Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom - to much choice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom - to much choice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: TomTom - to much choice Reply with quote

Am I on my own in thinking that the TomTom range has now got to large and bewildering? I was in Halfords at the weekend buying something for my nephew and I stopped to have a look at the latest TomTom devices. After a couple of minutes I had headache, IQ routes, HD Traffic, Advanced Lanes etc. etc. There was model after model, varying prices different maps. I'm not sure who it assists as there was a potential customer looking at them and they moved on to look at a competitors products complaining there were simply to many devices and how on earth were they expected to make an informed choice. I had to agree with them, I am getting to the stage where my GO 300 has seen better days but I keep putting it off as I simply can't be bothered wading through all the different specs.

One more question - Live Traffic or whatever its called. If there is no minimum contract but one has to give a months notice to quit how then can you purchase just one months worth of contract? Confused
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using Tomtom Home, you can purchase a month by month subscription to the LIVE services.

Also available are 6 and 12 month packages. I believe the 12 month one is discounted slightly.

iPhone 12
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Using Tomtom Home, you can purchase a month by month subscription to the LIVE services.

Also available are 6 and 12 month packages. I believe the 12 month one is discounted slightly.

On that basis you would have to purchase one month and cancel it minutes later as TomTom state you need to give a months notice if you cancel????????????????
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and in theory thats bearable! But in practise, buried in the terms and conditions they actually charge you for a further 2 months according to user reports! :o

iPhone 12
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Live 12 Month Subscription Card is £71.88 if bought from qvc.co.uk. And go through quidco.com to get a further 5% cashback which will cancel out the £3.99 postal charge.

Seems a good deal and if it wasn't for that price I might not have extended the subscription after the 3 months ends.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I no longer do any professional driving I would only want the Live subscription for holiday periods which would be two 2 week periods, so at the most would only want to purchase a months worth perhaps twice a year. From what I am reading this simply isn't possible then?
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I on my own then in thinking there is now simply too much choice - see below?

Quote:
Am I on my own in thinking that the TomTom range has now got to large and bewildering? I was in Halfords at the weekend buying something for my nephew and I stopped to have a look at the latest TomTom devices. After a couple of minutes I had headache, IQ routes, HD Traffic, Advanced Lanes etc. etc. There was model after model, varying prices different maps. I'm not sure who it assists as there was a potential customer looking at them and they moved on to look at a competitors products complaining there were simply to many devices and how on earth were they expected to make an informed choice. I had to agree with them, I am getting to the stage where my GO 300 has seen better days but I keep putting it off as I simply can't be bothered wading through all the different specs.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps if TomTom were to sell a scratch card type Live activation code via some of the major retailers at £20+ for four weeks Live service it might get a few users interested, that siad the current subscription doesn't offer such a capability and is based upon users who purchase a Live device wanting the Live services 365 days a year.

Any thoughts on a reasonable price for four weeks access to the services offered? - Mike
aerotec
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't pay more than £12.99 for a monthly scratch card.

I really think they need to revisit the Live subscription fee. Even an offer like 50% off the £annual £94.99 fee for those who have just bought a unit would help build the subscriber numbers.

I have Just bought a 12 month subscription from QVC for £70 after Quidco Cashback. If it had been any more I probably would have given RDS-TMC a go for a few months and held off subscribing for a few months.
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well given the replies for the Live service I think the choice just got a whole lot smaller - i.e. something like XL IQ Routes edition Europe will do the job nicely thank you TomTom.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust wrote:
something like XL IQ Routes edition Europe will do the job nicely thank you TomTom.

A very capable device that performs well, non of th ebells and whistles you get with the Go-x40 devices but you do get the Live and IQ Routes with no real issues - To be honest it is my default device at the moment - Mike
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you do get the Live and IQ Routes with no real issues - To be honest it is my default device at the moment - Mike

Did you mean you get "Live" with this model or was it a mistake as the TomTom website makes no mention of it though it does do the identical model for another £20 called - XL LIVE IQ Routes Europe
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only get the Live services with devices that have Live in the name, the XL IQ Live is a great device, if you don't want Live services with the unit then consider the XL IQ which doesn't have Live.
You cannot retro fit the ive capability to a device it has to have the hardware built in from the outset - Mike
Faust
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You only get the Live services with devices that have Live in the name, the XL IQ Live is a great device, if you don't want Live services with the unit then consider the XL IQ which doesn't have Live.
You cannot retro fit the ive capability to a device it has to have the hardware built in from the outset - Mike

Thanks for that info Mike. The wise move may be to pay the extra £20 for the XL Live IQ even if I don't intend to pay for the Live services as they are structured at present. At least if things change the unit will have the capability for Live services should I choose to purchase them at some future date.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: