Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nuvi 255 - No icons from sd card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuvi 255 - No icons from sd card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
57southbound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 255 - No icons from sd card Reply with quote

Hi guys. My first real problem.

Nuvi 255 + 2 gig sd card.

Dowloaded and installed pocketgps complete UK database + andys vioce files on to the sd card - in a folder called cameras.

SD card also has this POI file

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs

in another folder.

Andy's voice reads out the alerts okay - but the camera icons are 'greyed' out.

Sort of works okay if loaded direct to the Nuvi - but then seems to show an abundance of mobile alerts on my local road (A217). Andys voice then doesn't speak the gatso alerts.

As they're wave files on the Nuvi - I really need to have them on the card.

No poi's loaded to the Nuvi when I have them on the card.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey icons are usually caused by having too many categories of POI installed. How many do you have? Try just having the Camera Database on it's own or reduce the number of categories below 255...

Quote:
but then seems to show an abundance of mobile alerts on my local road (A217)

What section of the A217 are you near? Some sections are heavily covered by mobile cameras, especially around Reigate to Kingswood. I have only ever seen a couple over the years but i know plenty of people who have been caught including my step daughter.
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SD card also has this POI file.........in another folder.

I have cameras, voices and POIs on the 2gb SD card in my 255WT - works fine.

But my cameras, voices and POIs are all in one single folder on the SD card. You have to load them all at once (from one composite file on your PC) with the POI loader.

When downloading POIs from the PGPSW site, you can use this option "Combine subcategories into category file" to reduce the number of POI categories.

Dales.
57southbound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Grey icons are usually caused by having too many categories of POI installed. How many do you have? Try just having the Camera Database on it's own or reduce the number of categories below 255...

Quote:
but then seems to show an abundance of mobile alerts on my local road (A217)

What section of the A217 are you near? Some sections are heavily covered by mobile cameras, especially around Reigate to Kingswood. I have only ever seen a couple over the years but i know plenty of people who have been caught including my step daughter.

Thanks guys. Have solved the icon problem. As mentioned above too many categories, all is working fine now from the card.

Paul. I am in Kingswood, so right on that piece of road. The mobiles there have been used this used in the last 3 months. I don't go towards Reigate much. There was one in Lower k near the gatso. A placethat sells white vans next to the garage. They have had a mobile parked there a few times next to the white vans for sale, they don't miss many tricks.

Also a new one AFAIk on Reigate Road. There is a known gatso close to the the junction with Nork Way. The road goes up hill there and becomes dual carriageway. Where the DC ends - a mobile was parked on the centre reservation last Wednesday. 30mph up there.

Back to my 217 camereas. Some of the mobiles are close to gatso's. The icons appear almost on top of each other. This results in only the voice alert giving the mobile warning and not the gatso.

I added 1500 ft to the proximity distance of the mobile, effectivly moving it up the road - but still no gatso warning. Is there a known distance the proximity points need to be apart, for both warnings to kick in?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am in Kingswood, so right on that piece of road. The mobiles there have been used this used in the last 3 months. I don't go towards Reigate much. There was one in Lower k near the gatso. A placethat sells white vans next to the garage. They have had a mobile parked there a few times next to the white vans for sale, they don't miss many tricks.

Saw that one a few months ago. On a return journey they'd moved over to the lay-by outside the static home park opposite.

As an ex-L&G employee i know they were operating up and down that stretch fairly often up to 10 years ago. I don't see them so often now as i don't tend to travel there during their operating hours as it were..

Quote:
Also a new one AFAIk on Reigate Road. There is a known gatso close to the the junction with Nork Way. The road goes up hill there and becomes dual carriageway. Where the DC ends - a mobile was parked on the centre reservation last Wednesday. 30mph up there.

Have you submitted it here?

Quote:
Some of the mobiles are close to gatso's. The icons appear almost on top of each other. This results in only the voice alert giving the mobile warning and not the gatso.

Sadly that's the way it happens. People will get wise to which way the cameras work and so they use the Mobile unit to catch those taking advantage of that information.

Quote:
I added 1500 ft to the proximity distance of the mobile, effectively moving it up the road - but still no gatso warning. Is there a known distance the proximity points need to be apart, for both warnings to kick in?

I never had a problem with this in the past when i used Garmin based units, however i also know the road and usually i don't worry about counting the audible alerts but instead use a quick scan of the screen to see what's what....
57southbound
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That mobile does appear to be known already, first time I've seen it. Smile I now have the unit working as I want, so thanks for your help.

Now going to experiment with things I don't think I need.... Laughing
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That mobile does appear to be known already, first time I've seen it.

Ah, but we ask that Mobiles already on the database are submitted again as "Seen Again" as if we don't receive reports for a mobile camera after a while it'll be removed from the database.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: