eg plug charger in for one min. remove and repeat 4-5 times before it will start charging as normal Laughing

Now happened to mine 3 times over the last 12 months. Must be an App bug Embarassed but that’s TT
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning itself on would account for it going flat in just over a day and over the past 24 hours is has not done this and the battery seems to be holding its full charge. I have the car mount and lead in the house and they are working OK.

Assuming it is turning itself on, what could be waking it from standby and is there any way of telling it has turned itself on other than by catching it in the act?

The other query is why when it was totally flat would it not take the charge on the first few attempts or run from power to the mount and show the green (fully charged LED) but the info screen showing empty battery?

I hope it is not that the design requires the processor to control the charging but without battery power the processor will not run and then it will not charge.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The green led light does not indicate a fully charged battery, just that the unit is receiving power from the source, whether the car charger or a usb connection.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The green led light does not indicate a fully charged battery, just that the unit is receiving power from the source, whether the car charger or a usb connection.

Not sure about other models but on the x40 the charging light is orange when powered / charging and it turns green when fully charged.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the manual the LED is orange whilst charging and turns green when fully charged and connected to the charger/USB, which is how mine usually behaves.
Henry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I've got exactly the same problem with my GO 740 Live, everything was fine before the last map upgrade… but now I can only get it to power up if it’s connected to the car kit or to the USB docking station. Always an orange led on top (indicating charging) instead of the normal green led.

I did notice that when I do a hard reset (hold down the power button for about 30 second) on text window, it says startup mode: Power down - even though this option is definitely not set in the preferences menu / battery option.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
1. Assuming it is turning itself on, what could be waking it from standby and is there any way of telling it has turned itself on other than by catching it in the act?

2. The other query is why when it was totally flat would it not take the charge on the first few attempts or run from power to the mount and show the green (fully charged LED) but the info screen showing empty battery?

3. I hope it is not that the design requires the processor to control the charging but without battery power the processor will not run and then it will not charge.

1. Software/Application bug Exclamation

2. The batteries seem to need a bit of a jump start when fully flat. Then when trying to power ON, the system can detect flat or low battery and will not turn ON until a certain amount of power is available from the battery.

3. Again, if the system detects low battery it may not turn ON as I said in 2.

The first time this happened to me I returned home to find my TT all lit up. First thing you think is who has been in the house.

The second time some months later it was sitting next to my main PC, and then just came to life as I was on these very forums Very Happy caught in the act Laughing
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently on holiday my wife hadn't charged her mobile so I put it on charge in the car. As my Go720 had been on charge all night, I expected it to last at least long enough to put enough charge into the mobile. Instead, before I'd even finished planning a route the low battery symbol popped up and then it turned off.

But last night, I was playing round with pois, favourites etc, running on battery and it was still running after about 45 minutes.

So I think it's more likely to be a software problem than a knackered battery.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: