Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BackUps etc in latest HOME 2.7.1.1812
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BackUps etc in latest HOME 2.7.1.1812

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: BackUps etc in latest HOME 2.7.1.1812 Reply with quote

I've just noticed (perhaps I'm months out of date Confused ) but looking at Home Preferences, there are options as to where Downloads storage or, BackUp storage etc can be made via HOME.
Now I seem to think, could be wrong, that those destinations in the older Home were fixed, but in the current version it is possible to change the destination.
If that is right, then the need to manually BackUp via Explorer is no longer necessary.
All that is needed is a folder (Say BACKUP GO 630) with sub-folders each with the date of the BackUp (Backup Aug2009) and then each BackUp will not be overwritten as it was before.

Right Question
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folders for Downloads, Backups, Copy to Computer & Shared Items have been configurable for as long as I can remember in Home. They are certainly configurable in Home V 1.5.106 which I use for my PDA.

Many state here to do backups using Explorer and I assume that this is because Home does not copy all the files but I have never tested this out.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
The folders for Downloads, Backups, Copy to Computer & Shared Items have been configurable for as long as I can remember in Home. They are certainly configurable in Home V 1.5.106 which I use for my PDA.

Many state here to do backups using Explorer and I assume that this is because Home does not copy all the files but I have never tested this out.

My understanding of the reason for using Explorer to do backups is that Home overwrites previous backups. So, folders/files are created using Explorer to keep all backups and avoid losing the older ones. Hence, with your comment about the Home 'Preferences' options always being configurable, it seems more sensible to use Home rather than go to the trouble copying/pasting the contents of the device.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option for choosing the folders has always been there as MrT says.

I do backup occasionally using HOME, but have always renamed the older saves first so as not to over-write them.

Strange that not all backups via HOME are complete Exclamation
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prime reason for not trusting Home for backups is the overwriting of previous backups, quite a while ago Home also had a tendency to mess up some files making the folder and file names all lower case. This only affected the 910 LoquendoTTS files but it took hours to re-name the files to get TTS working, having done this myself on one occasion I decided to never use it again unless I have no viable option to update the device - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The prime reason for not trusting Home for backups is the overwriting of previous backups, quite a while ago Home also had a tendency to mess up some files making the folder and file names all lower case. This only affected the 910 LoquendoTTS files but it took hours to re-name the files to get TTS working, having done this myself on one occasion I decided to never use it again unless I have no viable option to update the device - Mike

Thanks for the clarification. Having now tried it, it works quite well, but with the creation of a new folder each time - either method - there is not much advantage in using Home, particularly if there is a likelyhood of some corruption. I had just not noticed the 'browse' option before and thought, in my ignorance, that it had changed. Embarassed
I will check in the folder to see, if I can, if file names are in l/c. The size of the Backup is exactly the same as my BackUp in May after installing the latest maps. But, then any small differences would not show up that way.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add my 2 cents .........

My biggest concern with Home's Backup/Restore routine is not so much the backup aspect as the Restore part. I've had members of forums report the Restore failed to do its job properly and, indeed, I experienced that too......

I am a strong proponent of the Explorer (or Finder for Macs) method for B?R.

Yeah, it might take a couple of minutes more than use Home's routine but how much time are you going to lose if your unit really gets butched and the Restore fails when you REALLY need it.........
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gee-Pee
I have an unfounded aversion to ‘Home’ and only use it to download a new map. Apart from that I leave it well alone.

I use Windows to make a Backup before installing a new map and another one after installing a new map. The method works fine and I see no reason to change things. Every month I also make a copy of the MapSettings.cfg file and that has come in handy on more than one occasion.

Yes, a proper Backup means no matter what happens one can do a Restore and be back to normal in just a few minutes. I have seen Posts on this Forum countless time from users in trouble when all that they needed was a Backup in place.
However, whether the Windows Backup is superior to the Tomtom Back up is a matter of debate.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both methods otherwise known as belt and braces you cant have too much of a good thing.

You may think its a bit over the top but I could tell you a long story of the time when I was an IT manager and took two two backups of some very important data knowing there was a very good chance it would have to be used and yes you have guessed it both of them failed.

So the moral of the story maybe third time lucky.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: