Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Radeon12345
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought iGO Europe about 2 weeks ago because TomTom were so slow at releasing it. I am very happy I didn't wait because comparing the two iGO is far better and I have free updates until December 2010, plus the full Europe map is only £69.99 Very Happy

Plus seeing the 3D terrain is great when driving. Unless TomTom make a gigantic change they will not be getting my money, this really is a pathetic release.
vlak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigfatjohn wrote:
Navigate to contact works for me.

I don't know why - I didn't do anything - it just works.

Same here. I tried several of my contacts and TomTom planned the routes with no issue.

Like others, I'm disappointed that there's no TTS + ALG. I do hope TomTom releases an update to add these features.

edit///
And of course, also would like the ability to use PGPSW's safety cams... with audible warnings.
Zookeeper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected a very weak product from TomTom at a very inflated price. I’m not surprised they didn’t launch it sooner as it a very lame product that is only a proof of concept for TomTom so they can say “We have an App… for that”.

For the moment I’m sticking with Co-Pilot 8 as I am very sure they have set the more acceptable standard and will be the ones pushing that bar up even higher in future updates and TomTom will be not for the iPhone punter. Their own hardware is still very poor even at their higher end of the scale.

Go for it Co-Pilot says I.

xGPS is still a product I like and is a step in the right direction (the next generation) for what should be happening now. Needing a data link to get maps via Google is very restrictive but all said and done it is a good product in my opinion.

I would love to be able to strip all these products back to bare metal and then build a new product (a dream team) that has all the best bits in it. PGPSW would have its place under the bonnet without any shadow of doubt. Sygic appear to be the ones that can cover most platforms and it is the likes of them that could just pull that sort of project from a conceptual drawing board and make it a reality.

What I would prefer is for PGPSW to be the core of such a project and then build a damn good turn by turn guidance system around that. Over a million visitors per month says that the needed experience is amongst them to develop your own world beating application and put the rest to shame. Why not ask them?

TomTom 0 – CoPilot 8 Laughing Out Loud
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

If you're a TomTom owner, this might be of interest:
gpsreview.net wrote:
I’ve had a few people ask how I was able to take a call and resume navigation. While the instructions are in the review, I’ll expand here.

You are navigating and a call comes in with the accept/deny buttons. Accept the call (1 tap). Now click on the home button below the display… the physical round button (2nd tap). This takes you back to your ‘home’ screen, tap on the TomTom app icon (3rd tap, assuming it is on page 1) and your call continues while you are navigating.

Read it here.

I guess this is about as good as one could hope without further assistance from Apple.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Worrying... Reply with quote

TomTom for iPhone owners, is there any truth in worrying reports that running TomTom and the iPod simultaneously drains the battery faster than it can charge? If so, add in the active components of the forthcoming mount, and 'Huston, we may have a problem'.
T5Dave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely the lack of custom poi files is more to do with Apple not wanting users to have access to the underlying filesystem rather than TomTom specifically not including it as a feature?

Isn't there some bumpf in the app store t's and c's that details about user-accessible uploads for application and device stability?

Live services would probably be incompatible due to the O2 (UK) exclusitvity of the iPhone and the Vodafone hook up with TomTom for Live.

TTS might be simply down to putting extra load on the device, remember - this is a convergence device, not a standalone device. If you run a hacked version of the TT PND software on an older device (Go 3/5/700 etc), you'll find the performance of it slows to a crawl with TTS (or has been my experience anyway).

I think a lot of people expect the app to do too much, while still retaining the other features of the iPhone. There has to be a limit and it's quite possible that in this first version, those limits haven't been overcome yet.
Hitone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nashmills wrote:
Navigate to Contact doesn't work for me. TomTom always says it doesn't recognise the address format (or words to that effect). They are all standard UK addresses with postcodes.

Likewise - standard format address and not recognised
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No expert on TomTom, as you can tell, but have you the same formats? I had a problem with some POIs where the address field had commas and I had to strip them out. Might this be a similar formatting problem?
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
TomTom for iPhone owners, is there any truth in worrying reports that running TomTom and the iPod simultaneously drains the battery faster than it can charge? If so, add in the active components of the forthcoming mount, and 'Huston, we may have a problem'.

There's no battery drain when charging, power is taken from the charger, not the battery.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5Dave wrote:
Surely the lack of custom poi files is more to do with Apple not wanting users to have access to the underlying filesystem rather than TomTom specifically not including it as a feature?

I can access Iconic Notes via a web service to up/download notes as much as I like. Air Sharing/FileMagic and many others enable access to up/download files from application-specific storage areas - it doesn't require access to the underlying file system, just a directory assigned to the application.

Quote:
Isn't there some bumpf in the app store t's and c's that details about user-accessible uploads for application and device stability?

As above... all perfectly legal.

Quote:
Live services would probably be incompatible due to the O2 (UK) exclusitvity of the iPhone and the Vodafone hook up with TomTom for Live.

That might be a case in point for the UK, but this is a global limitation. Besides, most live services use a fraction of the bandwidth that many other existing iPhone applications do - we're not streaming audio here.

As for exclusivity, Vodafone would love O2 users to be using their data (I asked). Doesn't affect their PNDs.

Quote:
TTS might be simply down to putting extra load on the device, remember - this is a convergence device, not a standalone device. If you run a hacked version of the TT PND software on an older device (Go 3/5/700 etc), you'll find the performance of it slows to a crawl with TTS (or has been my experience anyway).

I'm remembering it's a 'convergence device' (that term again). The Palm Treo 600 was a convergent device, running TomTom Navigator 5 OTA Traffic updates, access to POI management, Custom voices, alerts, weather... in 2004!

Quote:
I think a lot of people expect the app to do too much, while still retaining the other features of the iPhone. There has to be a limit and it's quite possible that in this first version, those limits haven't been overcome yet.

Like I said previously, role on the updates that bring traffic and other live services, map share, POI management and all the other 'cutting edge' capabilities TomTom PNDs already have.

Last edited by bedbug on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hitone wrote:
nashmills wrote:
Navigate to Contact doesn't work for me. TomTom always says it doesn't recognise the address format (or words to that effect). They are all standard UK addresses with postcodes.

Likewise - standard format address and not recognised

Same problem here, and the only thing thats non standard is the way Apple transfer & store the address details. All my contacts are stored in Outlook/Exchange with postcodes in the correct fields. All other SAT Nav products can handle them.

My biggest issue with this release is the cost of the product combined with the mount £120 for the mount & european maps would seem fair. It's clear that TomTom have not learnt from their PDA experiences, charge too much and users will pirate the product instead of purchasing it. This is what is already happening with the iPhone product, Co-Pilot doesn't seem to have this issue and I'm guessing it due to the fair price they are charging.

The product has been rushed out, even the software has an option for the new mount, when selecting it a screen is displayed showing a 'coming soon' message.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
bedbug wrote:

There's no battery drain when charging, power is taken from the charger, not the battery.

Do you mean the in the case of the cradle?

I can pretty much drain a 3G battery (to 10%), switch to a charging cable and continue to use the iPhone for several hours, then disconnect the charging cable and get an immediate 10% battery remaining warning. Without using it, the battery would fully charge over the same period.

You sure about that?
wise1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:

TBH I have this issue with CoPilot but not with Tom Tom (still showing 100% at end of 45min journey).
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

wise1 wrote:
TBH I have this issue with CoPilot but not with Tom Tom (still showing 100% at end of 45min journey).

Wow - impressive! Care to swap batteries? Laughing

You on 3G or 3GS?
wise1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Worrying... Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
wise1 wrote:

Wow - impressive! Care to swap batteries? Laughing

You on 3G or 3GS?

Laughing Out Loud teach me to not be clear...... I'm on a 3GS btw.

What I mean't was if I plug it into my car charger and run CoPilot I get a noticable reduction say 5 to 10%. But with TomTom in the same situation it stayed at the same - so it started out at 100% and at the end of the 45min journey it was still showing 100%...

however I don't know if it started out at say 80% whether or not it would gain any charge... something for me to test on the way home from work me thinks......

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: