Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPRS Traffic
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPRS Traffic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: GPRS Traffic Reply with quote

I renewed my GPRS traffic subscription yesterday, but it is not yet activated. The device shows that the subscription expired 11.07/2009.

Do I need to keep connected to the PC or mobile until its activated. I was wondering how the device recognises that the subs have been renewed?

cheers

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server you log on to for the traffic information recognises whether you have a subscription or not and will either give or deny access.

From experience I have always found activation almost immediate, so you may have a problem here. When you next connect the device to the traffic system via GPRS it should update your device with the new date for the traffic subscription.

If it denies access when you try to connect to traffic I would contact TT Support by phone.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I fixed it. What I did was select Manage Phones, and then when asked for my email address and password, I re-entered them. Hey Presto: immediate connection.
Thanks for the suggstion though!

At £29.95 for 12 months it seems to be better value than HD traffic, although I don't know how they compare with each other for accuracy. Anyone know?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to compare the GPRS to HD traffic, look at the traffic on your unit then look at the TTRoutes on the web with traffic enabled and you will see the difference. The HD has additional inputs to the normal traffic and it also covers roads that the GPRS traffic does not. It is up to the user if the extra accuracy is worth the additional cost. There is also the TMC traffic option which is free to use.

The HD traffic service also includes the cost of the GPRS data traffic which has to be paid for on the mobile along with the traffic for any other TT data services used. There will also be international roaming in HD traffic countries later this year included in the cost and data roaming over GPRS can cost a fortune.
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
There will also be international roaming in HD traffic countries later this year included in the cost and data roaming over GPRS can cost a fortune.

And isn't it a great shame for some of us *20 users who want it, that TomTom dropped plans to make HD traffic available to our existiing units. I only hope they can reconsider and/or find it cost effective to offer it in the future, once the *40's have had their sales run.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
It is up to the user if the extra accuracy is worth the additional cost. There is also the TMC traffic option which is free to use.

I've got a TMC receiver that came with the unit, but it got bad press, so I have never actually connected it to compare with GPRS data. I take it from your comments that its the same feed as the GPORS data?

As far as roaming is concerned, I know it's not an option for overseas use and I cannot see it being a requirement for me anyway.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen differences between the TMC and GPRS data and I do not know whether this is due to different original sources or the subsequent processing of the data by TomTom for the GPRS.

I bought the 530T thinking that this would be free traffic for my wife as she does not need it enough to pay for the GPRS service, but I found it took so long to get a signal that it was just not reliable enough and I ended up subscribing to the GPRS service for it. I might try and compare the information between the two and see if I can get the TMC to work with an external aerial before the annual renewal and then decide which way to go.

I was going to consider setting up an external aerial for TMC for my car and the 940 for my trip to France but seeing that HD roaming is around the corner and that the roads I drive on (mainly the D940) are probably not covered by the TMC I have not bothered. I have actually never seen an incident on the TT Routes website on the D940 so whether there are never any delays or if the road is not HD covered, I do not know.

Unfortunately I do not have complete faith in either system so I also have TrafficTV on my mobile and this tracks by GPS and downloads GPRS data so I can seen traffic delays on major roads around me and the rest of the UK. If I see a delay on both this and the Go I know there really is an issue and avoid it if the delay is significant.
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. I was going to ask you about Traffic TV as I am a sucker for gadgets. Unfortunately I don't have an iPhone (or Blackberry), so no point asking.

I am a bit sceptical about the GPRS traffic information too, as whilst I am quite prepared to cough up the subscriptions every year, I have never allowed it to re-route me around any delays it displays.

I must say the only time I have been caught out, I was already in the queue so it didn't help. Not the units fault though, as I was quite near the front so the alert couldn't have reached me in time. I did get an alert whilst I was still stationary though!

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
I bought the 530T thinking that this would be free traffic for my wife as she does not need it enough to pay for the GPRS service, but I found it took so long to get a signal that it was just not reliable enough and I ended up subscribing to the GPRS service for it.

I believe that if you can get the RDS-TMC connected (to the service transmissions), it'll be useful, albeit within the limitations of all the traffic services.

The trick I think is getting the antenna positioned to get the signal. For me, I have the 920 in the centre bottom of my windscreen, then the antenna running left along the bottom, then vertically up along the side of, but two or three inches away from, the side pillar. For my vehicle it took a couple of tries to find a decent layout and other people use different from mine. If you have the TT at the bottom right of the windscreen, run the antenna vertically beside (two to three inches away from) the pillar, then horizontally across (two to three inches away from) the top of the windscreen. Although I'm told there are some parts of the country with poor transmission, I have to say I've never seemed to lose signal wherever I've been (and I've been everywhere, man!!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those comments Dennis.

Are you able to compare and comment on the speed/accuracy of the RDS TMS alerts against those recieved via a GPRS connection?

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS-TMC traffic data is the same as the GPRS traffic data. The only difference is that the GPRS data covers the whole country whereas the RDS-TMC traffic only gives you traffic around 100miles from your current position.

So on a trip from Newcastle to London, the GPRS traffic would know ALL traffic incidents on the route from start to finish, but the RDS-TMC would only know the first 100 miles worth of traffic, and get updates as the route progresses.

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timing is the limitation for both systems, I'm afraid, but so is Radio station traffic (I have Radio Five Live on all the time).

Requirements are for somebody to report an incident, somebody to compile it into a format for transmission, somebody to transmit it. Those last two may be subject to a policy on how frequently it's done. My personal opinion is it MUST take an absolute minimum of half an hour.

Yesterday I texted Radio Five at 11:05am with an RTA on the M4 within moments of it happening - people just getting out and no sign of emergency services, including a Highways Agency vehicle maybe half a mile back in the building traffic and he wasn't aware (no flashing lights).

I was never credited with the report and it didn't come up on Radio Five until the 11:45 update. I turned round to come back and it showed up on RDS-TMC at about 12:15. It disappeared from both RDS-TMC and Radio Five at 1:15.

This seemed to me to be quite a lot better than usual for both systems.

For me, GPRS would be better if only it were free! I would prefer to know about incidents a long way ahead - travelling from Bristol to Edinburgh I could use alternative routes (rather than TomTom re-routing closer to an incident) if I knew far enough in advance. The transmission is reported to be more reliable via your phone and some people have had issues with RDS-TMC loss of signal, although I haven't.

I mentioned "limitations" and that's the rub - they are as accurate and speedy as the three human elements make them. Excellent concept, just can't possibly be perfect - treat them as advisory, that's what I do.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: