Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which One? TT Go, TT3 Palm or TT3 Pocket?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which One? TT Go, TT3 Palm or TT3 Pocket?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Which One? TT Go, TT3 Palm or TT3 Pocket? Reply with quote

I am on the lookout for a sat nav for my taxi for when working in and around Blackpool and when travelling down to Spain (on holiday).

I have set my sights on a TomTom but too be honest I admit to being a little disheartened to read some of your comments on the product and am now having second thoughts.

I quite like the idea of the TT Go as it is an all in one piece of equipment instead of a pocket or a palm where your GPS receiver is seperate.

On the TT Go and TT Palm (Tungsten) are there errors on these products that are on the TT Pocket?

Basically all I am asking is in your minds which product do you think is the best, TT Go, TT Palm or TT Pocket?

Thanks in advance.

Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really in a position to answer your questions - but I believe Go is not yet available to buy (if it is, nobody has yet posted their experiences here), and the Palm product is much newer than the Pocket PC one, as well as only working on two possible Palm models.

Maybe Mike will be able to give you some insight - bearing in mind that he wrote the Navigator for Palm review.

Be aware that, at the moment, Navigator for Palm has no support for POI files, and I don't believe there's any POI warning software for it, either. I believe there's no plans to support TomTom Traffic in the current version of Navigator for Palm either.

Go has the advantage that it has an inertial sensor, so it will continue to navigate if you temporarily lose GPS signals.

David
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
Be aware that, at the moment, Navigator for Palm has no support for POI files, and I don't believe there's any POI warning software for it, either.David

This is because currently the Palm operating system can only run one program at a time. On Pocket PC all these products (including ours) run as separate programs, and simply interact with Navigator. This isn't possible on the Palm, though early information on the next release of Palm OS implies that this will be supported by the OS, to allow application developers to work with each other.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Palm still allow for multiple programs running in memory, or is it just saving the state ? I've found before that if I open up one program, goto a screen or type some text, then goto another one, then click home and go back to the first app it seems to keep the data there, or am I missing something ?

Certainly the Palm and GO release currently have no support for add-on customisable POI's at the moment.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's just state-saving on the application as you switch away from it. Part of the Palm developer guidelines are that applications start very quickly, giving the appearance of being always running.

I know Palm OS 5 has some limited multitasking support but I don't think it's real multitasking and more for system-level stuff than applications, but the information on Palm OS Cobalt (the name for Palm OS 6) specifically talks about it being a "multitasking and multithreading OS". Whether this means an end to the reliability of Palm OS is another matter, of course...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which One? TT Go, TT3 Palm or TT3 Pocket? Reply with quote

MrRubberGloves wrote:
Which One? TT Go, TT3 Palm or TT3 Pocket?

Basically if you want the full lot including Customisable POI's including Speed Cameras I'd have to say Pocket PC at the moment. TomTom Go is (I mean will be) good but it's basically a port of the Palm OS version without Customisable POI's.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trafcam wrote:
Yes, that's just state-saving on the application as you switch away from it. Part of the Palm developer guidelines are that applications start very quickly, giving the appearance of being always running.

I know Palm OS 5 has some limited multitasking support but I don't think it's real multitasking and more for system-level stuff than applications, but the information on Palm OS Cobalt (the name for Palm OS 6) specifically talks about it being a "multitasking and multithreading OS". Whether this means an end to the reliability of Palm OS is another matter, of course...

The Palm's certainly are coming up close behind the Windows Mobile Embedded OS but I do still think that Palm OS has a little more way to go before it's finally caught up before it tries to overtake Microsoft. I've been using a T2 a lot lately, both in Navigating (we've got some Palm reviews coming up soon) and also a lot for eBook reading and I do like the compactness of the T2, the size in general (when closed) and the battery life compared to my 2210 which really now feels like a brick! Let's hope that Palm does really get a true multitasking and threading OS, I can't see why they can't because the processor should support it.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overtake Microsoft? It's only in the last couple of months that PPC market share has outshadowed that of Palm.

I think Palm's problem is that they had a few years of in-fighting and messing around, and it showed in the products like the m105, m500 series - they were all pretty much the same thing, with little to choose between them. Now the Tungsten range and the Treo devices is starting to have the same facilities that the Pocket PC devices have, it's now the Pocket PCs that all look the same. To be fair this is largely down to the PPC specification, but the fact that Palm OS only supported 160x160 screens didn't stop Sony bringing out Hires on the Clie's long before Palm did their version.

One thing you can say for Microsoft is that they're good at selling - witness the sheer number of manufacturers offering Pocket PC devices, far more in number than those offering Palm OS devices. Though it does say something that even with all that choice, it's taken this long for PPC to match the sales figures.

Anyone get the impression I'm a Palm fan?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be a heavy palm user, but switched to the Casio E105 and haven't looked back since (well once or twice-but there was no comparison). The T2 and T3 are the closest Palm have come to the Pocket PC and I do like them, the only thing is the Palm OS just like Windows CE isn't 100% robust, in my testing recently I've been hitting the soft reset switch nearly as much as I do on the Pocket PC :x

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: