Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to GPS use - got an old unknown TomTom model - many Qs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to GPS use - got an old unknown TomTom model - many Qs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea!
Sounds like THIS ONE?
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went ahead and did this from Andy's advice:

Try doing this with the version of Home you have got already, but you might need the older version of Home (v1.6) first - update as far as you can with that and then install Home v2 and update any further.

THANKS again.

Short story is it worked! My unit is now at v7.903 (9183) - confirmed from looking at the version info where Andy was kind enough to explain to me how to do that!

Long story is that I first installed the Home v1.6. It crashed almost immediately upon first running it with an application error. Started it again, tried to do something related to updates, got an error about not being able to connect to the server (or something like that).

Tried it again, this time it worked, said it found 2 updates, one was something called "phone book" (or something like that - i am going on memory here) another was something like program version.

I left both of those checked on, then it came back and said that the phone book thing was not valid for my machine (I have no idea what it is anyways). Then it went ahead & downloaded/installed a program update.

I let all that finish. Nosed around the program a little and noticed that it had set some default preferences I didn't like, things like "load TOMTOM home on PC startup" or "collect user data" (or something like that). Set those options OFF. Exited the program.

Turned off TOMTOM, turned disconnected from PC, powered it back on, checked the version info and it now says 7.903 (9183 / 08125) OS:2344.

At that point I powered it off then backed up the SD card again.

Then uninstalled TOMTOM HOME v1.6 on the PC and installed the newer 2.x version. Ran the new program as before, let it talk to the TOMTOM. The interface of TTHOME is way changed from 1.6 btw. The update process itself even ran different, bringing up a LOGIN screen to TT website (?) but gave me option of NOT logging in. Proceeded with update, took me to a screen that only has a bunch of voices on it, so I assume v1.6 did get me the latest program version OK. I don't think I need any of these voices again (I think they are already on there) but as they are small in size, and am wondering if maybe they are better quality than the old ones I had, I told it to "UPDATE & INSTALL" without deselecting any of the voices. I know I can delete any of these later in the device anyways since I am getting to be an expert ;-)

Actually I am still in the program, think I will ask some more questions. If already covered elsewhere just tell me to off and RTFM though!

The ADD TRAFFIC, VOICES, SAFETY CAMERAS, etc choice I am confused by. Clicking on it it has a ton of options like Traffic, Safety Cameras, Voices, POI, Color Schemes, Images and Icons, Sounds, Documents, Map Overlays, Items on MY computer, plus other choices that are greyed out. I explored the help on these to try to understand them all. Seems like most of them are pay for services, or ones that require additional types of connections. What I'm curious about is out of all this stuff, are any of these considered "must haves", or super useful to most people?

I also want to ask about the Preferences pull down selections. With this version at least it did not default to leaving the collection of usage stats on. It did default to "check for updates when device connected", "start TT HOME automatically", and "remember my password".

I turned all these off. I'd prefer to run the software myself when I want to, also do the updates manually. Is there anything I might be missing if I do that?

And what does it mean about remembering my password??? I have no password that I know of for anything to do with the TT. What password are they talking about????

Also, something I found annoying, I had exited the program, turned off the TT etc, removed the SD card, then inserted the card into my card reader with intent to manually back it up again but to my surprise TOM TOM HOME then fired up on its own interrupting me!!! I then saw that it had taken root in the system tray and was still "running". I exited that and rebooted and no longer see it, am not interrupted by it. I guess when you run the program it turns itself on in the system tray and leaves itself on. Didn't notice that but will be more aware next time I run it.

Looking around the DEVICE now I can see a lot of changes! The displays look much sharper/better with the newer software. And I have a bunch of new options and things subtly changed in different ways. Have a lot more to explore/learn about!!

Thanks again (everybody).
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockTamsonsBairn wrote:
I presumed that TomTom were well known in the States. I had seen the Indycar sponsorship (and I seem to remember a NASCAR deal as well) and, (ignoring the fact that Dario is Scottish!) just presumed they were a well known brand.

It may be for GPS users, but for an ignoramus like me that never really looked into them, it was either a name I never saw or was "in one ear out the other" kind of thing. But GARMIN is drilled into my brain, even for someone that never really looked into getting a GPS, there are ads for GARMIN at like every store I go into, every week in newspaper circular ads etc, I had no choice but to know about GARMIN - I didn't even know there WERE any other brands!

Maybe it is kind of like when you buy a new car though, then suddenly you notice all the other ones just like it driving around, whereas before they didn't register in your mind. In next week's newspaper ads for I will pay closer attention to the GPS units for sale & wonder if I will see some TomToms.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You set up an account at TomTom. The account consists of an email address (it doesn't even have to be a real one) and a password. It was that email address that was being referred to.

You SHOULD set up an account. You SHOULD enter the email address in Home and you SHOULD have it remember the address when you connect to Home.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
You set up an account at TomTom. The account consists of an email address (it doesn't even have to be a real one) and a password. It was that email address that was being referred to.

You SHOULD set up an account. You SHOULD enter the email address in Home and you SHOULD have it remember the address when you connect to Home.

Can you tell me what the function of that is? What benefit is it to me to have my email on file with TOMTOM?

I'm the type of person that in order to cut down on spam and unsolicited adverts I never fill out software or hardware registrations, unless for specific benefit (like in order to get a warranty).

I guess if I buy new maps or other addons I'll be getting an ID/email but until I do...I'm not sure what benefit registering has for me.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom device in US Reply with quote

Duddy wrote:
Over in the UK Maplin Electronics sell a mains plug-in device with a ciggy socket output rated 12v @ 1 amp and use your existing car charger. Look around in electronics adverts (eg Tandy in the UK was Radio Shack in the US)

I thought we needed 5V for the TT, not 12V???

Wait, I think I get it - the thing you mention must be for home use, that it is an AC/DC adapter that converts to 12V like your car supply, and you plug your car adapter INTO THAT, which then converts it to 5V and use that like you were in the car with the TT. Thus eliminating some of the other guess work with getting a power supply for home at right voltage, polarity, correct plug end etc.

Hmm. I actually think I used to have something like that. Gotta think...what did I do with it? Gotta check some more junk boxes!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, you manage to fit in lot of different questions every time! Stop it!

For a change, I'll work backwards this time....

Quote:
I thought we needed 5V for the TT, not 12V???

Wait, I think I get it - the thing you mention must be for home use, that it is an AC/DC adapter that converts to 12V like your car supply, and you plug your car adapter INTO THAT

Correct, spot on!

Quote:
I guess if I buy new maps or other addons I'll be getting an ID/email but until I do...I'm not sure what benefit registering has for me.

Not a great deal... You get some offers and notifications when new maps come out, that's about it. I don't think I got any extra spam from elsewhere because of registering.

As you say, if you want any addons, you need to register, but I'll repeat one thing dhn said...
if you register, it DOESN'T need to be with a real email address. So long as it is in the right format - someone@somewhere.com it will work perfectly well.

Quote:
The ADD TRAFFIC, VOICES, SAFETY CAMERAS, etc choice I am confused by.
Seems like most of them are pay for services, or ones that require additional types of connections. What I'm curious about is out of all this stuff, are any of these considered "must haves", or super useful to most people?

Firstly, you can use that section to reinstall stuff you have already downloaded onto your computer.
Secondly, a lot of the stuff on-line is free - things like many of the new voices, Points of interest, colour schemes, icons and screen backgrounds.

Whether any of that interests you, only you can say. A lot of people try all the new, gimmicky voices and soon tire of them and go back to the standard ones.
I use a different colour scheme, but I didn't find it via Home....
Same for sounds, I've added a lot of my own for the speed camera warnings, but other people might want new ringtones from the ones available in Home.
And that takes me onto another point; most of the things you can add can often be found easier just by going to other websites (like this one for POIs) and installing them manually, just by copy and pasting them into the right folders, without bothering with Home at all. I'm sure some people swear by it, it's entirely up to you.

Paid-for services... again it's up to you. I love the Google Search from the LIVE Services. I think the Fuel Prices could be useful, but the accuracy is not great at the moment.
Safety Cameras - much prefer the ones from here.

Quote:
I also want to ask about the Preferences pull down selections. With this version at least it did not default to leaving the collection of usage stats on. It did default to "check for updates when device connected", "start TT HOME automatically", and "remember my password".

Usage stats are ANONYMOUS, if you want to help improve aspects of the software, you can safely turn them back on.

Remember my password - It's the User ID/email address we were talking about before.
Remembering it can be very useful if you have several TomToms in the house as it automatically switches to the right log-in ID for each one when you plug the machine in.

Quote:
I had exited the program, turned off the TT etc, removed the SD card, then inserted the card into my card reader with intent to manually back it up again but to my surprise TOM TOM HOME then fired up on its own interrupting me!!! I then saw that it had taken root in the system tray and was still "running".

I guess they do it so that Home can run automatically when you plug the TomTom into the USB connection.
Yes, I find it annoying too.
The only way to stop it completely is to do a small edit to the Registry. I've forgotten what I did (it was a long time ago), but I'm sure it's been written up on either this or the yourTomTom forums.
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the help, people (especially Andy). I think I owe Andy a pint, or at least a "packet of crisps", next time I go over to the UK!

A couple more questions:

(1) One of the original things mentioned up here for me to check, by Richard/Oldboy (sorry I think I mistakenly called him OLDGUY earlier!), was to plug the TT in and charge it for about 2 hours then check the voltage and post that up here.

I still haven't been able to charge it that long in the car, but at home using the 4.5V charger I mentioned earlier, leaving it plugged in for a couple hours then checking the voltage unplugged, I get to about 4100-4200mv (something like 4156 or thereabouts).

Just curious if that figure is OK. I know it is not a perfect test since I am not using the 5v car charger for the recommended 2 hours. On that note, as suggested above I did buy a home AC to DC 12v adapter for use with the car adapter and plan on using that once I get it (ordered it online so I don't have it yet - very inexpensive btw, about $5!!).

(2) I noticed some extra things, or at least things I didn't notice before, after upgrading the software. There is an entire submenu of "HELP" options that looks handy, some that work (giving locations and phone #s for things like police stations, hospitals, car repair, even directions on how to get there) and some that don't work (first aide guide and "other" guides). Is there something I should do to either make the guides work (like downloading something) or is there a way to just delete them (since they don't work anyway)?

(3) There are many more pages of preferences than before (now something like 7 pages of preferences!), that aren't even in the user doc that I downloaded. Most I can figure out what they are, and learned more about up here searching/reading some threads. I want to ask about "ASN" though.

I didn't even know what it was at first but I understand it now. By default it is set to ON. I'm wondering if I should even bother with it though - here in the states "tunnels" are few and far between, at least anywhere I've ever been. Is there any overhead or other issue with leaving it on? Should I just disable it, or better to keep it on?

Thanks again.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your #2 - The first aid guides are a nice bit of "eye candy". I don't think I've ever looked a t them since the first play, so wouldn't miss them idf the menu wasn't there at all, but I understand fully how annoying it can be to have a bit that "doesn't work"..
Help is at hand though. TomTom have a download for the missing guides.

The link I've got is for the UK TomTom site so some things like the traffic laws might be different, but I think Fist Aid is the same all over!
Missing Help Me guides

Your #3 - Might as well leave it on. It won't come on unless you're in a tunnel anyway, so if you haven't got any, you'll never see it.

Too many calories in crisps, I'll stick to the pint thanks! Cheers!
elzar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS! Just found them at the USA site, thanks to you! Downloaded the help.zip, expanded, and easily moved over to my TT sdcard. Checking it out now.

The "other guides" look kind of interesting.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: